Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

22y.o. and need some direction

Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

learn a trade, e.g welding, plumbing, pipefitting, steamfitting, electrician, carpentry, boiler operator, CAD drafting, etc. There is money to be made without a degree. However, there is no money to be made without hard work and skill.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billios996
learn a trade, e.g welding, plumbing, pipefitting, steamfitting, electrician, carpentry, boiler operator, CAD drafting, etc. There is money to be made without a degree. However, there is no money to be made without hard work and skill.
Finally! All this degree and school talk was starting to make me a little nauseated . Especially with some of the gentleman, and their somewhat self-proclaimed "smarts". Sorry guys, but starting sentences with "but" & "and", the run on sentences, mis-spelled words ect are something that possibly could have been proof read before hitting send? By no means trying to throw fuel on a fire, but i wouldn't be proclaiming "greatness" with so many mistakes?? This coming from a dumb concrete finisher .

Next, I really liked this billios suggestion. Since when did this world strictly become school oriented? To be successful nowadays means thousands spent on schooling? I grew up in a middle class household and a father who was a carpenter/concrete finisher, and couldn't disagree more with that assumption. Now, i'm not trying to confess being a perfectionist, looking at some of my posts and the mistakes i speak of above are proof of just that . However, even with the fluctuation of the economy, i've managed to stay busy, work hard, have short and long term goals, and i've done decent. <-- Not to be confused with successful.

I was taught at a very young age, to learn a trade. My choice was concrete, the apple in fact does not fall far from the tree. While i have had time off, lay offs, and more, i've managed to stay comfortably affloat. I now have joined a union for cement masons, and pay is enough to take care of my family (girlfriend and 5yo princess). All while still being able to afford projects, toys, and a little more. Average pay is about $60-$70k a year, and i earn every penny.

I think the OP was reaching out for a little help, and even being a "realist" myself, atleast this younger fellow is eager to find his way, which isn't all that common nowadays with our youth. So maybe we can try something different, and bring encouragement? Good job OP, although i don't know you, you seem like you are trying to get on the right track or better track for that matter. I'll go now, because if you look at any of my posts, i do have one problem... Talking too much haha. Good luck to you OP and as my father always taught me, "I don't care if you're cleaning toilets, or being the president, do your best and good things will follow". That is all... For now
Old 03-06-2013, 05:31 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Follow what makes you happy. Look in the classifieds for a job. Do you like working with your hands? Do you feel you're a good salesman? Choose something that is fun for you and the rest will come brudda mon.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:12 AM

Well said, younglegit
There are too many kids going to college and coming out with worthless degrees. All that has been accomplished is wasting time and money, with no payback on the educational investment. If you do truly desire going to college, my recommendation is getting a job with a company that will pay for your education and provide a growth path within the company. Skip the classifieds, open the paper to the stock pages. Your newspaper may have a stock listing of locally based corporations so you can target your search.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:09 AM

I put myself through a state university and lived at home and received a Computer Information Systems degree from UNH. Worked a full time Systems Admin for a hospitality company and 25-30 hours a week at Best Buy for the Geek Squad.

Not going to lie life sucked through college but now once I graduated I was offered a cushy job making 80k a year, now at 25 I'm making sub 100k after bonus at the same job... It's certainly not a rewarding job nor is it all that interesting but the pay is great if you're motivated. If I didn't have expensive hobbies I'd probably opt to do something I enjoy a bit more, however I can put up with working a job where the pay is great if I can have fun the 128 hours I'm not working. That's my $.02 make the money so you can do what you love (unless you can love your job)
Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by billios996
There are too many kids going to college and coming out with worthless degrees. All that has been accomplished is wasting time and money, with no payback on the educational investment.
You're right about the worthless degrees. But the answer isn't skipping college (good luck getting a non-trade job without it). The answer is kids need to stop picking freaking BS majors. Go with a science, math, business; etc. Something that actually makes you employable & teaches you something.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 AM

I assume you mean BS=bull sh!t rather than BS=bachelor of science

There are tons of articles online about college payback/ROI. The moral of the story is, get the education with the best income potential (engineering, etc) at the best price (state school, or lots of grants/scholarships at private/Ivy league). Avoid liberal arts degrees (low income potential) unless you plan to parlay into law school.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank god I have a BS from a UC...
Old 04-06-2013, 04:15 PM

I was the same way, then I went to college and got my degree in Finance and hated being behind a desk. Now I work 80 hours a week but get 2 months of vacation and make twice as much. Some days are easy, some days I'm swinging a sledge hammer and carrying iron. But I'm the type of guy that isn't good in relationships and never wants kids. I travel tons with my job now, and just got a sick S yesterday with cash because of the job