Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Aftermarket exhaust in VA

Old 11-17-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just use your judgment when you're driving around. You should okay most of the time, unless a cop really has a bad day.

Stock-looking tips usually help in not getting a fix-it ticket, if you get pulled over for something else.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:16 AM

It is technically illegal according to VA DOT codes.

Spend a few weeks driving around Fairfax County, VA and you'll probably have multiple exhaust tickets in that much time.

From what FFX county police have told me, Anything that doesn't meet OE spec is "illegal". Obviously that leaves a lot of the law up the interpretation of the officer.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by nautilist,Nov 17 2008, 01:01 PM
From the VA code, the "exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment":

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.ex...0+cod+46.2-1049

There might be some wiggle room on how close an aftermarket exhaust is to 'standard factory equipment' depending on where you are in the state and the demeanor of the officer if you get pulled over, but you could get dinged for it.

That said, a lot of folks run them and I haven't heard of anybody getting hassled too much...
That's the code, and the law itself is very vague. Going with the most conservative interpretation (which is what many cops go by), an exhaust is only allowed if its OEM-like. That is, it produces the same sound etc etc ...

Now, the truth nobody can know every what every single OEM exhaust looks and sounds like. So if your exhaust looks close enough to OEM, and isn't extremely loud to the point where its scaring babies as you pass by, you'll usually be just fine.

Cars like the S2000 are more rare, so most cops don't know what they're "supposed" to sound like, so you have a little extra leeway too. An everyday Civic or Accord might get more scrutiny because cops don't expect it to have an aggressive sounding exhaust or large exhaust tips.

Shiny exhausts tend to attract attention too, so I would avoid things like purple titanium heated tips, or very shiny chrome finish exhausts.

I've had my SuperSprint exhaust for a few years and it looks close enough to OEM, and doesn't sound much louder than a G35 or 350Z that it passes for most I think. I've never gotten asked about it at least and I've been pulled plenty of times for other offenses

If you have something obnoxiously loud, especially in NOVA (Fairfax County mostly), expect to get pulled for it.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:11 AM

And not that any of you guys would, but don't run straight pipes and don't ever admit to running a test pipe. They are both EXPLICITLY illegal...just ranting because of my exhaust ticket!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:15 AM

any mods to exhaust is ILLEGAL! I actually just went to court about this less than a week ago. I got a ticket for "inproper exhaust" and all i have is mufflers. everything else is stock. The judge told me to my face it was against the law to modify the emissions system of a vehicle in any way. AND Virginia is trying very hard to make emissions violations a Misdemeanor with a mandatory court appearance. DONT DO IT! I can show you the ticket and final judgement papers from my lawyer for you non believers if you would like. By the way the total cost for my improper exhaust was just over $300 for fines and court cost.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:29 AM

yeah, any exhaust modifacation is illegal. but you can get away with some exhausts as long as they aren't loud. Like in FFX county i'm sure you could get away with a invidia V4, apex ws or something quiet and stock looking with no problems. what county in va are you in?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:46 AM

I have HKS right now, and it's attracting alot of attention from the cops, so I'm putting AP2 tips on the exhaust. Hopefully it will take away some attention.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree, technically its illegal here in VA. Mod on your own discretion. Thats why i havent gotten an exhaust. I don't want added fines...$$ is hard these days, Plus the fact ,I drive a yellow shortbus
Old 11-17-2008, 01:53 PM

Yellow is only the best color for S2K.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:23 PM

im in Va beach. boo

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust in VA