Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Now that I have the parts to replace the brakes...

Old 10-24-2005, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now that I have the parts to replace the brakes...

So I started to do my rear brakes yesterday and got to the point where I need to remove the spindle nut. That sucker is on there pretty tight and I couldn't get it to budge. It's also hard to get a good hold on it.

After doing some searching it says that I should use a 36mm impact driver. First, I don't have one. Second, I have no experience with one.

Is there anyone here that is willing to let me borrow one after showing me how to use it?

Or

Is there anyone here that has one that is willing to help me for about an hour and replace my rear rotors and pads?

Thanks guys!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:04 PM

Uhh I replaced my rotors and pads and didnt ned to do anything with the axle nut...

Actually I had all 4 rotors calipers and lines off of my car and didn't need to touch anything that was 36 mm... When are you trying to do this?
Old 10-24-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SwansS2K,Oct 24 2005, 03:53 PM

So I started to do my rear brakes yesterday and got to the point where I need to remove the spindle nut. That sucker is on there pretty tight and I couldn't get it to budge. It's also hard to get a good hold on it.

After doing some searching it says that I should use a 36mm impact driver. First, I don't have one. Second, I have no experience with one.

Is there anyone here that is willing to let me borrow one after showing me how to use it?

Or

Is there anyone here that has one that is willing to help me for about an hour and replace my rear rotors and pads?

Thanks guys!
Do not remove the axle nut to replace the rear pads/rotors!

All you do is:

1) remove wheel
2) remove the two caliper pin bolts
3) remove the two rotor screws
4) remove the two bolts that hold the caliper body to the hub
5) remove rotor
6) install new rotor
7) reinstall two rotor screws
8) reinstall caliper body to hub
9) install new brake pads
10) reinstall the caliper

Note: You do not have to do anything to the parking brake assembly, it will stay attached to the caliper body when you remove it (but parking brake lever should be set to OFF). Ziptie the caliper body to your shock/spring so it does not stretch or bend the brake fluid line.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:22 PM

Yep thats the way...

by the way, those damn rotor screws are a BITCH to take off... Make sure you have some PB Blaster (or some other bolt loosener) on hand, and if you feel like youre going to strip the head on the screw just stop and get an impact driver...
Old 10-24-2005, 01:00 PM

Hmmmm....ok.

I guess my rotor isnt attached then and is only held on by the lug nuts because the axle nut was all I could find that might have been holding it on (I hadn't taken the caliper off yet). I'm going to see if I can find a pic of a rear rotor and point to where I think the screws should have been.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-24-2005, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SwansS2K,Oct 24 2005, 05:00 PM
Hmmmm....ok.

I guess my rotor isnt attached then and is only held on by the lug nuts because the axle nut was all I could find that might have been holding it on (I hadn't taken the caliper off yet). I'm going to see if I can find a pic of a rear rotor and point to where I think the screws should have been.

Thanks guys!
There should be two little screws in the front of the rotor. They might be missing in which case you can bang on the rotor with a rubber hammer to loosen it (probably held on by rust/corrosion). I think there is also some larger screw holes, you can screw in a bolt that will push the rotor off if it is stuck. I can't remember the screw size (8mm x 1.25 thread pitch???? or was it 1.5???)
Old 10-24-2005, 01:09 PM

In this pic:

If you look at where the impact socket is, is one of the holes for the screws youre talking about at about 2 o'clock direction on the rotor? And the other one is directly opposite it at about 8 o'clock behind the stud that the lug nut goes on?

If so, there weren't any screws in there.

I'll try to take another look tonight and this time I'll take the caliper off and see if I can get the rotor off.

Thanks guys!!
Old 10-24-2005, 03:08 PM

Yep those are the 2 screws, you can see them clearly right there...

If you dont have those then the most annoying part of rotor changing (IMO) is already taken care of. All you have to do is try pulling it straight off. If that doest work, then as Pete said, bang on it with a rubber mallet... I personally just used my metal sledge hammer/mallet thing cuz i knew i wasnt going to reuse the rotors.

Just make sure you don't end up messing up the thread on the lug bolts if you hammer the rotors off... the rotor comes off in a way that if you dont take it straight off evenly from the lugs it can get jammed on a lug at which point if you bang on it with a hammer hard enough, you could mess up the thread on the lug bolt...

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:14 AM

Good stuff. Thanks for lookin out guys. I was going to try and do the brakes last night, but mother nature had other plans. Once it dries up I'll get back at it.

Thanks!!
Old 10-25-2005, 04:45 AM

Yea it was pretty nasty out yesterday, and still is today

Good luck with it whenever you get around to doing it...

Quick Reply: Now that I have the parts to replace the brakes...