Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

17 year old that needs some direction..

Old 06-08-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 17 year old that needs some direction..

?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Find something you like doing that then find fields that do this. For me, this was business, I like business in general. I went to school for marketing, which covers a full range of business activities.

You're going to be working for the next 50+ years, better enjoy it. Less you join in the ranks of the 'fly under the radar so I can watch American idol' group.

FYI - nothing wrong with living with your parents and going to school.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing you might consider, take all the classes you can at a community college. Community college's tuition is usually significantly cheaper than the state school's tuition. I got my degree in Engineering from a state school. I was working and living at my dad's house through school, so that really helped not having to pay rent while going to school. Luckily I received the Pell Grant and that went a long way at my school. At least around here most people qualify for the Pell Grant, but some people don't even fill out the FASFA form to see if they qualify. In hind sight I really wish I would have taken my general education classes at a community college, and took the rest at the state school. Not only are community colleges cheaper, but they tend to be easier as well. Sometimes the state schools try and screw you around with which classes you took at the community college will count towards your degree at the state school. As long as you tell your community college advisor what you are doing they will make sure you take the correct classes so they transfer 1 to 1. Also, if you get your Associate's degree at a community college the state school has to accept it by law, at least in my state. A lot of guys I went to school with wanted to take a ton of classes each semester and take Summer courses so they could graduate early. I started taking 21 credit hours a semester at first, but I started to get burned out. It took me a while, but I figured out that I can really only handle 12 hours of real classes and a 1 hour stupid class(yoga, tai-chi...) to de-stress while I was working. Also I never took Summer classes, I needed the break. You're only young once. So, in summary if I were to do it again I would have got some job with little to no responsibility, chased tail at my no responsibility job, spent my financial aid wiser by taking community college classes, taken fewer classes from the start, but I think I would still have gone into Engineering. It's a pretty neat degree to have. When you graduate they pay you a decent salary, around here around 55k/year(around here that's a lot) and then they raise your pay a few thousand every year pretty much until you retire. Also, with a technical degree, you can usually get jobs that don't have anything to do with your major with not too much effort. I know where you are coming from, when I was in school I hated it and thought about doing something else several times. But, after I graduated I really missed going to school. Just keep plugging away, like the recovering alcoholics do, one day at a time. You'll get there and you will be glad you stuck it out. Just think of all the stuff you can buy for your S after you graduate and get a good paying job. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

S2Cho take it from someone who dropped out of college [because it was too easy], I regret this decision fully. While I'm blessed with a great job where I'm making 60k at 25 w/o a degree, I'm the exception not the rule. At 17 36$ an hour might seem like a lot, hell at 25 my $28/hr seems great... until you get into the real world. In a dwindling economy where the dollar is devaluing day after day, these salaries which may be attractive at a young age, become increasingly difficult to be able to handle your required finances, find room to save, and enjoy life at the same time.

Also note; trade schools... aren't all that powerful in the job market alone. Any employer will look at the resume of someone who at least did GE college followed by a trade school, than the kid who graduated and jumped right into trade school and then into the market. Part of it has to do with age; at 19 you're not that mature, employers may not even generally trust someone that young in that position. Trust me, if you don't want to end up like your parents... continue to educate yourself, even if its minimally.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Find something you like doing that then find fields that do this. For me, this was business, I like business in general. I went to school for marketing, which covers a full range of business activities.

You're going to be working for the next 50+ years, better enjoy it. Less you join in the ranks of the 'fly under the radar so I can watch American idol' group.

FYI - nothing wrong with living with your parents and going to school.

The reason im doing medical mostly is because it will be a skill i dont mind doing and its something that is always changing.

and i thought about joining the military but my parents
cant stand thinking about it. i guess its a parent bond
Old 06-10-2011, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by wsu_s2k
One thing you might consider, take all the classes you can at a community college. Community college's tuition is usually significantly cheaper than the state school's tuition. I got my degree in Engineering from a state school. I was working and living at my dad's house through school, so that really helped not having to pay rent while going to school. Luckily I received the Pell Grant and that went a long way at my school. At least around here most people qualify for the Pell Grant, but some people don't even fill out the FASFA form to see if they qualify. In hind sight I really wish I would have taken my general education classes at a community college, and took the rest at the state school. Not only are community colleges cheaper, but they tend to be easier as well. Sometimes the state schools try and screw you around with which classes you took at the community college will count towards your degree at the state school. As long as you tell your community college advisor what you are doing they will make sure you take the correct classes so they transfer 1 to 1. Also, if you get your Associate's degree at a community college the state school has to accept it by law, at least in my state. A lot of guys I went to school with wanted to take a ton of classes each semester and take Summer courses so they could graduate early. I started taking 21 credit hours a semester at first, but I started to get burned out. It took me a while, but I figured out that I can really only handle 12 hours of real classes and a 1 hour stupid class(yoga, tai-chi...) to de-stress while I was working. Also I never took Summer classes, I needed the break. You're only young once. So, in summary if I were to do it again I would have got some job with little to no responsibility, chased tail at my no responsibility job, spent my financial aid wiser by taking community college classes, taken fewer classes from the start, but I think I would still have gone into Engineering. It's a pretty neat degree to have. When you graduate they pay you a decent salary, around here around 55k/year(around here that's a lot) and then they raise your pay a few thousand every year pretty much until you retire. Also, with a technical degree, you can usually get jobs that don't have anything to do with your major with not too much effort. I know where you are coming from, when I was in school I hated it and thought about doing something else several times. But, after I graduated I really missed going to school. Just keep plugging away, like the recovering alcoholics do, one day at a time. You'll get there and you will be glad you stuck it out. Just think of all the stuff you can buy for your S after you graduate and get a good paying job. Good luck!

I filled out the FASFA form and my total payment for my radiology degree is around 15k a year. So around 30k total. I really want to get started and learn a skill. My worries are it will be too much and i might just quit. But i will do more than my best and i will finish my schooling and im sure looking forward buying my S a bunch of presents!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:22 AM

Look I'm just telling you, forget the cash now, get it later. You get the cash now, you get comfortable, you spend it, life happens, you never get that chance again. Trust the guy who fell for the same thought process. I got bored, wanted to make some money. Now it's damn near impossible for me to get back into class without going the expensive private route. Do it while you can, you don't always get that second opportunity.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by whiteflash
Look I'm just telling you, forget the cash now, get it later. You get the cash now, you get comfortable, you spend it, life happens, you never get that chance again. Trust the guy who fell for the same thought process. I got bored, wanted to make some money. Now it's damn near impossible for me to get back into class without going the expensive private route. Do it while you can, you don't always get that second opportunity.
I think that i can always go back to my community college. With my FASFA filled out I'm 99% positive that i wont have to pay much for school. But i Fully understand what you are saying.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by s2cho
I think that i can always go back to my community college. With my FASFA filled out I'm 99% positive that i wont have to pay much for school. But i Fully understand what you are saying.
You're your own adult, and I fully don't expect you to listen to the guy with the avatar of a cat. But I will say, those were my words... almost verbatim. I'll just leave you with these parting words, which I just feel lucky enough to have grasped as young as I have...

Greed and impatience always has been, and always will be the reason for the descent of man unless corrected

Best of luck,

Brian
Old 06-11-2011, 10:10 AM

Thanks! Means a lot!

Quick Reply: 17 year old that needs some direction..