JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Tein N1 w/ upper pillow mounts.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein N1 w/ upper pillow mounts.

I finally got my upper pillow mounts. Thanks to the people who helped me find these.

Hopefully i can make it out to big willow on the weekend of 13/14 to test these out.

I'm still waiting for my track wheels.

Here are some pictures...

Old 08-03-2005, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sick coilovers...great for track, but probably a bitch for daily driving. what are the spring rates?
Old 08-03-2005, 09:37 AM

Those sure do look nice. Hopefully you don't have too much trouble setting it up when you go to the track. I'll probably see you at Big willow
Old 08-03-2005, 01:43 PM

the spring rates are 16/16. if you look at the picture the springs show the spring rate. yeh, these shocks are not meant for the road.

well, hopefully i'll have everything ready by that weekend, if not i'll have to postpone for the tracks until october after i get back from asia.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:40 AM

so where did you source the pillow mounts from? are they a Tein part number?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by VeilsideAP1,Aug 4 2005, 10:40 AM
so where did you source the pillow mounts from? are they a Tein part number?
It is a tein part # PRH66-31S58

it's for 58mm springs and the tein n1 damper. i know other piston rods on the tein line up have a different design so fitment of these to other shocks might not work.

these shocks only come w/ the shocks when you purchase.

you have to buy the springs, the upper pillow mounts, wrenches, dust boots, and whatever else you might need separately.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:21 PM

awesome... I was considering these, but didn't see anywhere they offered pillowmounts for them... definately let us know what you think!
Old 08-05-2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by VeilsideAP1,Aug 4 2005, 04:21 PM
awesome... I was considering these, but didn't see anywhere they offered pillowmounts for them... definately let us know what you think!
hopefully i can make it out to big willow next weekend to give a review for these...

i just ran into another problem. i need some dust covers for these, i was thinking the tein RE dust covers would work, but they didn't.

here's a link to the thread i just opened up. hopefully somebody can help me find dust covers for these now.

as you can see in my pictures, the piston rod and seals are revealed to the open environment... don't want the shocks to prematurely wear out.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=311400
Old 08-07-2005, 11:01 AM

I installed the coilovers without the dust boots. I lowered it just enough so i can fit my jack underneath the jack points. That's about 2 finger gap front and rear. So far two days, no rub, no hitting on bump stops. Suprisingly they are not as stiff as anticipated. But I am using 16/16 spring rates and not the 18/20 spring rates. I'm still playing around with the compression and rebound settings. I have setup the car so far neutral with some throttle over steer. Car is very stable at high speeds.

It does get somewhat rough on extreme surfaces, but the valving on these shocks seem a lot better then the previous shocks I have tried out before. Compared with Koni, even though I never tracked them but did some canyon driving these outshine the Konis. The Koni's had tremendous oversteer, but it could have been the springs.

Compared to my Tein RE on my DC2 Integra, I like the Tein N1 much better. The N1 feels less rough and I think this has to do mainly with the valving range of the Tein RE. On the Tein RE I was using 14/10 spring rates(softer springs but felt much harsher, even though I was able to achieve fast times at the tracks.) The Tein N1 has little to no body roll. I actually thought the N1's will be really rough, it would be riding on my bump stops (the full 40mm and not cut yet, I will determine if it needs to be cut after the track) and completely not streetable. However, they seem more streetable to me then the Tein RE, but I'm not going to try to use these too much on the street as I don't want to have to rebuild these shocks in the near future.

I will have a better review after I have tracked these. But based on street driving, I think the Tein SRC will be a good coilover choice for both street and track driving. Maybe I'll pick up the Tein SRC for street driving after I have done more testing on the Tein N1.

EDIT: By the way, I'm on S02 tires and stock wheels. Front tires have about 25-30% left of tread and 75% in the rear. So it wasn't really much testing as these tires aren't too good. I'm waiting for my track wheels to arrive sometime next week, and I'll mount some R-compound to test these even further. I'll also be testing them on street tires later when my street wheels arrive near the end of the month, I'll be using Ad07, they've been sitting on the floor for a couple months dusting away.

EDIT 2: One more thing I want to add, these might seem streetable to me, but may not to others. I am use to very stiff cars, motorcycles, shifter karts without any suspension components. So my opinion maybe a bit biased.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:15 PM

NICE GIFF

Quick Reply: Tein N1 w/ upper pillow mounts.