Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Sova Chat Thread ver. III

Old 01-12-2012, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to get my car sorted out for the upcoming season (suspension, brakes, exhaust, fluids, etc) and I'm stuck. I supposedly have a shit ton of work coming but I have yet to receive it. Without it I can't finalize my plans. I'm completely at the mercy of my clients at this point and it is driving me insane. Its delay after delay after delay. I've heard "we need to get together but I'm on my way out of town" for vacation a hand full of times in the past couple weeks. haha great.

Sorry, had to vent. With any luck this will change soon.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:03 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

That sucks Jeff. Are you in the sign business? I've never actually spoke to you about what you do. I know you got me those magnetic numbers but I didn't know if you had a hookup, did a little on the side, or that was what you did for a living.

Free plug for Jeff....go to him if you need magnetic numbers or anything for a race car or autocross car. It was so much nicer to have the magnetic numbers instead of fiddling with painters tape. Plus it looks great!

As always I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with the car. One minute I'm ready to just leave it as is and keep it a fun street/autocross car and the next I want to make a track car. I don't really want to spend money on a rollbar, harnesses, and another bucket that I'll use 2-3 weekends a year but it's necessary if I want to track it. Plus the risk of actually do some kind of substantial damage. I know I can use that same chunk of money for an exhaust and flashpro and that'll make the car more fun every time I get behind the wheel. Should make the car slightly more competitive autocrossing as well. decisions decisions.

Just need to figure out how to make money grow on trees.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Thanks Steve! Graphics and magnetics are a side thing for me. I've done track cars, pro jetskis, business fronts and, of course, everything for autocross cars. I use it to help support my autocross habit. I should probably do more of it and look into being a sponsor on here but I haven't gone that far.

My "day job" is as a design and engineering consultant. I own a small business which supports all varieties of industry. Specifically, I speciallize in architectural design and modeling but regularly work with the Navy and Special Warfare communities. In fact, I'm waiting on a very large Navy project that has been approved but we're waiting on design input from the powers that be. My work situation could be described as a sheet of glass with boulders being stacked on it. Its eventually got to give, right?

Your car is looking great, we'll definitely have to get to some of the same events this year. TSCC has applied for the use of ACU4 again this year. Nobody is optimistic about it but it would be nice if we got to use it again. I know how you feel about the bar thing, I'm not willing to do it to my car for what would be 3 or less weekends a year.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 PM

That would be awesome if they got ACU4 back this year. I know it's still unlikely but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The bar is generally a giant pain and it's a lot of extra weight to add if you're just going to keep all the stock interior stuff. Right now I'm kind of leaning towards holding off on any track car plans for this year and then I'll reconsider next winter depending on how much free time I have and what funds look like.

I had a lot more fun at the last autocross I attended in November than I remember usually having. Maybe the car setup was real good or I'm slowly getting to be a better driver but it was a blast. Provided it hasn't filled up or doesn't fill by the time I remember I'm considering doing the autocross Evo School in March up here near Richmond. We definitely do need to get to a couple of the same events and I'd really like to get Pete and Kitt and some of the other guys out there to try it.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:44 AM

Also been thinking about ditching all track/autocross car plans and just making a purely fun street car starting with a SOS supercharger.

Yeah. 2012. Time for a change.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve, as much as a die hard S2000 N/A believer I am... I say go for the SOS kit. I know you've been contemplating that thing for close to a year.

Do it!

And then I'll buy it from you a month after you install it, cause then you'll want a race car again.

Win.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:19 PM

^Probably the truth and probably what I'm going to do. haha.

I will say though that a ride in EJs car showed me just how much like a totally stock NA car the SOS kit can drive.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:19 PM

Anyone have experience with Bilstein PSS and the stupid helper springs on them? I was trying to raise the rear of my S2000 yesterday and I can literally only raise it 2-3 threads before it just becomes impossible to raise any more. I have some generic coilover wrenches and I've tried using a screw driver and a hammer to spin and raise the threading. I think its the helper springs that are giving me a problem?

I was considering maybe getting a spring compressor to see if that would aid in the ease of raising the car? Any advise guys? I'm a novice at messing with suspension.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You know there's a limit to how much you're supposed to raise or lower the Bilsteins? Having said that, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to raise the height if you're using the right size spanner wrench and have enough room to get some leverage on it.

This assumes the shock body threads aren't corroded or have a bunch of sand, etc. in them.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 PM

Also, helper springs should have little to no effect on lifting the car. You should be able to fully compress the helpers by hand.

Quick Reply: Sova Chat Thread ver. III