Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia
View Poll Results: I am interested in . . . (select one or both)
A soft top group buy.
89.19%
A soft top group install.
86.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Preliminary Info: Soft Top Group Buy and Install

Old 06-23-2017, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there,

I'm looking to replace my top soon (I live in hampton rds). it was some tares that I'm managing with some black rtv. My top has some cloth straps and velcro pads to prevent it from being ripped when moving it up/down.

The top is always prone to tearing, especially at the corners, where the metal bars touch the top, and the upper sides near the window where plastics start cutting the top over time.

Is there a way for the common tear areas to be reinforced and metal bars to be wrapped with a soft material(like soft velcro) to prevent the top from being torn from opening and closing when getting the top installed for this group buy?

I feel like our tops would last a lot longer if the common areas were just reinforced to prevent it from being torn. Is this possible to be done at the time of install?

Thanks and sorry If I asked in the wrong thread.

Last edited by EnforceCM; 06-23-2017 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:13 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Any more word on this? The 29th is only 3 weeks away.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:57 PM

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

You can go ahead and take me off the list, I just finished the install of my new top a few days ago.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on a response from Jeremy. I forwarded the question from EnforceCM to him, and I also asked to confirm the date as I want to lock that date down if at all possible. Not only am I waiting on him, but at the moment, we don't have 5 confirmed people either. Still waiting on that as well. I will keep everyone posted once I hear anything on my side.

Here is the updated list with pricing.
  1. Slim2000 - Confirmed for July 29th weekend
  2. maranelloboy05 (would prefer to wait until end of Summer or September)
  3. iCrap (interested in group buy only)
  4. Purified (interested in group installation only) - Confirmed for July 29th weekend
  5. fangtastic - Confirmed for July 29th weekend
  6. MR S2k
  7. klapamos
  8. CMK - Confirmed for July 29th weekend
99-01
Plastic window top
Vinyl $420,
Cloth $480

00-01
Glass Window top No Defroster
Vinyl $522
Cloth $580

00-01
Glass window w/defroster(wiring harness extra)
Vinyl $540
Cloth $609

02-09
Vinyl - $545,
Cloth - $615

Installation - $525
Old 07-11-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard back from Jeremy, and unfortunately, July 29 is out. He and his wife recently had a baby, so finding a weekend free has been tough for him. He is, however, ready to commit for the weekend of September 16. The group-buy portion of this is all set with topsonline. So once we're ready, we will provide a list of first and last names to everyone who's in so that we will get the group-buy pricing when buying them directly. We would then bring the top on September 16th and pay Jeremy directly for the installation.

Since the date is pretty far out, we'll have to start over with who's still interested, and who is not. So if your name is on the list, please let me know if you're still interested, and if the weekend of September 16 works for you.

I apologize if you were banking on this. Hopefully we can still make this happen in a few months.
  1. Slim2000
  2. maranelloboy05
  3. Purified
  4. fangtastic
  5. MR S2k
  6. CMK
Old 07-11-2017, 12:45 PM
CMK

Dang, okay. I just had a baby too! No excuses!

Anyway, I'm still in. Maybe my wheels will be here by then, even better.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by EnforceCM
Hey there,

I'm looking to replace my top soon (I live in hampton rds). it was some tares that I'm managing with some black rtv. My top has some cloth straps and velcro pads to prevent it from being ripped when moving it up/down.

The top is always prone to tearing, especially at the corners, where the metal bars touch the top, and the upper sides near the window where plastics start cutting the top over time.

Is there a way for the common tear areas to be reinforced and metal bars to be wrapped with a soft material(like soft velcro) to prevent the top from being torn from opening and closing when getting the top installed for this group buy?

I feel like our tops would last a lot longer if the common areas were just reinforced to prevent it from being torn. Is this possible to be done at the time of install?

Thanks and sorry If I asked in the wrong thread.
Great question, and these tops, OEM or otherwise will continue to rip in the corners if not properly corrected. To address this issue, i correct the frame issues, burrs on the corner of the frame, to stop this from happening again. After sanding the frame wear points, i repaint the small area of the frame to prevent any rust from forming in those areas as well. It's good insurance for me as the installer to prevent issues down the road and keep you, the customer, happy.

Additionally Robbins installs a second layer of material, on the cloth tops only, in those areas to further prevent the tears from happening.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

My apologies for being somewhat absent from this thread, and for changing the date. I'm hoping we can make the September date work for all that had interest previously.

I'll be in and out of this thread so please feel free to ask any questions.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:33 AM
CMK

Hey Jeremy, thanks for swinging by and providing an update. Great info about the top wear points...now I definitely don't regret committing. I think we'll all be very satisfied.

And congratulations on the little one!
Old 07-16-2017, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Jeremy!

If this is a whole weekend install deal, I can probably do September 17th but likely not the 16th. Still in for the group buy as well.

Quick Reply: Preliminary Info: Soft Top Group Buy and Install