Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

22y.o. and need some direction

Old 09-26-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by ans2k' timestamp='1348686740' post='22039927
first off, i have no idea what i would do in your position. second im in dental school. do you have any idea who or how to become an orthodontist? 10 years? No. your gf/you have no idea what you two are in for. it takes 4 years of college and 4 years of dental school and then 3-4 years of more school/residency to be a orthodontist. second, it takes a very hard working smart person to get from college to dental school, we are taking about 3.5 minmum GPA. and then, you have to be either number 1 or number 2 in your dental class just to be accepted into the ortho program. somehow my first impression of your future wife doubts her ability to follow through with this plan being with someone like you. btw if you are currently working 60 hours a week, and she does end up in dental school, GOOD f@#kING LUCK!!!!!!! on keeping that afloat.

but, good luck on you career choice. fwiw, i have a few friends who are mechanics and they make 40-60K a year. the trick is to do "side jobs" you charge half the cost of what the dealership charges and people will think they are saving a lot.
how do you know his girlfriend isn't in dental school already? or isn't smart? Just b.c she's with him? You sound like a freaking dumbass.

get off your high horse. your in dental school. big freakn deal.

and just FYI, i know more than enough people in the medical profession. Ones that are harder than an orthodontist.
ok my message my have came wrong. how do i know she isn't in dental school? because it doesn't take 10 years to get to the ortho program while in dental school. ok yeah she may be smart, but ehh. dental school may not be a big freaking deal. but they way this guy makes it sounds to be a orthodontist is non-realistic. it is incredibly tough. i am a realist, i know i am smart. but only above average in the class but i dont aim for that high of a program. and i too know people in the medical/dental field and i know more people outside those fields that are a ton harder. im just saying to be a orthodontist takes a lot of work and unfortunately a lot of sacrifices. but hey. more power to the OP. good luck.

btw, i dont see myself on a high horse, i just know its a long hard path for the OP's future wife that only a few selected people can do.

but OP dont let me fully discourage you, just know it is not as easy as you make it out to be. i do highly recommend that you go to school. but having your own business is going to be tough and it is not going to be a 40 hour job. i know my dad had a hard time starting from scratch coming to america. but hell, if he can do it. i don't see why anyone else cant. he can barely speak/comprehend english. he work hard day in and day out. from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. he opened up his own restaurant and lives a pretty decent life. i think anyone can open there own business, it just depend on the owner's drive and motivation.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shortest path to what you want is a 4 year degree in a "hard skill" area like engineering, accounting, actuarial science,etc or any other field of study that teaches you to do something essential/always in demand. If that is not for you consider some sort of technical education that will get you working upon completion. Be prepared to fullfill your wishes of somewhat more normal work and hours, but not make as much as you do now right away.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by NA1NSXR
The shortest path to what you want is a 4 year degree in a "hard skill" area like engineering, accounting, actuarial science,etc or any other field of study that teaches you to do something essential/always in demand. If that is not for you consider some sort of technical education that will get you working upon completion. Be prepared to fullfill your wishes of somewhat more normal work and hours, but not make as much as you do now right away.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this and any other person that thinks the shortest path to $60k a year is college. It may be the most secure. If you know you want to start a business and you truly have a good idea and are passionate about it, then start the business. This will take long hard hours in the beginning but if you do it right, you could work 40-50hour weeks and make a lit more than $60k.

Now my warning; If you don't think you could stand up to college or you aren't ready to give your everything then dont start a business! The reason about 80% of businesses fail in the first year and furthermore 80% of those left fail within 5 years is mainly due to the kinds of people that just start a business on a whim with little or no education. Being real, that puts you squarely in that category. However I don't know you or your education but chances are you fit that bill. There are outliers to every rule as aanother member has already stated and only you know if you can do what it takes.

What's your business idea?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:29 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GoOn3
I whole handedly disagree with this and any other person that thinks the shortest path to $60k a year is college. It may be the most secure. If you know you want to start a business and you truly have a good idea and are passionate about it, then start the business. This will take long hard hours in the beginning but if you do it right, you could work 40-50hour weeks and make a lit more than $60k.

Now my warning; If you don't think you could stand up to college or you aren't ready to give your everything then dont start a business! The reason about 80% of businesses fail in the first year and furthermore 80% of those left fail within 5 years is mainly due to the kinds of people that just start a business on a whim with little or no education. Being real, that puts you squarely in that category. However I don't know you or your education but chances are you fit that bill. There are outliers to every rule as aanother member has already stated and only you know if you can do what it takes.

sorry but certain 4 year degrees are gr8 for income and future business experience. I am personally an accounting major. Accounting will get you a $60-$65k/year salary within the first 1-2 years. After that it is realistic to get to $100k in about 5 years. The upper potential is there & job security is pretty good, depending on where you live of course.

Also accounting is one of the most useful degrees for future/current business owners. I handle all of my accounting for my businesses. I have a CPA but she's more on an advisory role than anything else. The more people you let handle your money the more likely it is someone is stealing from you.

also you can lower your hours down to 40-50, but than your probably making a lot less as well. I hvn't met too many successful business men who work 40 hours a week and still make a lot of $. Ive only seen people lower their hours b.c of sickness or retirement. Still work near 40 tho.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by GoOn3' timestamp='1349155461' post='22051771
I whole handedly disagree with this and any other person that thinks the shortest path to $60k a year is college. It may be the most secure. If you know you want to start a business and you truly have a good idea and are passionate about it, then start the business. This will take long hard hours in the beginning but if you do it right, you could work 40-50hour weeks and make a lit more than $60k.

sorry but certain 4 year degrees are gr8 for income and future business experience. I am personally an accounting major. Accounting will get you a $60-$65k/year salary within the first 1-2 years. After that it is realistic to get to $100k in about 5 years. The upper potential is there & job security is pretty good, depending on where you live of course.

Also accounting is one of the most useful degrees for future/current business owners. I handle all of my accounting for my businesses. I have a CPA but she's more on an advisory role than anything else. The more people you let handle your money the more likely it is someone is stealing from you.

also you can lower your hours down to 40-50, but than your probably making a lot less as well. I hvn't met too many successful business men who work 40 hours a week and still make a lot of $. Ive only seen people lower their hours b.c of sickness or retirement. Still work near 40 tho.
I dont know who has been hyping you but $45-$50k is average for your location, NY city(which is above average of $44k / year for an accountant in the US). I know personally, 3 different accounting and financial analysis professionals in NY city that dont make your asserted amounts and have been in the industry for 3-5 years. The only way to make money being an accountant is to have a firm and do consulting or really that is it, as even decent sized CPAs dont make big money! Yes they can, and often do, make over $100K with their own businesses but accounting as a job at any large corporation is fairly capped out under the $85k/ year mark unless you start talking executive positions relating to financials. At that point you are no longer an accountant! Either way.... accounting will bring much work and heartache for what is in reality a small return on the investment of collage! I do however wish you luck in your college career and your work thereafter.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:12 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GoOn3
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1349180941' post='22052103
[quote name='GoOn3' timestamp='1349155461' post='22051771']

I dont know who has been hyping you but $45-$50k is average for your location, NY city(which is above average of $44k / year for an accountant in the US). I know personally, 3 different accounting and financial analysis professionals in NY city that dont make your asserted amounts and have been in the industry for 3-5 years. The only way to make money being an accountant is to have a firm and do consulting or really that is it, as even decent sized CPA's dont make big money! Yes they can, and often do, make over $100K with their own businesses but accounting as a job at any large corporation is fairly capped out under the $85k/ year mark unless you start talking executive positions relating to financials. At that point you are no longer an accountant! Either way.... accounting will bring much work and heartache for what is in reality a small return on the investment of collage! I do however wish you luck in your college career and your work thereafter.
[/quote]

Im using my accounting major in my business. My businesses are already established and running.

I speak from experience. Im a accounting major my self and am very aware of what the accounting field right now. I have many friends out of local NY schools @ the Big 4. Most of them got hired between $50-$60k. All of them were offered $5,000 pay bump if they pass the CPA exam within a year. Yes the 5 year plan normally is that you go into industry or do your own thing. But i have a few friends who were promoted to manager within 5-6 years. I believe it was roughly $130k for advisory, $110-$115k for audit and tax.

So im sorry i dont understand the heartache or small ROI your talking about. i don't know any other 5 year degree that can net you $60k starting and potential to make $100-$150k within 5-6 years. Also accounting isn't as big of a ranking slave like med school or law school. You can get Big 4 out of state schools. Most of my friends went to Baruch ($5k/year tuition)
Old 10-06-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your local universities and meet with an advisor to discuss some of your options. They will be able to help you figure out what would work for you.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:06 AM

Sooooo i totally forgot i posted

What ended up happening to me is shortly after i posted this. Maybe a week. I decided i was going to work my hardest and run my a$$ off at my job till i showed them i deserve a spot on day shift. No matter how long it took. Well about 2 weeks after i decided that i lost 20lbs, to give you an idea on how hard i was working. And a couple days after that ended up tearing my rotator cuff and i dislocated my bicept tendon. Because i told my manager i had to go get my shoulder checked out because i couldnt move it.

So long story short. Im going to be off work for another 6 weeks because i had to get surgery. And i got to tell you ive never wanted to go back to work as bad as right now. But atleast im still getting paid thru lni to pay my bills.

And by the time im back to full duty work ill have my spot on day shift... I didnt want to get my spot like this. But ill take what i can get
Old 02-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Graveyard shift doing what?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:38 PM

Sounds like you are a hitman. Good luck enjoy the day shifts.

Quick Reply: 22y.o. and need some direction