EVENT: BOW Drive & PARTY

Old 04-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4,656 Likes on 3,343 Posts
Default EVENT: BOW Drive & PARTY

Back by popular demand...

WHAT: Mid-A Drive & Party at Barrel Oak Winery

WHEN: Saturday, July 17th

WHY: Cuz it was a damn good time in 2008!

WHO: Anyone! You don't have to like wine or wineries. BOW is a GREAT place to just relax and enjoy the countryside.

We did this back in August of 2008 and had an amazing time. Of course Mother Nature dealt us some amazing weather (especially for August) but the GREAT friends really made it.

I'm doing it again.

My brother-in-law, Brian, is the owner-operator and my sister, Sharon, is the wine maker at BOW so I am able to get us the venue at the low-low price of FREE (I'm still slave labor for them, though) but there is going to be a $10 a head charge for the food. I'll work with everyone that wants to come to collect in advance.

The food...

I am having the even catered by my good friends Derek and Amanda from Local647. Derek is a former executive chef and makes up one wicked burger (you may have heard about them from Good Morning America Weekend Edition). The menu isn't set just yet but I hope to have some sort of grilled burger/chicken as well as a vegi alternative along with some sort of vegi and/or pasta side.

I'd also like to ask that those that are able to do so bring some sodas and some chips with them. I'll also have plenty of bottled water on hand for everyone.

Cheese Swap...

Fellow S2k'er Leadfootgirl (Alison) is also organizing a Cheese Swap with interested parties. You can see her thread about it here:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=795050

How it works - Bring your favorite cheese (s) - pre-sliced or cubed. For those going on the drive, I'll have a small cooler in my car - but we may need another cooler or two to store this stuff. Bring a small board/platter to serve it on. Crackers too if you prefer At BOW, we'll set up, and those that contribute are welcome to try other cheeses with their wines.

The drive...

We will leave from a yet-to-be-determined location somewhere along I-66 about 30 to 40 minutes west of DC. From there, we will snake our way around Loudoun, Prince William, Fauquier, and Jefferson Counties and eventually end up at the winery. The drive will probably be on the order of 60 to 90 minutes long. Last time was AWESOME and I hope we are able to do it again.

This is NOT going to be an S2000 only drive and speeds will be kept relatively sane. I doubt the family truckster will be able to keep up but you want to bring your bike or sport sedan, more power to you.

The party...

Last time we sort of turned it into a Show and Shine for our cars. Several of the BOW regulars and guests actually took quite a bit of interest in our cars and asked a lot of questions. Few even turned into fans! We'll probably do this again so be sure to have your car looking its best (despite all the bugs we are going to pick up on the drive). We'll line up the cars on the lawn of the winery for everyone to wander around and check out.

There is also tons of room for Frisbee, lawn darts, and whatnot. Brian usually has this sort of stuff on hand but feel free to bring your own if you want.

We'll rock it until the place kicks us out at closing (something like 6 o'clock).

So...

The biggest detail I need to sort out is who wants to come... More than anything I need to know this so I can work up the menu with the caterers. Please don't ask if you can come but not pay for the food. I do not to be a hard-ass about it but the food is part of the meet. The setup of the winery and the meet does not lend itself well to pot-luck. I sincerely apologize to anyone for whom this is a real problem.

Also ask that you do make your decision on whether or not to come based on the fact that we are being hosted by a winery. BOW is, like my brother-in-law, a VERY relaxed, casual place. Forget what you think you know about wineries; it does not apply here. No one is expected to enjoy the wines either. They are there if you want to sample (tastings cost a few bucks) or take some home but there is no pressure by anyone to try any of it. Unfortunately, due to stat law, we are not able to bring any off-site alcohol with us.

With all that said, who's :IN:?
    Old 04-05-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm totally in.. but did you really have to start this at 8 am?? really?
    Old 04-05-2010, 09:58 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Id sell my hardtop to go to this.
    Old 04-05-2010, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:in: +1 most def.. but could be +4...
    Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 AM
    Community Organizer

Received 663 Likes on 417 Posts

:IN: +1

We be there.

sure i'll trek down below the mason dixon line for this

:in:
    Old 04-05-2010, 10:01 AM
    Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts

:in: + 1
    Old 04-05-2010, 10:01 AM
    Community Organizer

Received 4,656 Likes on 3,343 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfootgirl,Apr 5 2010, 01:57 PM
    I'm totally in.. but did you really have to start this at 8 am?? really?

The drive will be better the earlier we start. Less "enforcement" and other random ID10T's on the roads.
    Old 04-05-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 154 Likes on 88 Posts

:IN: with atleast a +1, but as many as +5

Quick Reply: EVENT: BOW Drive & PARTY