JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

my j's 70rr is rattling

Old 03-20-2006, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my j's 70rr is rattling

Yesterday I noticed a nasty rattling, sounds like something is loose, from my j's 70rr. it sounds like it's coming from the canister. i've had the exhaust on for about 8k miles. the last thing i did was add the spark plug foulers to get the CEL to go away, which hasn't, even after i unplugged the battery and took out the back up fuse.

anybody have an idea what the ratting could be AND how I can get the CEL to go away. I got two spark plug foulers on there with one drilled out by an 1/2" drill.

any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:45 PM

forgot to mention that the rattle isn't constant. in first gear around 2-3k rpms you can really hear it when you let off the gas. in other gears i can't hear it cuz the exauhst is so loud!
Old 03-20-2006, 06:20 PM

This sounds exactly like what I had with my 60rs. It ended up being the back of the exhaust hitting underneath the car. It wasn't causing any damage and nothing was really coming loose, but it was damn annoying!

I gave the exhaust a good shake serveral times and it seemed very tight, but there is something about the vibration at low RPM that set it rattling. Prolly has something to do with how light these exausts are.

I took it back to the shop and they ended up using some metal cable ties to hold it still. No problems since.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:06 PM

are the spark plug foulers in tight? get under the car and make sure you tightened them down. mine was loose and rattled just as you describe.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Willie Gee,Mar 21 2006, 07:06 AM
are the spark plug foulers in tight? get under the car and make sure you tightened them down. mine was loose and rattled just as you describe.
i had the same problem
Old 03-21-2006, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check to see if the exhaust it touching the rear tie bar. Mine would touch on large bumps. I have to find some times to add some spacers to that bar.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:00 AM

something is definitaly hitting underneath, jack the car up and look, you might have to bend some things around.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:03 AM

i had my friend check where the sound was coming from and he said it was from underneath the middle of the car... right where the spark plug foulers were!!! i'm gonna check it out soon. i'm sure that is the problem. thanks for the help.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:55 AM

i had that sound on my 63rs j's racing. i dont know if its the same rattle but i fixed it by making a little foam peice. It was hitting the metal near the middle hook. by middle hook i mean after the first hook from the muffler and before the hook that connects it to the middle of the car.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:57 AM

i had that sound on my 63rs j's racing. i dont know if its the same rattle but i fixed it by making a little foam peice. It was hitting the metal near the middle hook. by middle hook i mean after the first hook from the muffler and before the hook that connects it to the middle of the car.

Quick Reply: my j's 70rr is rattling