Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Anyone shipped a dual exhaust from california?

Old 08-01-2006, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Anyone shipped a dual exhaust from california?

Just looking for opinions here, I want to make sure that I am not the only one who thinks I got a little bit jacked around. Here is the situation:

Almost 3 months ago, I ordered a Fujitsubo Exhaust from Bulletproof Automotive. The exhaust was only $769. I spoke with Ben on the phone regarding my order, and he said that the exhaust should be to my house within about 6-8 weeks, as soon as I got back from military active duty in Ft. Jackson, SC. Well, needless to say, I still do not have the exhaust, although they are shipping it this week. When I ordered the exhaust originally, I was told shipping was usually around $100 from CA to VA. That seemed acceptable to me, as that would be only about $20 more than Gruppe-S, when shipping was included. They called me last night, telling me that shipping would be $167, and THEN asked what my shipping address was. First of all, I would think they should have been able to give me a shipping price up front, that is a very unusual policy to charge shipping later. Second, I have ordered several things from California, and none have been this expensive to ship. John, from Hytech, said that my header would cost about $30 to ship. Anyone else have negative experiences like this with bulletproof? I am extremely dissatisfied with their customer service, and have let them know this, but with no results. I wish I would have just ordered from Gruppe-S.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:09 AM

I dunno.....doesn't sound that high to me.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:35 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Well it is a huge box and the rates for shipping co's have been going up with all the fuel costs.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:46 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4,656 Likes on 3,343 Posts

I ordered an Invidia from Cali, but a) it's two peices, and b) shipping was included in the Group Buy...

I can tell you, though, that it only took about three days to get here and that it was in near perfect condition.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by gfacter,Aug 1 2006, 04:35 AM
Well it is a huge box and the rates for shipping co's have been going up with all the fuel costs.
That is true, and something I guess I really didn't think about. I was still dissatisfied that the exhaust took a month longer to get than originally expected, with no phone calls to keep me informed. Also, shipping should be charged with the sale IMO, it allows the customer to know exactly what they are going to pay up front, and that is the way nearly ALL other companies operate. Thanks for all the feedback guys. Also, this exhaust is 2 pieces as well, not just one
Old 08-01-2006, 05:02 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4,656 Likes on 3,343 Posts

Originally Posted by abominablehitman,Aug 1 2006, 04:53 AM
this exhaust is 2 pieces as well, not just one
Well there you go... The box won't be THAT big... My Invidia box was maybe 36x40x10. It came via a normal UPS truck, too. (Nothing bigger could have made it down my street)

The only reason I would excuse the time frame would be if there was a back order or some kind of specified "it's going to take a while to get them to you" sort of thing. If he said he was going to pull them off the shelf and send them to you, you have a gripe. Expecially with the cost of shipping. So many places now build that into the sales price (like Invidia).

I dunno... Unless I am missing something, I think you have a gripe...
Old 08-01-2006, 05:12 AM

I know i got a bumper shipped from Fl to VA and it was somewhere around 160. Big boxes are just hella expensive to ship. A lot of times they have to be shipped by a special carrier. UPS, Fedex, etc have a maximum size.

As far as waiting, i have never heard of anyone on this board doing anything but waiting for something from bulletproof. They get a lot of hard to get JDM items for the S2k and it seems that they get all their stuff cargo'd from Japan direct to them. Hard to put an exact timeframe on something coming over on a cargo ship. On the otherhand though, if he said he didnt have a problem getting it and it would be to you soon, then i would be mad. Unfortunatly, many auto parts people dont care about customer service. Very few are as good as hardtop guy, evolution, etc.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:06 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Back in ~2003 I remember getting totalled screwed on shipping for a Mugen exhaust group buy. I think they charged me $150 to ship a Mugen exhaust from Wisconsin to PA.... I then paid $73 to ship it 2 day through Fedex to Atlanta through my work....

we get good freight rates at my work, but so should any of these businesses that are selling on this board......so Bulletproof should be getting good rates and passing the savings along.

They must be overcharging the freight and either calling it "handling" or just overcharging to make up for the smaller margins on the exhaust?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:07 AM

I just shipped an Invidia (2 piece exhaust) from MD to CA yesterday through DHL for $60.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Scot,Aug 1 2006, 10:06 AM
They must be overcharging the freight and either calling it "handling" or just overcharging to make up for the smaller margins on the exhaust?
Bingo!

Quick Reply: Anyone shipped a dual exhaust from california?