JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Spoon Rigid Collars installed and tested on stock AP2

Old 04-29-2015, 11:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the torque spec on those bolts, I dont see anything about that on the GoTunning site
Old 04-29-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/101...ubframe-bolts/
Old 05-01-2015, 01:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

this mod and the steering rack solid bushing mod isn't going to result in quantifiable changes to your car that you can show someone "I gained XX hp or increased lateral gs to this number" what it does is it makes the car easier to listen to at the limit.

Some advanced s2000 drivers can drive the car and know/predict what the car is going to do so it looks like they have magical counter steering ability to catch the car; in reality they are just super sensitive to what the car is doing or is about to do. For them this mod is almost absolutely useless; for the cost of the spoon rigid collars and installation by a shop; they might as well buy another set of tires. For another s2000 driver, an average to novice driver this mod really makes the car easier to listen to right before she's about to understeer or oversteer. Imagine the moment you get in a fight with your significant other and you had the mutant ability to suddenly slow time and consider the repercussion before you stuck your foot in your mouth and said something you were going to pay dearly for; this is what the spoon rigid collars does for the average driver

I installed both the real spoon rigid collars on my GFs ap2 and the blox version for my friend on his track beaten ap1; and immediately took both cars to drive over track tracks because that's what everyone says is that the car feels more solid. I don't know about you but my friend's didn't spend $300+ to have these things make rail road crossings feel less destructive to your spine. Both however did go to auto x and track events and said the car felt more stable and predictable. The more comfortable you feel; the faster you can push the GO PEDAL!

The steering rack bushings are another interesting mod. I have installed these on an AP2 and an AP1. Both cars had pretty aged factory bushings and both cars have and will continue see lots of track time. Every person knows the best s2000 steering feel is in the CR and if they could they would want that feeling. These little bushings take up this dead response in the steering wheel where both of them had like 0 feel in the first couple of degrees in steering input. Neither car is a CR steering feel but they both got better. What I am guessing it does is take up all the possible slop/bind in the bushing as the steering rack is tossed violently back and forth. If your car is punishing the front tires in auto cross or on track and you are already in need of replacing steering rack bushings; this is a no brainer.

installation tips:
-depending on what your car was used for, mileage and age on the chassis - there could be a lot of debris in the subframe to frame holes. Hit it with a combination of compressed air, wd40 and brake cleaner to get all that debris ...other wise it could feel like you are cross threading the subframe bolts.
-DO NOT do this on the floor it will take forever; use a lift; it's very fast and efficient on a lift.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gptoyz
-DO NOT do this on the floor it will take forever; use a lift; it's very fast and efficient on a lift.
a good friend of mine put mine in for me on jackstands. got the car pretty high and with power tools and doing them a couple at a time it didn't take that long at all. but yes, on a lift it will be easier physically if you do not have a creeper.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:34 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Mr friend Loi from Loi Spec garage did an install on these, as well as a few other things.
Car is going through alignment tomorrow, and then ill get to see how these feel.

I also installed the steering collar kit. These were paired with 20mm anti bump steer, and a ASM GT strut bar.
Looking forward to a much more precise driving feel.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TEASPOONGUY
Mr friend Loi from Loi Spec garage did an install on these, as well as a few other things.
Car is going through alignment tomorrow, and then ill get to see how these feel.

I also installed the steering collar kit. These were paired with 20mm anti bump steer, and a ASM GT strut bar.
Curious to see what you think of the strut bar. I have the rigid collars, also the steering rack bushings, but have not installed those yet. The ASM brace has been in the back of my mind for a while, for the same reasons you state ... feel.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:41 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by grubinski
Originally Posted by TEASPOONGUY' timestamp='1433284465' post='23633877

Curious to see what you think of the strut bar. I have the rigid collars, also the steering rack bushings, but have not installed those yet. The ASM brace has been in the back of my mind for a while, for the same reasons you state ... feel.
Ill def let you know tomorrow afternoon.
From what i was told is that the steering rack bushings were a pain
in the royal ass to take off.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:28 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TEASPOONGUY
Ill def let you know tomorrow afternoon. From what i was told is that the steering rack bushings were a pain in the royal ass to take off.
How did you get the asm x brace strut bar and the 20mm bump steer kit to fit?

Did you get the short bar?

The steering rack collars aren't so bad; a c clamp and a couple of sockets and they will all pop out
Old 08-02-2015, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very glad I found this thread, should be moved to the suspension section to be honest.

Question for those that have installed as I plan on doing this due to the pulling to the right syndrome many people have:

I plan on doing the Spoon Subframe collars with new OEM bolts, are people using some kind of anti-seize on the bolts? What kind?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2015, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The majority of the copper grease (that the kit comes with) will be used on the collars themselves but apply a little bit on the bolts themselves.

Quick Reply: Spoon Rigid Collars installed and tested on stock AP2