S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   JDM Tuning (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/jdm-tuning-148/)
-   -   Buddy Club RS Coilovers (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/jdm-tuning-148/buddy-club-rs-coilovers-291004/)

cornercompacts 05-14-2005 06:21 PM

Buddy Club RS Coilovers

i've done a lot of research as well as countless searches and found a lot of useful info. However, one thing i didn't find was how these coilovers are from a drivers perspective, with such high spring rates do they induce oversteer? make the car less predictable/harder to control?

any input is greatly appreciated, thanks

Kel 05-14-2005 09:31 PM

From my research(on the board and links to other sites from posts on this board), this is what I've found in general. As your springs get stiffer, the less forgiving your mistakes in steering will become, or rather, the smoother your driving has to become. Wether the coilovers will induce oversteer is dependent on your tires, alignment, damper settings, sway bars and a slew of other variables. I like to believe that the minimum to getting coilovers, is when you can drive consistantly(ie: take the same line, the same throttle control, etc.) in order to tune efficiently. Even then, I don't know any tracks that offer section timing.

Brownergy 05-18-2005 06:45 PM

Stiffer spring rates should be mated with R compound tires. The stiffer the springs, the more adbruptly the car rolls and the quicker the tires loose grip. A softer suspension helps the car transfer weight on to the tires, but the more the body rolls causing the tires to eventually become overloaded. You want to try to find a happy medium, it's a tedious and time consuming procedure, but I think an off the shelf kit like the RS will not be too stiff for most high performance street tires. I don't think this explains it clearly enough, maybe HunterEz can pick me up where I fell down.

cornercompacts 05-19-2005 12:51 PM

i plan on autocrossing the car, and its also a daily driver. I've researched the coilover market for the s2000 for almost a year now and have narrowed it down to the Bilstein PSS, Bilstein PSS9, and the Buddy Club RS seeing how i want to keep it in that price range. I was set on the PSS9 but the price just jumped back up to over $1800, so i'm left to decide between the PSS or the Buddy Club RS. For my needs what would you choose? Would the PSS be too soft (spring rates 345 front/ 285 rear). I'm planning to purchase in the near future seeing how i can get the pss for $900 and there is a group buy on the Buddy Club RS right now. Please help. Thanks guys I appreciate it.

Project SSAP1 05-19-2005 07:24 PM

i would look around for a set of those bilstein PSS9...they can still be had for around 1500..its a tad better than 1800...but still not as cheap as earlier this year...i love those pss9's but they seem to soft esp the rear spring rates...i think these would make a hug difference over the BC's...and u live in NY..whoa...dont go crazy with the spring rates...it will not be comfy if u drive your s2k everyday

http://www.hopupracing.com/bipesusywi9d3.html

my other downside of those pss9 is the fact that they dont come with upper mounts...booooooooo

Kel 05-19-2005 07:31 PM

PSS9's are on my list of coilovers to consider. I've heard alot of good things about from some local guys. I was looking at them because:
A. The ration of the spring rates F/R are similar to 02-03 spring ratios.
B. Bilstein is a reputable shock builder.
C. The spring rates will not kill your back on the street. I have a bucket seat and it already gets pretty run on stock suspension.
D. Bilstein USA is in Poway/San Diego, which is somewhat nearby.

cornercompacts 05-19-2005 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Project SSAP1,May 19 2005, 07:24 PM
i would look around for a set of those bilstein PSS9...they can still be had for around 1500..its a tad better than 1800...but still not as cheap as earlier this year...i love those pss9's but they seem to soft esp the rear spring rates...i think these would make a hug difference over the BC's...and u live in NY..whoa...dont go crazy with the spring rates...it will not be comfy if u drive your s2k everyday

http://www.hopupracing.com/bipesusywi9d3.html

my other downside of those pss9 is the fact that they dont come with upper mounts...booooooooo

hahahaha, i don't live in Brooklyn, NY. I live in Brooklyn, CT (the original brooklyn! ha)

but to keep it on topic, do you think that the almost $1000 more for the PSS9's over the PSS is worth it?

thanks again

cornercompacts 05-22-2005 01:31 PM

bump, anyone?

Kel 05-22-2005 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by cornercompacts,May 19 2005, 10:12 PM
hahahaha, i don't live in Brooklyn, NY. I live in Brooklyn, CT (the original brooklyn! ha)

but to keep it on topic, do you think that the almost $1000 more for the PSS9's over the PSS is worth it?

thanks again

What about Ground Control sleeves? If you're even considering the PSS why not? They can be built to whatever spring rate you want.

cornercompacts 05-22-2005 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by HunterEz,May 22 2005, 01:58 PM
What about Ground Control sleeves? If you're even considering the PSS why not? They can be built to whatever spring rate you want.

i will not get anything less than a fully coilover setup b/c i like the fact that the shocks are valved correctly for the springs.