JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Voltex Type 7.5 Dry Carbon 1700mm Swan Neck Wing + Voltex Dry Carbon Gurney Flap

Old 01-20-2018, 12:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default VOLTEX Type 7.5 Dry Carbon 1700mm Swan Neck Wing + VOLTEX Dry Carbon Gurney Flap!

Hey guys,
Got a new part in recently that I got really excited about, courtesy of Evasive Motorsports, and wanted to share (if the title didn't already give it away )

But first a little backstory... (WARNING: Pic Heavy)

So I originally ordered a VOLTEX Type 7 1700mm swan neck wing from Evasive back in September 2017 and sadly it arrived damaged in shipping...

As you can see one of the corners of the box was smashed in pretty badly. It looked like it was dropped from a high point or received some kind of impact. Inside the box one of the endplates was scuffed and floating around the bottom unattached. The endplate basically exploded off as the screw mounting points were completely shattered and the endplate could no longer be installed on that side.

It was the last swan neck wing that Evasive had in stock, and the next shipment of swan necks weren't coming in for another 6 months... I was pretty disappointed, so I figured if I was going to wait that long and the wing was going to be made to order I would aim a little higher. So I started looking into what they had dry carbon-wise. According to VOLTEX, unfortunately they don't offer the Type 7 swan neck in 1700mm in dry carbon. Instead, they offer the Type 7.5 swan neck in 1700mm in dry carbon. The difference between the two is about 1" in the depth of the airfoil. So I opted for that with a matching dry carbon gurney flap and asked Evasive to put in a special order for me.

Now normally VOLTEX has a 1 YEAR lead time on dry carbon parts. But Evasive explained my situation to them and they surprisingly finished it for me in... 2 MONTHS. Yes you read that right. I was blown away ! Also, Evasive gave me a free complimentary install on my trunk! BOTH Evasive and VOLTEX are amazing customer service-oriented companies and I honestly can't say enough good things about them...

But enough talk, onto the good stuff...

Here we have Evasive installing the wing onto my ASM trunk...

Took a couple more detailed shots after I brought it home...

Sorry if I went overboard with the pics, couldn't resist. Also, big thanks to Tony at Evasive who assisted me throughout the whole process!

**Forgot to include some important details in case anyone was wondering. I got around to weighing the wing today and the entire wing assembly including the swan neck bases came out to be right around 15 lbs. give or take. The entire trunk and wing assembly comes in at around 21 lbs which is not bad considering how big the wing is. I really should have weighed the Type 7 when I had the chance so I could use it in comparison... but oh well.

The wing is incredibly well made. I would say the quality of the dry carbon is comparable to ASM quality. At first I was planning to clear coat it, but after I saw it in person I changed my mind. I really love the matte finish that it has now and will be leaving it as is. I know swan necks aren't everyone's cup of tea, but to me they look cool as hell. Not to mention there is some limited benefit of this design as opposed to traditionally mounted wings. Although in the grand scheme of things, the differences are probably somewhat minute but still slightly more functional.

Last edited by Type S; 03-28-2018 at 07:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
s2krayz (03-26-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 06:46 AM
Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

That dry carbon looks really good my swan neck arrived damaged as well.

Last edited by RogueMotorsports; 02-02-2018 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sneakyx16 (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueMotorsports
That dry carbon looks really good my swan neck arrived damaged as well. Unfortunately I didn't receive the same treatment from evasive like you did, I was on my own and had to repair it myself. Seemed like they didn't care to make things right.
Sorry to hear. Was the damage worse than mine? Even if I didnt go with the dry carbon, Evasive offered to replace it for me at the very least but then again I would have had to wait the 6 months.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:29 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Wasn't there insurance on the shipping Rogue?
Old 01-27-2018, 07:34 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by arsenal
Wasn't there insurance on the shipping Rogue?
The box was intact so it wasn't an issue with shipping carrier. The issue was with voltex Japan overtightening the end plates
Old 01-31-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Voltex needs to start leaving the end plates unbolted in the package. My Swan Neck arrived today aswell with the same damage.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:41 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by mayhem267

Voltex needs to start leaving the end plates unbolted in the package. My Swan Neck arrived today aswell with the same damage.
you should contact who ever you purchase it from asap so they can take care of you. I just found pics of mine
Old 02-01-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Jesus. What was Evasive's excuse for not helping you out? Your purchased expensive damaged product from them. That's unacceptable.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah that seems a little strange - the least they could was put you in contact with Voltex directly
Old 02-01-2018, 11:59 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by JamesD89
Jesus. What was Evasive's excuse for not helping you out? Your purchased expensive damaged product from them. That's unacceptable.
The best they were able to do was repair it for me but it had to be shipped on my on my dime. That would have been about 300$ with insurance round trip. I didn't feel it was fair to pay an additional 300$ for a damaged wing.

Quick Reply: Voltex Type 7.5 Dry Carbon 1700mm Swan Neck Wing + Voltex Dry Carbon Gurney Flap