Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Somd top install

Old 06-15-2019, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somd top install

I’ve been debating selling my 2001 spa yellow s2000. It only has 80k but needs a top and some other general maintenance. I’ve got it all cleaned up and Damn.... it now seems too nice to sell.

Its in bad bad need of a top. I thought I was set when I found Chris kalasky but I think he is out of the S2K business.

I met met some guys at cars and coffee at the beanery. They had installed their own top so I’m going to ask them.

I also have a stereo that needs installed.

Any my recommendations on people or places fairly near somd area. I will pay for all work (of course). I just don’t have skills or time.

Ive owned the car since 2003. I just can’t see myself getting rid of it. I think I’ll kick myself.

Other work needed:
tct
valve adjustment
New brake lines??
anything else?? I’ve basically just changed fluids over the last 16 years.

Thanks everyone
dan
Old 06-23-2019, 01:23 PM
Jub

Received 386 Likes on 309 Posts

For the soft top install, Jeremy (@2poor2mod) can take care of you cleanly and quickly. He's up in Jersey, right over the bridge from Philly. The drive wasn't too bad from Baltimore and he does quick work. The PO on my car had a normal shop do my install and it wasn't pretty. Jeremy got me straightened out. Highly recommend him over taking the chance with someone who may not have the same experience. As for the other stuff, all fluids, axle nut TSB, and spark plugs.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:55 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
For the soft top install, Jeremy (@2poor2mod) can take care of you cleanly and quickly. He's up in Jersey, right over the bridge from Philly. The drive wasn't too bad from Baltimore and he does quick work. The PO on my car had a normal shop do my install and it wasn't pretty. Jeremy got me straightened out. Highly recommend him over taking the chance with someone who may not have the same experience. As for the other stuff, all fluids, axle nut TSB, and spark plugs.
Thanks Jub.

Dan, happy to help with the soft top install and if you want the best mechanic to do the rest and you’re up for the job reach out to Billman250, he’s on Long Island.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:12 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Jeremy is a roof replacement god (almost with a capital G). Worth the drive. He did four roofs for us in DC earlier this month. He brought his "family car" full of tools. Worth the DC traffic and 4 hour round trip from Richmond for me. Bring your own Robbins roof -- it will (just) fit in the passenger seat. He makes this look easy -- which is why I'd never attempt this!

If you can get an appointment and have the time for the pilgrimage to Billman's place (not quite in the Hamptons) do it but a valve adjustment and Billman TCT (accept no substitutes) are Saturday morning jobs in your garage or driveway. Engine needs to be cold (under 100°F) for the valve adjustment. Valve adjustment requires $20 in "special" tools and a gasket set (best practice is to replace all the gaskets but many don't). The engine has to be turned over by hand to adjust the valves which is easier with the spark plugs out so put in new spark plugs while you're at it. Remove the wrench from the crank pulley before starting -- came close on this. TCT swap takes a 10mm wrench and a paper towel.

-- Chuck
Old 06-28-2019, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for al the input. I’ll have to see if I can eventually plan a jersey trip to get the top done. The top is my only gripe w this car. Thanks for the input.