Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

New (to me, again) toy. Not S2000 Related

Old 04-12-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts
Default New (to me, again) toy. Not S2000 Related

TL;DR -- Sold my precious bike 2 years ago and couldn't find a replacement. Found my exact bike on CL w/ 1000 more miles than i sold it. Bought it and rode it home.

So my story starts about 2 years ago when I bought this R6 from its original owner. It was my first 'sportbike' and I truly loved it. I put over 10k in the first year I owned it. At the time, I was torn between the R6 I owned and wanting to buy a Honda S2000. I had longed for that car since the 8th grade. An opportunity came about for me to own a mint, 1 owner, low mileage AP1 S2000. I could not pass it up. With a heavy heart, I relinquished ownership of my perfect, low mileage 2001 R6. The minute I heard the faint tone of the exhaust riding away from me, I regretted it. I felt as if I made a mistake. I knew I shouldn't have done what I did. But alas, I did have my dream car and I enjoyed it every day more and more. I also had a VFR 800 Inteceptor to ride, but that thing is/was showroom condition and I didn't ride it much because one day it will be a classic. Even if not to the world, it will be to me. I still own this one.

Fast forward to a time when I now have expendable cash to hunt for another sport bike. Up and down I drove looking, inspecting, talking, and negotiating, but didn't find the right one. No bike I looked at 'felt' right. I didn't have that 'connection' that my R6 gave me. Forward again to last night....as I'm cruising the classifieds on craigslist, I see a humble ad for a 2001 R6. I think "hey, I had 1 one of those." I click the link......OMG...is that...can it be?....no it must be different..but it wasn't. It was the same one. I couldn't believe my eyes. I call immediately and schedule a time to see it first thing in the morning. I literally couldn't sleep that night. I was up all night thinking about how it felt to have that wind in my face, the smell of the outside, that tingly feeling you get when you give the 2 finger salute to a bike in the opposite direction. I arrived a few minutes early; I touched it, felt it, sat on it. It was my ol' girl. I talked to the guy selling it and we agreed on a price. I paid in cash and rode her home. I will be doing some regular maintenance before she's registered and ready for the season, but oh my god, I can't express more how elated I am. Sorry for the wall of text; hope you read some of it

http://imgur.com/a/rGggz#YCa78MB
Old 04-12-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice
Old 04-12-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great story and congratulations on getting her back. I've had that same feeling with a couple of vehicles that I've sold in the past.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:22 PM

Thanks guys. Still feels like I'm about to wake up from a cruel dream.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're very fortunate. My first datsun was a early 74 blue 260z that I did a turbo swap in. First car I ever motor swapped I ever wired and I ever did almost everything on. Was a great car other than a few bad solder connections. Ran HARD. I sold it to a kid in Orlando Florida for 3200. A decent price back then the datsuns didn't take off yet. After a year he hit a lady and had the car sit for a while and then he lost touch with me. We were forum buddies. Then two years ago my cousin unknowingly bought it and figured it out after he fixed the new electrical problems the kid made and told me he had it and sold it. Damnit. I lived in Chicago at the time. Then about a year and a half ago when I knew I was moving here to richmond the car popped up for sale in Chesapeake. I talked to the guy saw pics. It was now multi colored from getting panels changed the interior looked tattered and the bumper sat off center he still wanted 3500 for it. A joke but I saved his number. Cruel irony that phone broke and I never saved him as a contact just saved his texts. Now I have no idea where it is...

Have you seen this car?

All in all envy you. I wouldn't mind finding my zx6r I also bought it off the original owner but sold it to an idiot so I'm sure it's crap by now.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's an awesome story. Congrats dude! You lucky son of a b. lol
Old 04-14-2014, 10:32 AM

Thanks bro. I'm pretty fortunate to have found her again. As a celebration, I've ordered all new rubber and fluids, chain and sprockets and many more to come. The S2 is taking the back seat this summer!!
Old 04-14-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Eh. Bike parts are cheap in comparison and all they need is proper maint and an exhaust, if you're dying for power gear down and go power commander with tune. You're still very lucky though. Hope you got her back for less than you sold it and didn't let off to the seller the value it held to you prior to agreeing on a price.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:06 PM

Scored it for $500 less than I sold it for. And I dealt with one of the owner's associates. I wasn't walking away without the bike after I saw it but I definitely didn't give off that vibe.

I'm not dying for power I think the carb'd 600 is fine for my riding Style. I wanted to keep with the stock sprocket set up for now. Maybe down the line I'll upgrade it and purchase a speedo healer as well to keep the speed and miles accurate. How familiar are you with working on bikes?
Old 04-15-2014, 05:37 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Still had all your gear too.

Kool story bro. No, seriously.

There are a few vehicles of mine that I wish I could get back, one of them my 2000 CBR929.

Quick Reply: New (to me, again) toy. Not S2000 Related