JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Who Knows tuning with Emanage Ultimate?

Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Who Knows tuning with Emanage Ultimate?

I am considering a couple possibilities of getting some power out of my car. Either NA or FI route might include Emanage Ultimate down the road. Since I am a total novice to tuning, I have a couple questions regarding the system.

First, is there a good resource (perhaps a manual for Emanage or book on general tuning) to read so that I can better understand exactly what is being done. I hope to find a qualified tuner but I want to understand what is going on and make sure that if I understand the basics I won't be snowed by someone who claims to be a great tuner but could do harm to my car.

I would like to learn how to determine safe air fuel ratios, and how "safe" might vary under different conditions. For example, is a safe ratio at low rpm not rich enough ratio if the engine is at redline and so forth.

Secondly, since you can control fuel and timing, unlike say a VAFC, does the emanage override the Ecu's response to the knock sensor? It was my understanding that the ecu would advance timing until knock was detected and then pull it back. So if you are advancing timing, is that because the stock ecu advances to conservatively? If so, and you make it more aggressive will the ECU still be able to protect the car from knock in all conditions?

Lastly, one of the threads I read GilbertG was discussing what would happen if your ecu is disconnected from power and reset and goes through an abrupt relearn cycle. If I read that part correctly, one should not drive aggressively for several miles as the ECU relearns, but that there would be no need to retune or cause for concern after 10-20 miles. The ECU would fall back into safe responses to what the Emanage is trying to do after several miles and a prior "safe" tune would not be made unsafe by the ECU reset. Correct?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long winded questions.
Vader1
Old 07-25-2007, 01:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With regards to the timing, the stock ECU has a maximum amount of advance it will give even if no knock is detected. With an aftermarket ECU you can give more advance than the max limit.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:09 PM

That helps a little, but will it still be able to pull timing after knock is detected or is the piggyback completely overriding that ability?

Just trying to assess potential danger if I find a tuner who messes up a little. Worst case.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as AFR goes, stick to 13.5:1, thats a safe yet aggresive number.

im also in for the answers too.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you reset your ECU I would break it back in without the Emanage then simply plug the emanage back in. A wide band would come in handy there to test your theory. As for A/F ratio I'd say no more than 13.8, there are a couple of guys using that and seem to be just fine, anything 14.0+ gets the inside of the combustion chamber too hot and shit starts melting. haha
Old 07-25-2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ShocK,Jul 25 2007, 03:39 PM
If you reset your ECU I would break it back in without the Emanage then simply plug the emanage back in. A wide band would come in handy there to test your theory. As for A/F ratio I'd say no more than 13.8, there are a couple of guys using that and seem to be just fine, anything 14.0+ gets the inside of the combustion chamber too hot and shit starts melting. haha

i ran 13.9:1 with my vafc2 but wouldnt recomend anyone else to. my motor seem to be able to handle it pretty well, but 13.9 is about as far as you wanna push it.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:34 AM

What is the leanest AFR stock?

I do remember a semi famous quote from the MR2 board, "Your car never feels faster than right before you melt a piston."
Old 07-26-2007, 06:21 AM
Former Moderator

PM Twitzid and gilbertq in the New England Forum, they've done a bunch of cars with the Emanage Ultimate.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by vader1,Jul 26 2007, 06:34 AM
What is the leanest AFR stock?

I do remember a semi famous quote from the MR2 board, "Your car never feels faster than right before you melt a piston."
leanest ive seen is 12.1. i dont think that the ECU will go and leaner than that.

and its true, your car will make more power the leaner you tune it, rite up until it blows. i made 236whp but my tuner got a lil excited with the AFR and that run showed 14.2:1! luckily it was only one run and the car was fine, but still!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:53 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Since the ULT advance timing a % over the factory if you advance the timing to far (or conditions cause a detectable knock by the stock ECU) the stock computer will retard the timing despite the ULT advanced timing factor.

Example would be

you have the ULT to advance 5 deg over stock and everything is fine.
you then try an advance timing to 10deg over stock and the stock ecu detects knock

the stock ECU will retard timing by its internal knock detection protocols despite the ULT advancing timing until nock is not longer detected.

While this does give you some protection if you try and advance the timing to far in a specific load cell knock can happen and damage the motor prior to the stock ECU being able to retard timing.

Moral of the story is take the system to a reputable tuner and have him/her tune your car.

Quick Reply: Who Knows tuning with Emanage Ultimate?