JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

My NA Build Plans

Old 10-03-2008, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My NA Build Plans

I will be going back home in a couple of months so I will be selling my car here before I go back. I am planning to buy another S2000 when I go back and this time, I want to build it NA instead of FI.

Don't have a lot of experience in the NA parts so here is what I am planning on:

- Brian Crower 2.4lt Stroker Kit (does the car have to be 2.2 for this or can I do it on a F20 motor)?
- Password JDM Intake Chamber (since I heard makes the most power)
- Berk Header
- Berk Test Pipe
- A 63mm or a 70mm single exhast (probably T1R, btw, please advice me on which size will be better on my setup)
- AEM EMS (for sure)
- Ported head
- Bigger TB
- Rick's 4.57 Gears
- Lighter Flywheel
- Competition Clutch Stage 3

This is the first stage of the build. What kind of gains should I expect? Please advice me on my plan until this part.

Then, I might go no with the build which will include

- Selling the intake
- Skunk2 or Toda or BC Camshafts (need advice on this too)
- ITBs. (still need advice on brand)

What king of gains will I see if I also add these?
Old 10-03-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing wrong with going with a stroker, but there is a lot of power that the motor can make without it.

You'll have to fully build the motor with the stroker kit, and it won't matter whether you start with a f20, or f22
Good choice on the intake . If you plan to go itb's down the road then look towards jenveys- they are proven to be the best system out for the S(also haywards which are basically the same as the jenveys)
The berk header might help a little, but I would recommend going with something like the J's Racing or even waiting for the T1R header to be released.
Go with a 70mm test pipe, and 70mm exhaust system for the best performance gains all around, but should be noted that this is going to be pretty loud.
You need an EMS for sure.
Bigger TB will help very little, but if you really plan on going ITB's then don't bother with it.

The drivetrain parts you listed are great, so you can't go wrong there.

I left this for last because the head is an area where a lot of people lose power. Be very careful when working on the head. A lot of people fail at it and end up getting a stock head again because of the loss in power. Research to make sure you're going to do the right things, or find some one who has made power working on the head of the S motor before proceeding.

I'm not sure what kind of gains you'll see....what comp ratio does the stroker kit come with? I'm sure the motor will make good power, but at the end of the day it all depends on your tuner.

Keep an eye out for my thread which will be up next month...I'll be doing a very detailed NA build also.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:41 PM

if you go bigger tb you need to get your intake manifold ported to make any difference.

If you do go stroker i would get j's header since its the best flowing and you need that with a bigger engine.

as hv said get higher compression via pistons and spoon headgasket (or another) it'll add some more power.

Most important with your exhaust get a single, save as much weight as possible since your going na you wont be putting out huge power numbers but you can save weight to make the most of it
Old 10-04-2008, 07:40 AM

I will be porting the intake manifold for sure along with the head. Couple of questions though:

1) Isn't the BERK Header same as J's. Isn't it like a J's replica? With a bigger collertor?

2) Is 240whp achievable without going ITBs. just with the 1st list i have (2.4 stroker, i/h/e, ported head and im, bigger tb)??
Old 10-04-2008, 07:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you can hit 240whp without even going with stroker kit, so yes it's very doable with what you listed. Again if the stroker gives you higher comp ratio then stock, you'll be making great power with the supporting mods.

The berk gives you decent top end gains with very minimal if any low end. The J's system gives great gains though out the entire rpm range. Right now the J's is the best system on the market along with say tracy sports and toda coming up next. It's proven many times to give amazing results for just a header, and better numbers when combined with a good exhaust system.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:29 AM

also itb's dont give you great top end gains, actually they give you minimal itbs give you the best throttle response and huge gains mid-range
Old 12-22-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by batikan,Oct 4 2008, 07:40 AM
I will be porting the intake manifold for sure along with the head. Couple of questions though:

1) Isn't the BERK Header same as J's. Isn't it like a J's replica? With a bigger collertor?

2) Is 240whp achievable without going ITBs. just with the 1st list i have (2.4 stroker, i/h/e, ported head and im, bigger tb)??
1 - only j's racing makes j's racing headers. all the fakes are only fakes..

2 - if you have a MY06+ i'm sure that 240whp is nothing short of easily gained. in fact, this is my plan

-password jdm's giant intake - 10 whp
-toda or j's racing headers - gains best with reflash
-single exit exhaust - good gains with j's racing header
-hondata header reflash for MY06+ - 25 whp with j's or toda headers
-4.44 gears (with the 8500 rpm redline from the reflash, the gears fit exactly with oem gearing! larger gears could be obtained of course!)
-stage 2 or 3 clutch

just from that, i'd say gains would be right around the 240-250 whp range.. or at least in my opinion *i hope it does! cuz thats what im shootin for!! lol*
Old 03-03-2009, 05:21 AM

Man, I had a single exhaust on MY05 S2000. I just can't stand the look of it with our bumpers

But I'd like to see what those mods will net you.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:49 PM

possibly take this to the NA forums..
Old 03-04-2009, 08:30 AM

way to bring this back from the dead you necropheliac

Quick Reply: My NA Build Plans