Meet: Magazines for Military members in Iraq

Old 03-21-2007, 04:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Meet: Magazines for Military members in Iraq

Car Magazine Donation for Military in Iraq

When: Friday March 23 @ 1900+

Where: Quantico Bowling Center, Quantico Marine Corps Base

Original thread

Mike and Sharon Loving are gathering up car mags on behalf of their church to send to troops in Iraq. Old. New. Import. American muscle. Motorcycles. Trucks. If you can part with it, they'll take 'em.

Having served in Desert Shield/Storm, I can recall reading anything available at least 6 times over. I also know that these guys/girls are over there are, for the most part, socking some money away. Probably not a lot of options for spending discretionary funds. I know I first read about the NSX while in Saudi.

In an effort to make it easier to get these publications to our military recipients, I'm inviting donors to meet at my bowling center on a military base. You can drop-n-run or stay, kick some tires, or even bowl. Many of you have been here before. For those that have not, you will not find it via MapQuest. I'll provide detailed directions NLT tomorrow.

Do some good; have some fun!
Old 03-21-2007, 04:40 PM

While at Custom Car Care in Newport News for an alignment, I asked the owner, Brady, if he had any old mags he could part with. when I told him the reason, he immediately grabbed his latest issues and handed them over. Thanks, Brady!
Old 03-21-2007, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on a semi related note... my buddy and next door neighbor, marine officer timmy newkirk is coming home by the end of the month.

woohoo!

(gota put his BBSs on his A4 and wax it up)
Old 03-21-2007, 05:42 PM

doubt i can make it to the center then, but if anybody will be passing through richmond on the way, i have a ton of old FHM, Stuff, and maxim id be willing to part with.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:07 AM

Sadly,
I don't have many of the old Mags laying around. Can they use anything else? books? paperbacks? cash donations to supplement? If I can spring myself free from the puzzle palace, I'm gonna try to make it down

Steve
Old 03-22-2007, 04:16 AM

I'll let Mike or Sharon decide what they are willing to accept.

C'mon folks, I would much rather go home early one night from work. Make it worth my while to stay Friday. I might even give a sneak preview of our new lighting system.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:35 AM

How long will you guys be there? Traffic in Northern VA will prevent pretty much anyone from this area getting there by 7:00pm I think.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:54 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4,653 Likes on 3,340 Posts

I am definitely coming.

I'll grab up whatever magazines I can find around the house. I just get C&D but Bobbie subscribes to a variety of household and fitness type stuff. I am sure she would be more than happy to donate her stash.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by civicguyinva' date='Mar 22 2007, 08:35 AM
How long will you guys be there? Traffic in Northern VA will prevent pretty much anyone from this area getting there by 7:00pm I think.

There is NO way I can make this

If anyone from NoVA is planning on going, please let me know if you wouldn't mind taking my magazines down. I can try to drop them off with you tonight after work so you can take them tomorrow...
Old 03-22-2007, 06:00 AM

Hey Skip! I have a ton of car magazines I want to donate to the troops - AutoWeek, C&D, Road&Track, Motor Trend, Automobile, Budget Travel, and a few miscellaneous others. The dates range from mid-to-late 90s up to last week but I will probably keep my most recent ones.

Tomorrow we are passing thru F'burg twice on a trip to Maryland to swap cars for the wife (05 Mazda 6 ----> 07 Accord V6 6MT ). We are on a truncated time table and with the trade of cars I doubt we'll be able to swap. Tomorrow night is out with stepdaughter activities, but maybe we can get together later???

I really want to get rid of a lot of my magazines.

- Mikey

Quick Reply: Meet: Magazines for Military members in Iraq