Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Marlyander buying s2k out of state

Old 07-11-2006, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marlyander buying s2k out of state

As you could gather by the topic I live in Maryland and was looking to get a s2k and I have seen alot of them from private sellers out of state.

Was wondering if any of you guys have gone through the process of buying out of state and what it entails?

I pretty much would like any information possible so I'm not standing around the MVA asking questions all day like....How do I pay MD tax when I purchased in another state, how do I get temp tags so I can drive it home from out of state, ect...
I know I'm going to have to call my bank to see what there procedures are for an out of state private party sale.

As you can probaly tell I'm just starting out so any info would be a great help, thanks.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:13 AM

Have you tried going to the MVA website? I personally haven't but the dmv website for VA is VERY helpful and has EVERYTHING you would need to know about anything car registration related...

try that out if you haven't already... good luck
Old 07-11-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You pay MD sales tax (5%) when you register the car in MD. Don't worry, MD will nail you for sales tax. Willie Don wants yo' $$$$$.

Warren
Old 07-11-2006, 08:32 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

i work at a dealer up in pa. we do md tag and title work for md folks but we don't do VA and other states. if you buy from a place that can do it for you great! if not you can probably just pay for the actual car + whatever the temporary 30 day tag is and then just go to a tag and title place. then you would just pay for your state tax and title fees right there and be done with it. i know of one up in manchester (rons auto) or fred's tag and title in timonium but there are probably others.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

You can do it yourself, but it is a huge PITA. I bought my car in VA and you should be prepaired to drive out to the car atleast twice sometimes more and wait for leins to be released and all that.

Your best bet to drive it home (legally) is to get the temp tags after you have the title, then you have 30 days to get the car inspected. This means leaving the car at the previous owner's once you have the title. I would also recommend you make sure that you get it insured as soon as you can.

An alternative, if it isn't that far is to ask the previous owner to use his tags to drive it to your place, but then you are using his insurance so it gets in a very grey area.

Its tricky, but the MVA website does have alot of info on what you are supposed to do.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:50 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

MD also wants a Notary signed Bill of Sale.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Community Organizer

Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

^^^ good call I forgot about that, if you don't have one they will charge you taxes on the blue book value of the car.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gfacter,Jul 11 2006, 02:50 PM
MD also wants a Notary signed Bill of Sale.
the PMS'y MVA woman was telling me about how it's FELONY FRAUD not to have it, and that I would be investigated... wtf

Oh yeah, don't ever go to Beltsville MVA. Drive out to the Annapolis one, you'll actually get home quicker.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goldenfri,Jul 11 2006, 03:28 PM
^^^ good call I forgot about that, if you don't have one they will charge you taxes on the blue book value of the car.
Oh that's right, that was the reason she was being all hyper about it. My buying price was much lower than blue book value and she was flipping out. Very strange.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:45 AM

I went to the Westminister MVA in Carroll county the last two times I had to deal with MVA. It is a bit of a hike, the lines aren't quite as bad as the metro area MVA's. I'd rather spend my time driving than waiting in line.

I'd plan on at least two trips to the MVA, they seem to have it rigged so that you just can't get it done in one stop. Because of this, make sure you can find the seller again if you buy out of state!

John

Quick Reply: Marlyander buying s2k out of state