S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/mid-atlantic-s2000-owners-47/)
-   -   Anyone here ever think about.... (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/mid-atlantic-s2000-owners-47/anyone-here-ever-think-about-731527/)

s2kkyo 09-17-2009 09:47 PM

Anyone here ever think about....

Buying an evo/sti?

I'm trying so hard to like the looks but they look so ugly to me except for this sick ass black one I see in nova once in awhile if I knew what he has done to his car and could do the same then maybe...

Reason being maybe needing more space

Druz 09-18-2009 02:06 AM

I'd say "hell no" to the new STI's. They are ugly. Only STI I'd go with is maybe an '05 model...even that is pushing it.

As for the Evo X, I think they look good. Better than the VIII and IX. I considered one awhile back but that's just too much to drop on a new car. So here I am...with my 05 S2000 and no regrets.

ABOC 09-18-2009 02:50 AM

i'm actually looking to purchase the new 2010 sti myself..

don't get me wrong the s2000 is a beautiful vehicle but unfortunately i'm going to be needing more than 2 seats eventually.

still debating though.. i'd need a hardtop haha.

//steve\\ 09-18-2009 03:48 AM

well I went the other way and sold my WRX to get the s2k. The WRX had many benefits that the s2k doesn't but they just aren't nearly as fun to drive. Mine had a lot of stuff done too and even so it just doesn't compare to the s2k. Now for me a car that handles well is a lot more fun than a fast car and I gave up a lot of speed I had in the WRX but a car that was really fun to drive was far more important. I don't regret selling it at all. If I had to do it again though I'd probably pick up an evo9. Mod for mod they will almost always out handle the STI. They don't sound as good and build quality isn't as good but lot of other things are.

rudeS2k 09-18-2009 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Druz,Sep 18 2009, 02:06 AM
I considered one awhile back but that's just too much to drop on a new car. So here I am...with my 05 S2000 and no regrets.

eversince the thought of having a baby came across my mind, a car with a back seat was brewing, looked into a evo IX before, but that was shot down, and when the evo X came, the idea of buying one was again shot down for that same reason :rolleyes:

TheDarkKnight 09-18-2009 04:03 AM

I like the new STI. Sounds good too!

3AFL S2K 09-18-2009 04:04 AM

well there's one.

rudeS2k 09-18-2009 04:14 AM

new STI..front end -looks good, back end--nawww

FF2Skip 09-18-2009 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by s2kkyo,Sep 18 2009, 01:47 AM
Buying an evo/sti?

No.

I'm trying so hard to like the looks but they look so ugly to me except for this sick ass black one I see in nova once in awhile if I knew what he has done to his car and could do the same then maybe...
If you have to try hard to like such a car now, in six months you're going to hate yourself.

So, a reasonable four-seater is out of the question? :thinker:

TubeDriver 09-18-2009 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by s2kkyo,Sep 17 2009, 11:47 PM
Buying an evo/sti?

I have had a couple WRX including an STI. Nice cars but very different from the S2000.

FASTSIIK 09-18-2009 07:26 AM

Since i'm more into drag racing i've considered it. I love my s too much though, but the new evo's look hot I think. But I also like how there are less s2k's on the road than there are evo's and sti, it seems like evreryone has one.

rudeS2k 09-18-2009 07:36 AM

[QUOTE=FASTSIIK,Sep 18 2009, 07:26 AM]

ECale3 09-18-2009 09:16 AM

No

9000revolutions 09-18-2009 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by FASTSIIK,Sep 18 2009, 12:26 PM
I also like how there are less s2k's on the road than there are evo's and sti, it seems like evreryone has one.

:iagree:

GPWonTan 09-18-2009 11:23 AM

i have thought of both but because they are quite similar to s2k in terms of performance stock i can't see myself owning both at the same time. so s2k stays and no evo/sti for me. i rather own something drastically differently - like a grand tourer or a luxury cruiser - hence i picked up a gs430 instead

WarrenW 09-18-2009 01:20 PM

Not the STI but a standard WRX is pretty sweet. If I didn't have so many bills right now, I'd love to get one. 265HP in the 2009 model. The Lancer Rally Art is growing on me too.

gfacter 09-18-2009 01:30 PM

Turbo go boom...

Actually saw a new STI hatch today on 95, looks much better than the sedan. IMO

TheDarkKnight 09-18-2009 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by gfacter,Sep 18 2009, 04:30 PM
Turbo go boom...

Actually saw a new STI hatch today on 95, looks much better than the sedan. IMO

Like everything. They have their pros and cons.

metros 09-18-2009 03:14 PM

I came from an 04 STi to 05 S2k. The cars are in no way alike. Completely different performance strengths/weaknesses.

I'm still enjoying my S2k more than I had my STi. The only thing the s2k lacks for me is power. I plan on boosting to correct that. At this point I don't need more room in a vehicle. The s2k handles excellent, looks good, gets good gas mileage, and its a honda aka reliable as hell. I do miss the power of the STi but in time I'll have the best of both worlds.

From a tracking stand point I had to put more money into it initially (rollbar). However, I expect to go through consumables slower and fear less about wheel bearing issues (I had an 04 STi).

To make a decision you need to figure out what you want out of a car. If squeaks, rattles, and a stiff ride bother you then an STi isn't the car for you.

dc_s2k 09-18-2009 03:41 PM

my 2 cents.

I'm happy as can be with my s2000. Great track car, great convertible, reliable as can be (if you don't mess with the drivetrain). And IMO its a whole lot better looking than an evo or sti. If I have to replace this one, I hope its with another s2000.

s2kkyo 09-18-2009 04:23 PM

thanks guys for confirming what i was thinking, but forgot to mention another reason would be taking the car to campus when i go back to school, i kinda dont want to see all this sexiness get hurt by stupid ppl =(

FISH22 09-18-2009 06:38 PM

My wife and I almost bought an 08 Sti last year. I love them. Once you're around them for a bit and drive it a little, you fall in love with it. If you get one with BBS wheel/foglight package, it's an awesome looking car.

We also looked at an Evo X. All I can say is cheap. Inside and out, everything looked and felt cheap. We were there for 10 minutes and went straight to the Subaru dealership.

nissanfanatic 09-18-2009 07:00 PM

I think a 2005-2006 STi is the perfect car for a beginning driving enthusiast. It is rugged enough to deal with most mistakes, be launched relentlessly, and is quite possibly the easiest vehicle in the world to drive at the limit. I have driven a few Subarus and they are all very easy to drive at the limit. However, the driving style does not swap over. IE, if you went from driving a Subaru to an S2k or a Z06, you would probably go off pretty shortly thereafter.

They do go through tires very quickly (shitty suspension geometry). You'll need to increase spring rate pretty high on all corners and then invest in some decent dampers (Konis, Motons, or any of the good dampers) to survive on the streets. When I pulled the MXs off of my 95 Impreza L, they would not stand up straight on a flat surface. I had camber at 3*+ up front and they still wore the outside edge and inside edge. OF course, you could just replace tires every five months or so. That is about how long tires last for me on daily drivers with one four hour track event each month.

Fuel cost would be rather expensive compared to an S2k. I noticed that the S2k gets remarkably good race track gas mileage as compared to my 240sx, comparatively, the 240sx makes 150whp more, so there you have it. The fuel usage is very deceiving. I am expecting to be half a tank of gas down after an event, but I usually only use four or five bars.

From an opinionated point of view, the one thing I don't like about Subarus anymore is the whole X-games extreme C00L that has been brought to the Subaru Impreza. Since the whole Ken Block era has emerged, and really since rally entered the X games, I simply don't view a Subaru Impreza as a classy vehicle anymore. I can count on a bunch of skateboarder punks (No offense to those who take skateboarding seriously, and actually do it, not wear it[sideways]) being in awe when they see an STi. It simply isn't nearly as classy as an S2K IMO, which is something I do need for a daily commuter. It now carries an extreme advertising, energy drink stamped, skateboarder punk image to the general populous. Given I am nearing the end of my military days, I need something that I can go to job interviews in. I definitely don't want the impression that I am any of the aforementioned things, nor do I want to drive up in a rallied out STi. Kept in good condition, it would still project the image IMO. The STi would constantly be beckoning to be rallied as well, just as my last Impreza did.

STi=Great daily racecar IMO if the engine is kept stock and slightly overfilled with good oil (German Castrol, Redline, Motul, etc).

LagunaBlu2k 09-20-2009 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic,Sep 18 2009, 07:00 PM
From an opinionated point of view, the one thing I don't like about Subarus anymore is the whole X-games extreme C00L that has been brought to the Subaru Impreza. Since the whole Ken Block era has emerged, and really since rally entered the X games, I simply don't view a Subaru Impreza as a classy vehicle anymore. I can count on a bunch of skateboarder punks (No offense to those who take skateboarding seriously, and actually do it, not wear it[sideways]) being in awe when they see an STi. It simply isn't nearly as classy as an S2K IMO, which is something I do need for a daily commuter. It now carries an extreme advertising, energy drink stamped, skateboarder punk image to the general populous. Given I am nearing the end of my military days, I need something that I can go to job interviews in. I definitely don't want the impression that I am any of the aforementioned things, nor do I want to drive up in a rallied out STi. Kept in good condition, it would still project the image IMO. The STi would constantly be beckoning to be rallied as well, just as my last Impreza did.

The whole Ken Block era? Dumb skateboard punks? Really though last time i checked Ken Block owns half of a little multi-million dollar shoe corporation called DC shoes? Don't they sell skate stuff?? Also owns a a race team which is sponsored by Subura so why wouldn't they go hand in hand? Quit being a sterotypical old miltary turd. Classy S2k? hate to hurt your feelings but it's still a honda don't get me wrong i love mine loved it so much i bought it brand new but at the end of the when my garage closes it still has a H for a emblem, guess yours doesn't :pat:

s2kkyo 09-20-2009 01:28 PM

lol come on guys u dont need to bring this into the thread, thanks for all the helpful comments though, im still at a crossroad but we will see what happens

FrostyWinters 09-20-2009 01:29 PM

I am considering selling my S and getting a WRX. Not the STi, but a WRX hatch. I have considered EVO as well, but experiences from my friends are telling me WRX is a more well-rounded car for daily driving.

Now why am I thinking this? Track days. Karma has a funny way of working. Before I don't have time nor money to attend track days. Now that I do, tracks requires roll bars on the S for safety reasons. Say, I can spend a grand putting a bar in. But when the time comes to sell the S, who is going to buy a car with a cut & mingled interior with an aftermarket bar? Yes, I could take off the bar and sell it separately. However I'd still spend money on buying stock interior pieces just to make the car presentable. With a fixed-roof car, I can just register, show up, and drive on the track during HPDE.

Another reason: Honda's customer service, or the lack of it. My top has developed the hole described in TSB. I took it to the dealership where I used to work at. The service manager is nice (we know each other) and made the call to Honda's regional rep. The regional rep's initial response was typical: he doesn't want to pay. The manager said give him couple days to think over it and will follow up with me. That was last week.

Why I am upset over this issue? My family and I have bought 7 Hondas in the past 15 years. My S has 278xx miles and is 4 months past the 3-year mark for the warranty. If I had used my top more and developed the hole before my warranty expired, Honda would have to pay for it. Now that I baby'd my car and I have to pay for it. This is WRONG.

Sorry, went off topic. Now :backtopic:

s2kkyo 09-20-2009 01:35 PM

are you planning on buying a new wrx? if so you either have to sell or trade your car then buying a new one will cost you more money than putting the roll bar and replacing the pieces if need be lol, if your selling and buying a used one well still look that your going to be paying tax, fees, etc but i mean really up to you.

the thing that kinda stops me is that most cars depreciate (meaning all almost haha) cuz i mean the s makes me happy so far but idunno lol

FF2Skip 09-20-2009 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by s2kkyo,Sep 18 2009, 01:47 AM
Buying an evo/sti?

Still curious as to why you would limit your choices to two econoboxes if you are being honest about your reason for looking at new cars.

s2kkyo 09-20-2009 01:51 PM

oh being in a budget and would like aftermarket support with some speed lol, I don't think an e46 is for me but it has crossed my mind

nissanfanatic 09-20-2009 02:06 PM

[QUOTE=LagunaBlu2k,Sep 20 2009, 10:23 AM] The whole Ken Block era? Dumb skateboard punks? Really though last time i checked Ken Block owns half of a little multi-million dollar shoe corporation called DC shoes? Don't they sell skate stuff?? Also owns a a race team which is sponsored by Subura so why wouldn't they go hand in hand? Quit being a

FF2Skip 09-20-2009 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by s2kkyo,Sep 20 2009, 05:51 PM
oh being in a budget and would like aftermarket support with some speed

Real reason comes to light. And I don't consider $30k a budget purchase.

FF2Skip 09-20-2009 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=nissanfanatic,Sep 20 2009, 06:06 PM] X games rally inspires a large majority of low intelligence members of the X games audience to go and do stupid things in their WRXs, and this normally occurs in the presence of either the police or normal people.

Then you have the business owner who is old in his ways who sees the X games and now sees Subarus on it.

LagunaBlu2k 09-20-2009 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Sep 20 2009, 02:32 PM
1. YouTube is proof positive that people do stupid ish without any outside influence.

2. Old business owners probably do not watch X Games.

3. If the interviewing party actually sees you pull up, it's probably a mom-n-pop operation.

4. Learn to use the right words/spellings when trying to make a point. Otherwise, less merit is awarded to your argument.

5. Personally, I do not like the performance-in-a-box class. Also, I am not a fan of Honda. I do, however, think the NSX and S2000 are incredibly design machines. The NSX is sexy. The S2000 is not.

:iagree:

nissanfanatic 09-20-2009 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Sep 20 2009, 02:32 PM
1. YouTube is proof positive that people do stupid ish without any outside influence.

2. Old business owners probably do not watch X Games.

3. If the interviewing party actually sees you pull up, it's probably a mom-n-pop operation.

4. Learn to use the right words/spellings when trying to make a point. Otherwise, less merit is awarded to your argument.

5. Personally, I do not like the performance-in-a-box class. Also, I am not a fan of Honda. I do, however, think the NSX and S2000 are incredibly designed machines. The NSX is sexy. The S2000 is not.

Why wouldn't old business owners watch the X games? That is sales galore, and typically a good indication of what will be popular for the next year. Whichever energy drink makes it on the X games will probably sell pretty well for the next year or so. I would only guess that any semi-intelligent business owner would at least invest some money...

Youtube is outside influence. Nobody goes onto youtube and posts a video prior to degrading their intelligence watching youtube videos.

Wise employers know more about their potential employee(s) than what they see when the prospect walks in the door. Background checks are probably a minimum at this point since the picking is good right now. I would.

****, I misspelled stereotypical. I'll take it.

The NSX is too exotic of a car to own. All it could ever do is sit, as I would not want to track it for fear of crashing it. I refuse to own cars that cannot be tracked. There are plenty of other useless, expensive, and more ergonomic things I can buy that "look sexy". I'd rather own a Viper anyways if I was in that budget range. Much easier to work on and a great track record of reliability under track conditions.