MidWest S2000 Club Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Missouri, Iowa, and Minnesota

New owner in Twin Cities -where to service?

Old 10-15-2018, 02:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New owner in Twin Cities -where to service?

Can you folks recommend a few independent shops in the twin cities, preferably on the west side?
Old 10-15-2018, 05:24 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

I'm sure some local guys will respond. 'Bout time to put yours in winter storage.

Many of us here service our own S2000s and team up with fellow owners. Routine service is dirt simple and satisfying (at least for me) to perform. Other than buying the specific oil filter for this car I've not visited a Honda dealer since purchasing my car 4 years ago -- and there's a big one maybe two miles away.

There are some excellent photo essays here regarding fluid changes (engine, gearbox, differential, brakes and clutch, and engine coolant). Set of Home Depot. Lowes, or Harbor Freight metric tools and a few (very few) specialized but easily found special tools is all ya need. Seems at times that a 10mm wrench will work on 90% of the car.

Valve adjustment is very simple albeit time consuming and probably the most "complex" maintenance task. A set of jackstands and you can service the brakes. You'll need some help with a clutch change though -- at least a buddy with a lift.

Common preventive maintenance tasks like a new timing chain tensioner (TCT) or accessory belt are easy peasy with hand tools.

The 1000 page Service Manual is on line as is the electrical manual.

-- Chuck
Old 10-15-2018, 06:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. I come from a farm background and enjoy wrenching when I have time. But I will only have this car for about two weeks before it goes into storage. At a minimum I want the coolant flushed and prepared for our winters. May do a lot of the other stuff next spring myself.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:50 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Excellent information in the Library. Getting the air out of the system is a PITA but there are several good suggestions. Engine coolant replacement schedule is 120,000 miles or 10 years, then 60,000 miles or 5 years whichever come first. I was last flushed and filled in 2014 so I'm due for a 5 year coolant change next summer even though I've put about 22,000 miles on the car since the last coolant change. Honda dealers stock the coolant. The parts guys at the local dealer here know the S2000. There was no confusion regarding which oil filter I needed and they handed me the correct washer for the drain as well.

Owners manual prescribes an oil and filter change and battery disconnect (be sure to have the radio code!) before storage lasting more than a month. Use the specific filter.

-- Chuck
Old 10-15-2018, 09:55 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

I am here in the Twin Cities but do all my own work regardless of what it is unless it is alignments or tire work. So I have never taken my cars to a shop and thus really do not know who is good to use. You may not autocross, but if you get onto the local mnautox.com forums and ask there, I bet you will get some good inputs.

Coolant flush is easy. Bleeding the air from the system is not hard, just takes a bit of time. I had to replace my radiator a week ago (stock unit cracked on the upper tank) and it took me 20 min to replace the radiator and about 30 min to bleed the system. I used the no-spill funnel method which works great, but I did still crack the bleeder open a couple of times to get some small amounts of remaining air out.

I drove mine to work today Also had an autocross both days this weekend at Canterbury. Saturday was great, yesterday was not as great, but was still fun in its own way. Have not had a snowball fight at an autocross before :P Snowed from 7am until mid day. Nothing stuck on the ground of course, but wet pavement at 34 degrees makes for an interesting autox experience on RE-71Rs :P

Will have one more autox this coming weekend and then the s2k will be close to being put away for winter.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know there is an S2000 community in the Twin cities. I moved here from California in June and I've been looking for knowledgeable car enthusiasts to hang out with.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any DIY garages in Minnesota? I got a quote from OHV motors to change all my fluids (engine, transmission, differential, clutch, brake, radiator) and it was eye popping.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by gizzard
Are there any DIY garages in Minnesota? I got a quote from OHV motors to change all my fluids (engine, transmission, differential, clutch, brake, radiator) and it was eye popping.
There used to be one in EP, but they closed a few years ago. I am not sure if there are others around us.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gizzard
I needed my rocker arms done when I bought my s2000 3 years ago and was quoted 2 grand by a local shop. I did it myself in under an hour. It feels like the prices are jacked up for the car specifically. eye popping indeed. I will and always have done all of my maintenance and installs myself.