Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

getting pulled for no front plate in VA

Old 03-21-2016, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting pulled for no front plate in VA

can VA cops pull you over for not running front plates if you have MD plates? I know technically both states require front plates for their registered drivers, but I live in VA and have out of state plates. Would VA technically be responsible for enforcing MD's front plate rule? I used to live in GA where no front plates were required and I drove my car back in MD without any problems I think because cops see the plates as out of their jurisdiction.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:55 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

There is a multi-state reciprocity agreement that addresses the display of license plates among other things. Yes, you can be pulled over in VA for your MD plates. Your ticket will be forwarded to MD under the Driver's License Compact.

http://apps.csg.org/ncic/PDF/Multist...0Agreement.pdf

Disclaimer: IANAL
Old 03-21-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

You're taking your chances. Cops pull cars over all the time for minutiae like this and are rewarded with drug busts and guys with warrants. Good bit of fishing. I think if they see no front plate and then see a VA or MD plate -- and they know you need one -- they'll not only stop but ticket you.

Some of these cars are registered in Ohio, some in PA. Only front plate I see is mine. I don't need the annoyance of being stopped for this.

-- Chuck
Old 03-21-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd been pulled over twice for not having a front plate in MD, but my cars are registered in MD as well. First time was in the '90s, got pulled over in an F&F Civic (black no less) and the state trooper gave me a $50 ticket. No point on license though. Second time was a couple years back in my S. Guess by that time I'm way older and was barely over the speed limit (I was doing 80+ in the Civic on 495, guess the trooper just didn't have time to clock me as I passed him finishing up with another car he pulled over), the MTA cops just gave me a warning and let me go. He asked me why I didn't have the front plate, I told him "The car looks nicer without it." Should've went and bought a lottery ticket that night.

I say if you look a day under 30, put the front plate on. LOL!
Old 03-22-2016, 11:13 AM

I agree with all the responses here. Especially, with e3opian. There is an agreement between states and also depending on the officer and how strict they would like to enforce the rules.

I have a friend who is a State Trooper and he said the same thing, there is an agreement between states, where rules can be applied, BUT you can always fight those, and get them dismissed fairly easily, by showing up in court with a photo with your plates.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by wootang
I agree with all the responses here. Especially, with e3opian. There is an agreement between states and also depending on the officer and how strict they would like to enforce the rules.

I have a friend who is a State Trooper and he said the same thing, there is an agreement between states, where rules can be applied, BUT you can always fight those, and get them dismissed fairly easily, by showing up in court with a photo with your plates.
that is interesting. I was hoping that VA cops would just leave me alone because I have MD tags. I'm sure if you came from a state that doesn't require them, they would leave you alone. Guess I'll have to go buy a bracket to mount my front tag on then.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just pulled over last weekend while driving back from Summit Point for not having a front license plate. I got nailed on Rt. 7 just west of Leesburg.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by mcintoshw2000
I was just pulled over last weekend while driving back from Summit Point for not having a front license plate. I got nailed on Rt. 7 just west of Leesburg.
do you have MD or VA tags?
Old 05-17-2016, 07:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone one know what the fine is? is it a fix it ticket? My friend got pulled over in hie E92 but the cop let him go with a warning to get it put on...
Old 05-17-2016, 07:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kasher_khan
Anyone one know what the fine is? is it a fix it ticket? My friend got pulled over in hie E92 but the cop let him go with a warning to get it put on...
~$25 + Court Costs (~$60) and is a fix-it ticket with no points.

Quick Reply: getting pulled for no front plate in VA