JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Spoon Rigid Collars installed and tested on stock AP2

Old 11-14-2014, 04:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uhohitzluke
Can anyone give me a quick DIY on how to install these? I'd figure I would tackle this in my driveway instead of paying $200 dollars in labor.

Just use a jack on the subframe to support it and unbolt?
Don't remove all the bolts at once. Back all of them out together, a few inches, with a jack under for safety. Then remove ONE of them completely, install collar, and insert new bolt part way. Repeat 5 times for other bolts. Then SLOWLY and CAREFULLY snug up the bolts so that the collars seat properly in the bolt holes and subframe. Torque them and you're done.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:27 PM

I just installed my set this weekend. I have to admit I was a tad skeptical and I figured I wouldn't really notice much of a difference. But, I figured what the heck, it wasn't that much money, and I guess at the time I had some extra money to burn.

After a couple of days driving, mostly freeway driving to and from work, I keep trying to be disappointed (playing devils advocate) but then I go over some bumps that used to upset my chassis and I can't deny the improvement is substantial. I know it's hard to believe, because I have a hard time believing such a thing could make such a difference.

There is this freeway ramp I take at high speeds, and it has these bumps or ridges that, before, would cause my rear end to wiggle or shimmy going over them, almost feeling like the rear end was gonna spin out. It wasn't a good feeling in a high speed turn. Now the tires are just planted. Similarly, sometimes when changing lanes and I go over those white dots, my back tires would feel like they were skipping along and the back end would wiggle a lot. Especially if I was accelerating. Now it's just gone. Drama-free. I feel little bumps as like a tight drum feel in my hands and butt, rather than like a boom. It's hard to describe but everything feels tighter.

I know people will continue to be critical and skeptical, and that's ok, it's good to be skeptical sometimes. But all I can say is I'm very happy I took a chance on these.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan
I just installed my set this weekend. I have to admit I was a tad skeptical and I figured I wouldn't really notice much of a difference. But, I figured what the heck, it wasn't that much money, and I guess at the time I had some extra money to burn.

After a couple of days driving, mostly freeway driving to and from work, I keep trying to be disappointed (playing devils advocate) but then I go over some bumps that used to upset my chassis and I can't deny the improvement is substantial. I know it's hard to believe, because I have a hard time believing such a thing could make such a difference.

There is this freeway ramp I take at high speeds, and it has these bumps or ridges that, before, would cause my rear end to wiggle or shimmy going over them, almost feeling like the rear end was gonna spin out. It wasn't a good feeling in a high speed turn. Now the tires are just planted. Similarly, sometimes when changing lanes and I go over those white dots, my back tires would feel like they were skipping along and the back end would wiggle a lot. Especially if I was accelerating. Now it's just gone. Drama-free. I feel little bumps as like a tight drum feel in my hands and butt, rather than like a boom. It's hard to describe but everything feels tighter.

I know people will continue to be critical and skeptical, and that's ok, it's good to be skeptical sometimes. But all I can say is I'm very happy I took a chance on these.
Thanks for the great review! That's been the difficulty in promoting Rigid Collars. It's difficult to describe what they do, and then when you explain how it works, people just get more confused. Then when you show people what they look like, they're just skeptical. However, nearly everyone that installs them can feel a noticeable improvement. Your review describes exactly how they should feel.

Don't forget, they're available for nearly every make and model, not just Hondas. On non-sports cars, you get improved tire wear, stability, and comfort.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:23 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan

Reflects my opinion as well. It's pretty amazing how noticeable the difference really is. Like many parts, it's all about increasing driver confidence. Anything you can do to make the car feel for stable and improve the feel is well worth it.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been convinced. Put in an order over at SpeedFreaks.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:12 AM

Love them on my car seems to respond much better and i can feel whats going on in the car more if that makes sence.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by dc50818
Love them on my car seems to respond much better and i can feel whats going on in the car more if that makes sence.
didn't you buy the generic ones?
Old 02-21-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by s2000ellier

didn't you buy the generic ones?
Yea bought the manzo ones they r the same thing about half the cost its crazy how much of a differnce the car did feel
Old 04-03-2015, 11:58 AM

I installed TyrolSport's Rigid collars on my MKV GTI and not only did it eliminate the infamous "subframe clunk", it also made my car feel more planted/composed. I think I'm going to buy the Manzo ones and give those a shot on my S2000.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:13 PM

Are the subframe bolts supposed to be replaced?

Quick Reply: Spoon Rigid Collars installed and tested on stock AP2