Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

20 yr old with a few questions

Old 11-17-2011, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I haven't replied in a while. Thanks for everyones replies.

Starting with credit score and responsible credit, before I bought my car I brought my credit score up to a 720 and my car loan is at like 4.x% interest. I have made every car payment on time so I assume my score is better but who knows. I already have a house that's paid for. So all I have to worry about is utilities, car payment, insurance, cell phone and cable. I think I'll manage. I've decided I'll keep the s2k for as long as I possibly can. I'm not gonna invest, just gonna start paying my student loans instead.

Speaking of the mechanic field, there will ALWAYS be a need for technicians. It doesn't really matter if the cars get more and more electric, think about it, how often when something is wrong with a car now, its something electrical? Electronic stuff breaks too.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whiteflash
Originally Posted by FluKy15' timestamp='1321446781' post='21160346
Yea thats true. I still live with my parents so that is cutting cost. I pay rent, however it is still cheap.

For the guys in the states, is it only $500 a month now?! Thats it?! In Toronto its like $1000 average, and that is being generous, for rent.
I wish. That's if you're sharing a house with like 2-4 guys (size of house depending).

I pay 662.50/mth in rent for a 2 bed, 1 bath with my brother (So 1325, if my arithmetic skills are up to par). At least here in Northern California, for a one bedroom apt you're looking at ~1000 in an 'indifferent' neighborhood, and about 1200-1500 in a 'good' one. If a place is under a grand here, I basically already assume something sketch is going on in the proximity.
If I wanted to be downtown Toronto, and in an actual good place, the price is gonna be $1500 atleast as well, but I still think Cali is overpriced by the sounds of it . Toronto is crazy cause it has such a vast range of prices.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FluKy15
If I wanted to be downtown Toronto, and in an actual good place, the price is gonna be $1500 atleast as well, but I still think Cali is overpriced by the sounds of it . Toronto is crazy cause it has such a vast range of prices.
There's a number of places within an hour of driving distance where a million dollar house is considered cheap. It actually makes my stomache churn a little bit
Old 11-20-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice to you is part out aftermarket mods then sell car. Pay off car loan. With remaining money, buy a reliable inexpensive car in cash. If your not already working then get a part time job to help pay for school while you attend. Your gonna need money for tools as well. After you graduate and find a job in your field concentrate on paying off your student loans. As far as investing I suggest you talk to a professional. Do you plan to open your own shop or work for someone else and make them wealthier?
Old 11-20-2011, 02:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would pretty much have to work for someone else.

1. I don't have a whole lot of experience yet.
2. I have no idea how to run a business.
3. I wouldn't know how to get the money to open my own shop. Maybe later on in life I will though.

I graduate in a month and a half. I plan on puttin in applications in places during Christmas break.

I have a very basic tool kit, rachets, sockets, wrenches, and that's about it. I am planning on buying 2 torque wrenches and an impact and air rachet, I don't even know what else I'll need..
Old 11-20-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by riegerm3
My advice to you is part out aftermarket mods then sell car. Pay off car loan. With remaining money, buy a reliable inexpensive car in cash. If your not already working then get a part time job to help pay for school while you attend. Your gonna need money for tools as well. After you graduate and find a job in your field concentrate on paying off your student loans. As far as investing I suggest you talk to a professional. Do you plan to open your own shop or work for someone else and make them wealthier?
Only live once, why not enjoy the nice cars while he still can. Before he gets older, gets married, has to buy a house and has kids. Everyone tells me that same thing and I disagree with them or ignore them. My car is what I am passionate about too. I wont be able to afford a nice car, much like the average person, later on in life.

That is just my thinking anyways
Old 11-21-2011, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wont be able to afford a nice car, much like the average person, later on in life.
^That's your problem right there.
It's all about priorities. Sure it would be great to be driving around a S2000 at 20 years of age, but I rather be debt free or close to it.
If you fail to plan; you plan to fail.

But all in all, different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by riegerm3
Originally Posted by FluKy15' timestamp='1321862487' post='21173320
I wont be able to afford a nice car, much like the average person, later on in life.
^That's your problem right there.
It's all about priorities. Sure it would be great to be driving around a S2000 at 20 years of age, but I rather be debt free or close to it.
If you fail to plan; you plan to fail.

But all in all, different strokes for different folks.
It's because I would rather have a cottage with boats and such later on, over a sports car. Those are my prioties
Old 11-23-2011, 04:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's because I would rather have a cottage with boats and such later on, over a sports car. Those are my prioties
Yes but if you're spending such an exorbitant amount of your income on a car now, how will you ever save for a cottage? Then boats, etc.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:24 AM

Step 1: Sell me your CR lip.

Quick Reply: 20 yr old with a few questions