JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Magnaflow, Dynomax Exhaust?

Old 03-15-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm happy with my Magnaflow mufflers. Sounds is pretty deep with no real droning at cruising speeds. I cut the stock mufflers and replaced with straight flow Magnaflows, 2.5" inlet and outlet. I then modified the Y-section and had the muffler shop fabricate a true-Y pipe. I am also running a JIC test pipe and Comptech header. It's louder than stock, but definitely quieter than many aftermarket systems.

I've been sc'd since 5k miles, and had the exhaust done around 1k. Sound with just the exhaust and pre-tp & sc, the note was deeper than stock and a tad louder. Addition of the SC changed the tone and loudness. The biggest difference in flow and sound was the addition of the test pipe.

I don't have dynos of pre-exhaust, but pre--post test pipe installation yielded at gain of about 10whp 277whp to 285whp (unfortunately, clutch may have been slipping...after clutch and fw install, 306whp).

Magnaflow with stock oval tips

Refabricated Y-section

Full rear shot
Old 03-16-2006, 11:40 AM

^ Hi, I saw in your pictures that you're using Offset/Center mufflers, does they still have straight thru pipes please? I think that the Offset/Center mufflers are easer to install than Center/Center.

Thank You
Old 03-16-2006, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbrowski00,Mar 15 2006, 03:32 PM
Which Borla cans did you go with? What would you compare the sound to?

Jim
I'm not sure of the model of can...sorry. They are very small and frankly pretty ugly especially compared to the Magnaflow shine. I had them paint black with high temp paint. My theory actually being that they look stock. You really don't notice I have anything different especially considering they are black like stock, the OEM oval tips are welded on like stock, plus the car is dropped about 1" so you can't really see them anyway. The cans were about $100/each so it was a cheap upgrade IMO.

The sound is deeper than stock for sure and is more fun that stock IMO. If you have it in a higher gear but are going slow like city traffic then the deepness does seem to drone a little bit but nothing crazy like the Invidia I used to have which droned all day it seemed like. Basically if you're in the "right" gear and not day dreaming you don't get the drone I speak of.

This was just a simple and cheap exhaust mod. I may end up liking it and keeping it for a while but I would bet that I get a true catback (Mugen, Comptech?) down the road along with a test pipe and header but we'll see.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by kevsam,Mar 16 2006, 12:40 PM
^ Hi, I saw in your pictures that you're using Offset/Center mufflers, does they still have straight thru pipes please? I think that the Offset/Center mufflers are easer to install than Center/Center.

Thank You
my mufflers are actually center/center, and it's straight through. Although, the Magnaflow offcenter muffler are still straight through.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question ... why is this in the JDM forum? As long as you're talking about exhausts in the JDM forum, I feel the responsibility to shout out an incredibly expensive exhaust just to piss you off - Amuse R-1000!!!!

Good luck with the build, what is your ultimate goal for the car? Also when checking out exhausts in the range of Mugen/Comptech, check out Supersprint and B&B, as well. Neither is much louder than stock, but both have very nice looks and are dual, good luck!
Old 03-17-2006, 08:40 AM

Gary-Phd,

I live in the bay area as well. Where did you have the work done? Part numbers?
How much did they charge you?

So you have no droaning? I may want to replicate the same on my 02 with a test pipe

Thanks for any info...
Old 03-17-2006, 08:53 AM

Hey water...I'm in Antioch, so if you want to hear my car, just send me a pm.

I had the work done at Mel's and Sons in Concord. They did some work on my TT, but the guy who does my work may or may still be there (forgot his name off hand). The other welders are ok. I paid around $400 for the mufflers, y-pipe, piping, and work. It's not a bad price.

The mufflers were either 14216 (5x8 oval) or 14316 (4x9 oval), 2.5" inlet/outlet, center/center...both are polished SS, $99 ea.

They fabricated the Y-pipe, however, you can buy a pre-fabricated Y pipe (e.g., Magnaflow sells one, and so do Dynomax)...which might be cheaper. I paid $80

This is a 2.5 into 2 - 2.5"

And, no, I don't get any droning.

If you decide to use them, make sure they don't use any crimp bent pipes - insist on mandrel bent only. You can always negotiate the price.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also had magnaflows cut in. I've received nothing but compliments and am satisfied for now. I'm probably eventually going with a single power increase but this will work for now. here are a couple vids of my car that give you an idea of what they sound like.

Drive by

Sitting still and reving

note, i have a megan testpipe as well.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:48 AM

Gary,

Too funny, what a small world. I know Donny the owner of Mel & sons. I've known him for almost 10 years. I will chk in with them. I live in Pits so I would love to meet up with you at some time and chk out your ride. Maybe go for a spin, you have SC on it too right!

I appreciate all the info. I sent you a pm . if you want to shoot me an email that i put in the PM !

Have a good friday!
Old 03-17-2006, 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=waterhound7,Mar 17 2006, 10:48 AM] Gary,

Too funny, what a small world. I know Donny the owner of Mel & sons. I've known him for almost 10 years. I will chk in with them. I live in Pits so I would love to meet up with you at some time and chk out your ride. Maybe go for a spin, you have SC on it too right!

I appreciate all the info. I sent you a pm . if you want to shoot me an email that i put in the PM !

Have a good friday!