JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

JDM rollbars

Old 05-05-2005, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do-Luck has their version of the same piece... seems Cusco is the only company I've seen use a crossmember instead of seperate bars running along the floor... then again, Cuscos also look less beefy in comparison to the others...
Old 05-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Kel

Maybe cusco's crossmember is meant to be used with their front u brace? ASM appearently uses the same design in their lower chassis bars.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Ben

I'm actually very friendly with the folks at Okuyama. I'm sure that I could convince them to produce a roll cage with a support bar over the passenger's head (driver head in America). The problem that I'd need to place at least 5-10 orders for the same bar for them to take the time to produce a non cataloged part.

I hoenstly dont think enough people know about Okuyama to create enough demand for a special US Market produced roll cage for the S2000. But if I happend to get 5+ orders, I'm pretty sure I could make it happen for the same price as the Japanese spec 5 point cage $1044.22.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Kel

Anything about the harness bar Ben?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Ben

oops...I forgot about that. Getting Okuyama to produce a new cage design that incorporates a harness bar is a more signifcant request. Getting things like that done is not impossible, but it usually requires a lot of motivation (a big order) to get done.

I wouldnt count on it....put it that way.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VeilsideAP1,May 5 2005, 11:59 AM
as long as when I need it it works, then it's not just bling... I can't run SCCA, but hey, I'm fine with that...
You know, the whole reason why it is not SCCA-approved is that it is very unlikely that it will work when you need it to work.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Kel

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,May 5 2005, 01:07 PM
You know, the whole reason why it is not SCCA-approved is that it is very unlikely that it will work when you need it to work.
Mike, I'd like to get your opinion on Okuyama's design here:

I know the crossmember bar is pointing the other way, but how does that look to you? Granted, there are I can't find pictures of how the rear diagonals are attached. Whats the difference in structural integrity if say, the diagonal is under the main hoop instead of the rear facing diagonals?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Ben

That comment couldnt be further from the truth. Dash Sports products are used by almost 100% of the Rally teams in Japan. Do you think that a track day rollover could even begin to compare to what goes on with WRC rally cars?

The Dash Sports roll cage complies with every racing regulation in Japan. SCCA uses SAE rather than metric if I recall for their standards and honestly, Japanese manufactureres dont have the slighest interest in SCCA currently.

In short, if you're racing in SCCA, buy an American made cage that was designed to be SCCA compliant. But dont use those cages in Japan beause they wont be compliant with Japanese regulations.

If you want a quality race cage, the Okuyama cages are the best in the industry. Cusco's Safety21 brand also makes race rages compliant to the regulations in Japan. If I recall though, the Cusco cromoly cages are not compliant.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,May 5 2005, 03:07 PM
Um, no, maybe you should check your facts before making a statement like that... Aside from being metric like Ben said, the harness bars (in particular, the cusco units, as this is what I have and what I'm familiar with) leave the harness at an angle not compliant with SCCA... saying it doesn't work is just a retarded statement, I'm sorry... if you look at the design, quality of material, and mounting points, you might not be so eager to jump the Japanese variants...
Old 05-05-2005, 12:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VeilsideAP1,May 5 2005, 01:37 PM
Um, no, maybe you should check your facts before making a statement like that... Aside from being metric like Ben said, the harness bars (in particular, the cusco units, as this is what I have and what I'm familiar with) leave the harness at an angle not compliant with SCCA... saying it doesn't work is just a retarded statement, I'm sorry... if you look at the design, quality of material, and mounting points, you might not be so eager to jump the Japanese variants...
I have looked at the Cusco. I'm an engineer. I wouldn't trust it.

I have not looked at the Dash Sports cage.

SCCA is not the only standard for safe cages, that is true. But I would dispute that the Cusco is a safe and effective cage.

And there is a reason why the angle of the harness attachment is specified the way it is.

Quick Reply: JDM rollbars