Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

w1ngman's gonna have to hibernate for the winter...

Old 11-10-2003, 10:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Folks...

I have some things coming up in my life that are causing me to consider "hibernating" for basically as much as a year (as far as s2ki.com is concerned). This has me strongly considering stepping away from my Community Organizer/Moderator responsibilities here on the Mid-Atlantic forum. This "sticky" thread, therefore, is meant to be a general discussion board for nominations to replace me in my role as CO/Mod for the Mid-Atlantic forum.

Currently, large projects at work are forcing me to deliberately stop logging on to the site during my workday to see that they get completed on time. The largest project is actually going hard and heavy now and should last well into next winter . It will soon get to the point that hours will go long and weekends might well be included.

More personally, Taska and I are strongly considering what we want to do as far as our property in Goochland. We've enjoyed the improvements we've made to our property over the years. But recent housing development (regardless of how "nice" it is...and with homes around us starting at $250K on ~ 1 acre lots...they're niiiiiiice) have us concerned about the safety of our horses. Whether in noticing kids walking up to our horse pastures and reaching over to pet the horses (sorry...but in our "overly-protective" ways...when will the wrong kid reach through and do something unpleasant to one of our horses?...or when will, with muuuuuuuuuch heavier traffic on our road now than ever before, when will a car careen into our pasture fence which runs parallel and nearly right up to the roadfront?, etc.). The 4 acres we currently have are really not enough to suit Taska's 3-Day Eventing conditioning needs. We don't have a riding ring, though we've discussed it often. But to put one in, would be to further reduce the pasture/conditioning area we currently have. You get the idea... Anyway, that leaves us considering moving. Our choices will come down to finances of course, and as we begin to investigate, we may well find that we just ain't got the bucks to actually move to a larger spot of land, etc. If we cannot financially swing a move (we want to purchase ~ 10+ acres...and still prefer living in Goochland), then we are talking about doing major remodeling of the existing home/barn. Such remodeling would largely come out of monies I might make from clearings...although we're considering a home improvement loan.. The pasture/ring/safety is another thing altogether...and that alone will make us look long and hard at finding a way to make moving a reality. If, however, we do find land...and if that land is not developed (house, etc. not previously built on it) then my personal time will be heavily devoted to designing our next home/garage/barn, dealing with realtors, builders, etc. And of course, with or without building a next home/garage/barn, if we look to move/sell our place in Goochland then I'll still have a world of repairs/paintin' etc. to do to our place. All in all...my prospects for "free time" over the next year at least will be greatly, greaaaaatly, dimenished I'm afraid .

I'll still intend on visiting the boards. And by all means, The Bruised Banana stays...its a part of my life (as is this community) that I hope to keep until the day I pass. I'll still intend on making it to events...and would expect to still visit our boards a few times a week. But these impending obligations will simply take so much of my time that I'd feel bad about neglecting our wonderful Mid-Atlantic community. And for that reason, I'd rather turn the reins over to another energetic and willing owner.

So...at this time...and on this "sticky" thread...I would ask Mid-Atlantic folks to consider nominating [themselves and/or others] to the position of Mid-Atlantic Community Organizer/Moderator. My plans would be to keep the nominations open for the remainder of the month of November. By the 1st of December, I would intend on creating a poll/thread with the nominations...and would leave that open for voting for ~ 2 weeks. So that, by Christmas and no later, the Mid-Atlantic community would have a new CO/Mod to move them into 2004 .

I'm sorry to spend much of this post with the personal stuff that is making me come to this decision, but I thought it might better help folks appreciate why I'm considering this. Thanks for your patience...and please, let the nominations begin!

Best Regards,
Dave "w1ngman" Parker

Nominations (alphabetical order)
  • FF2Skip
  • Poindexter
  • rwr4a -- declined...but still plans to be very involved
  • TepEvan
  • "Someone from Evolution"
  • "Someone at Jim Coleman Honda"

It has also been suggested by some members that we consider a "Joint" Community Organizer option within the Mid-Atlantic forum given the broad area our forum covers. I could not be more happy with this idea. It has often bugged me that I know I tend to focus my meets obviously down here around the Richmond area. Having a NOVA/SOMD area Community Organizer along with a Richmond/VA Beach/Hampton Roads area Community Organizer would be very productive IMO.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dave,

you certainly have a lot on your plate in the upcoming future. i do hope that you do get the opportunity to find a place to move to. with the new mall at short pump, shouldn't that help with cost of selling your house? conversely, i'd recommend buy a house that really fits your needs farther away from development.

you've been a great CO. gee. in retrospect, if raul sold his s2k, we probably would have lost two the most enthusiastic members of the board. i'm glad your keeping the banana and admire your insight with road that lies ahead of you.

-ric
Old 11-10-2003, 11:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks...BTW, here I've been a "CO/Mod" and I have no idea how you have FOUR STARS in your avatar!!!

...what gives...

- Dave
Old 11-10-2003, 11:57 AM

well you're coming up on three stars in 2 days.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:08 PM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Hey, yeah, Dave...almost your S2Ki birthday! Let me give you an early Happy in case I forget. I'm sure all the Mid-A members (and everyone else) are going to miss your active involvement, but please don't desert us completely.
It's going to be hard to replace you as CO, but I have been thinking of someone who might be able to at least partially fill your shoes. I've got three in mind, but I'm going to wait a bit to make my suggestion and see what others come up with. Maybe one of them will volunteer!
Old 11-10-2003, 01:52 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,

Sorry to see you have to do this, but I can certainly understand concerns of liability - it is something I deal with in every decision/email I make (here at work). I know I have not been involved with this community for too long - shoot I just took delivery of my car Thursday, and should be finalizing the contract in another hour - but you have been a fantastic help and guidance! I do very much look forward to meeting you in person (hopefully this Sunday). I would think a replacement for you will be extremely hard to come by. I plan on staying a member of the community, and would like to see the same kind of moderation/joking around/good judgement/enthusiasm that you've given. Those are going to be some big shoes to fill + finding someone who has the time. I am willing to help in any way I can.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:54 PM

as far as the time portion is concerened alex (poindexter) has all the computer time in the world. he sits on the computer all day at work and can do it all night at home. not many of you have met him but i think he'd do a good job. who ever takes over has to be as involved with meets as dave was thats for sure.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:23 PM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Originally posted by Checkered Flag
as far as the time portion is concerened alex (poindexter) has all the computer time in the world. he sits on the computer all day at work and can do it all night at home. not many of you have met him but i think he'd do a good job. who ever takes over has to be as involved with meets as dave was thats for sure.
Well, he's one of the three I had in mind!
Old 11-10-2003, 03:48 PM

I think someone in the DC area would be (geographically) in a better position to plan, organize and attend events that will bring the Maryland and Virginia folks together.

Regardless of who it is, they'll have some huge shoes to fill. Dave, you truly are irreplaceable. I only hope Mid-A finds someone who will do half as good a job or care half as much about the people as you.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:00 PM

i agree with dave for just the fact that the heart of mid a is in the maryland dc area.

Quick Reply: w1ngman's gonna have to hibernate for the winter...