Member S2000 Classifieds and For Sale Items for sale by Members. PAID MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED to post classified ads with a paid membership.
Mark this thread as Sold

FS 78 280-Z project car so I can have time & $$ to work on my S!

Old 05-18-2003, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am throwing in the towel on a project that has gone on way too long and cost way too much. There have been no issues with the car itself only issues with finding the time to do the work!

I have over $7,500 invested not counting time so someone will be getting a deal!!!

Pics upon request.

This was to be the first car for my son so we looked for 6 months to find a straight, undented, unwrecked, unrusty 280. (the 78 280 is supposed to be the stiffest chassis) I drove it for about 3 months to get re-used to the feel of a Z and decide exactly what we wanted to do to it and then we started to work.

We tore the car completely down, carefully keeping all the pieces, labelling and storing. We started work on the body and it is ready to be painted all except engine compartment. It has been wet sanded baby butt smooth. The front suspension pieces have all been blasted and painted a hammered gray finish. The rear suspension was apart when we quit so it hasn't been blasted or painted.

I bought a new dash (cost $700 without instrumentation) and new seats (another $700).

Ground Control coil overs with ERS system. The ERS system is a Variable rate, double spring system that allows you run a soft, comfortable spring that rides well on bumpy roads (which is also great on rough tracks) along with a much firmer spring than you normally would be able to run on the street that kicks in under load. Great combo for autocross or track. (all of the suspension pieces cost me over $1,000)

Camber plates for front and rear
Tokico 5 way adjustables
Energy Suspension Bushings for every spot there is a bushing there is. I got shortened strut cartridges so I could lower the car 1.5" and put modern 17" rims on it and fill up the fender wells. So the struts themselves have to be sectioned and rewelded. The fronts have been sectioned (the hard part of the job) and only need to be rewelded. I was getting to the rears when we ran out of spare time.

Autolock shaved door handle system for both doors and rear hatchback with wiring, solenoids and remote openers. (Cost me $475)

I have a stock engine and tranny which came out of an 83 (I think) and then we decided to upgrade further so we imported an SR20DET. The SR20DET fits perfectly leaving enough room in the engine compartment for 2 people to stand in front of the engine INSIDE the engine bar.

More power, more torque, less weight, lower center of gravity, weight further back in the chassis, a proven upgrade path to 300-400 hp, a win-win situation all the way around!

Person who buys the car will get the first choice of all the goodies. If he/she doesn't want them then I will part out everything else. This means you can buy just the body or any combination thereof and we can adjust price to fit the pieces you are interested in.

As it sits it would make a great track car. I have done all the hard preparatory work so all the work from here on in is the gratifying kind where you actually see you are making progress instead of feeling like you are digging yourself deeper in a hole.

As toy instructions say "Some assembly required"

$3,300 for car with stock engine and all the other goodies. Add $2,100 if you want the SR20DET also.

The SR20DET is a very low mileage model complete with 5 speed, ecu, and uncut wiring harness.

We ordered and paid for a Ferrari kit for our 280Z only to have the owner of the company die before he could deliver the kit. I finally sued and got a front end out of the estate (that's all he had built). I was unhappy with the quality so I traded it with someone for the VR Engineering one piece, flip front.

The Ferrari kit is available from several manufacturers in both convertible and coupe versions. I have been told you can mix and match kit brands.

Here are a couple of completed cars:
http://www.hybridz.org/Review/0002/Ferrari_GTO.htm
http://www.fraserdante.com/62ferrari.htm
http://www.cars-on-line.com/62ferrep1474.html

All I have is the front end so you will need door skins and rear end.

I have over $2,000 invested not counting court costs, but make me a reasonable offer and it is yours.

i am in the Dallas area.

David b.