JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

brian crower stage 2 cams?

Old 07-23-2008, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRAP1,Jul 22 2008, 07:38 PM
I forgot to mention that I'll be getting his valve springs and retainers, and also new valves. BTW, I'm not throwing much money away.
Well if you insist on going through with it, don't give up. Even though you will lose power you can correct it by getting more air into your engine to utilize the full potential of those cams.

ITB's (52mm+) or FI is your only fix.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=midnightsunset,Jul 23 2008, 01:24 AM]Well if you insist on going through with it, don't give up.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:51 AM

I think that these cams can make a power increase, how much, idk. But you will need to base your intake manifold and header around the design of your cam. Also be sure to get adjustable cam gears to be able to tweak with the events a little.

The s2000 doesn't work out like the normal B series where you can just slap in a cam and call it a day and make power. Lots of other stuff involved to make it work right.
With that said, Once my bottom end build is done, I might be trying out BC stage 3 cams. not sure yet though
Old 07-23-2008, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by NFRAP1,Jul 23 2008, 09:23 AM
Have you run these? I'm just curious to why everyone talks down on these cams? He has a seperate set of cams for FI.

Thanks for the info and opinions everyone.
I don't have firsthand experience with these cams, but many of my opinions are based on fact.

Fact: MANY have run these cams before and lost power. BC did pull these cams for a while off their site.
- BC needed to figure out what was wrong. The conclusion was that they were good, they just needed the proper mods to match the cams.

Fact: BC built his company on cams and that is what he is known for. He will not risk his rep for one car.
- They work, but are NOT a bolt-on/drop-in mod and that SHOULD reflect on his site. However, that would cost sales so "Not street legal" will suffice.

Fact: He is the only well known company, if not the only company, advertising the use of BC cams.
- Toda is better

Fact: When I was in the market for cams and tried to buy them the vendor told me no and declined my money.
- You should know that the vendor was also the tuner and knew from experience my car was not ready. I validated this with 2 other tuners including the elusive Hytech.

I don't have firsthand experience with these cams, but many of my opinions are based on fact
Old 07-23-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Didnt someone with 400whp turbo dyno with the BC cams and still loose hp? (please correct me if i am wrong)

so does anyone even know WHAT mods they match?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:22 PM

I don't think such mods exist. Which is why these cams still won't make power. But I guess any mod that increases air flow. So ITBs/FI and a little head work should help, in theory.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthimageS2k,Jul 23 2008, 10:51 AM
I think that these cams can make a power increase, how much, idk. But you will need to base your intake manifold and header around the design of your cam. Also be sure to get adjustable cam gears to be able to tweak with the events a little.

The s2000 doesn't work out like the normal B series where you can just slap in a cam and call it a day and make power. Lots of other stuff involved to make it work right.
With that said, Once my bottom end build is done, I might be trying out BC stage 3 cams. not sure yet though
The stage III cams will be even worse then the stage IIs. This engine does not need a lot more lift and duration.

The spec C todas produce less power then the spec a2s, that's why every built Japanese engine from the big tuners use the spec a2 toda cams and not the spec B or Cs. Even the ap1 intake stock cam already has 12.5mm of lift, which is a lot!

I made more power NA from *decreasing* duration on the stock AP1 / AP2 cam combo.

The big bottlenexk on the S2000 is the intake manifold. That's why the ITB/cam combo has proven to be very good not only with Hytech, but with Toda A2 cams as well.

The stock cams completely tap out the stock IM (and probably the stock exhaust system as well).
Old 07-23-2008, 06:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan,Jul 23 2008, 07:03 PM
Didnt someone with 400whp turbo dyno with the BC cams and still loose hp? (please correct me if i am wrong)

so does anyone even know WHAT mods they match?
I have not seen conclusive proof that the BC cams work with any setup, but at a minimum ITBs, cam gears, Js or Hytech header, TP and 70mm+ exhaust. And obviously tuning capability.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I blew my motor up testing all his N/A cams, as direct testing for BC. TOO much ramp speed was the verdict putting the dual valve springs in a bind. Using his valvetrain.........
Old 07-23-2008, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by 4bang6,Jul 23 2008, 07:44 PM
I blew my motor up testing all his N/A cams, as direct testing for BC. TOO much ramp speed was the verdict putting the dual valve springs in a bind. Using his valvetrain.........
Then I have a few questions.....

Motor setup at the time (I noticed a 2.7 in your sig)?
I am assuming this was for prototype testing, not the actual finalized product?
Straight from Brian's mouth, all prototype testing, was successful and demonstrated in a few races. How did you hook up with him to test this? Or is this your own independent testing?

Quick Reply: brian crower stage 2 cams?