Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Active duty service member trying to get out of debt.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active duty service member trying to get out of debt.

Hey guys, this is my first time posting in here but I'm 25 and am looking to consolidate my debt while improving my score.
I'm active Duty navy (MA a little over 4 years) and have a few loans through Navy federal. my situation is I want to consolidate my debt and finish my car by the time I get married (Feb 2016). When I turned 18 I opened credit cards with no job and rang them up and never paid them until recently. Im am currently getting Creditrepair.com to send inquiries and challenge the credit companies to drop them and improve my credit. Creditrepair.com service is $90 per month
Here is a list of my monthly bill expenses and interest rates for the loans.
Nave Federal VA Home Loan- $129,730 (3.375% interest) $766 per month
Navy Fed Personal loan- $8,000 (17.75% interest) $232 per month
Navy Fed vehicle loan (07 TL)- $12,000 (7.24% interest) $206 per month
Navy fed Credit card- $6310 (owed, limit is $8k) (16.65% interest) $200 per month
I estimate it will take about another $6-7k to finish my car.

I got in way over my head with the loans and such a couple years ago when my credit was really, REALLY bad.. Now its improving and I have a 686 score.

Any help, tips, suggestions or options from some wiser people? I know I messed up but I realize it and I am trying to get it all corrected..
Old 08-02-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

$2580 -- E5 over 4
$667 -- BAH/BAQ
$367 -- BAS
$3614 per month

Even with taxes on base pay you seem to have plenty to pay those bills.

$14,000 in credit card/personal loans is just stupid. (Sorry, but that's it.) Shred your credit card. Stop paying minimum payments.

I'd ignore finishing that car until everything but the home mortgage is paid off. It's not a prioirty whatsoever.

-- Chuck
Old 08-02-2015, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
$2580 -- E5 over 4
$667 -- BAH/BAQ
$367 -- BAS
$3614 per month

Even with taxes on base pay you seem to have plenty to pay those bills.

$14,000 in credit card/personal loans is just stupid. (Sorry, but that's it.) Shred your credit card. Stop paying minimum payments.

I'd ignore finishing that car until everything but the home mortgage is paid off. It's not a prioirty whatsoever.

-- Chuck
Trust me Im fully aware how stupid those mistakes were.. I wish I could find a loan big enough to pay it all off at once and have a little left over o finish the car.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

refi your personal CC/Loan. Those interest rates are insane. Screw fixing the car. Pay off these loans as quick as you can. You are paying crazy high rates.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
refi your personal CC/Loan. Those interest rates are insane. Screw fixing the car. Pay off these loans as quick as you can. You are paying crazy high rates.
Waiting for a few things to fall of my credit report and when they do and my score goes up, ill refinance for sure.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Satansedan,

There was a guy who was in relatively worse shape than you, but the whole forum gave him a shload of advice. You can check out that thread here.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

find a unit going on deployment, may be the quickest way out. combat or MEU would be nice.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:41 AM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts

UT- I was thinking the same Chris thread.

OP- If you have a car and house already, it's likely that the big purchases that are impacted most by your credit score are out of the way for now. Unless you're planning on taking on ANOTHER loan in the coming months, the long term continued improvement of your credit score might be good enough than paying a service that might increase it. Saying that:

You're wasting $90 a month that could go towards one of the loans.
You should freeze the other 6-7K of car work you're doing (unless it's a requirement to get the car drivable, AND it's your only mode of transportation).
There's probably little value in prepaying the car loan you have.
There's plenty of long term value in prepaying your mortgage, however, not until you're out of the debt situation you're in.
You should consider attacking the other loans either by highest interest (you'll save the most) OR by the smallest amount owed (the satisfaction of eliminating a loan and having an achievable goal).

Good Luck. Most important, you have to stop spending and not increase what you owe. If you keep spending on discretionary items, you're battle becomes that much tougher.

G
Old 08-16-2015, 07:40 PM

Not what you want to hear, but sell the car and buy a $500 beater to get you through the time. Follow Dave Ramseys baby steps, and put a budget together so you can follow exactly where your money goes.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrbadwrench
Not what you want to hear, but sell the car and buy a $500 beater to get you through the time. Follow Dave Ramseys baby steps, and put a budget together so you can follow exactly where your money goes.
^This.

My opinion on debt consolidation is a "hard reset." You have interest coming, every month, and a LOT of it. Drop anything you have that is not necessary and has a good amount of equity in it. If you don't have a lot of equity in your car, you should still consider buying a crap car and selling your current car to get out from under the loan (you will likely still have to put up some cash).

Trust me, it seems like a lot of work but this will be the FASTEST way to get back to your higher standard of living/lifestyle by being poor/cheap for a little while. People that try to "eek" their current lifestyle and make small changes like "I wont go out to eat anymore" or "i wont go to the movies anymore" are just freaking kidding themselves. It works, but it takes FOREVER and a lot of willpower to not do those things for a REALLY LONG TIME... that's where most people fail.

Drop the credit repair crap. Those places (almost literally ALL of them) are well-known to be straight scams. The people who get on board with them have very poor knowledge of finances and think that they can buy people's time and a "low price" that will "pay for itself." Wrong. They're feeding on your ignorance and laughing. Your credit score will improve if you.... surprise surprise... GET OUT OF DEBT or at least LOWER it.

With what you're making, you wouldn't have to go very long living cheap and with a crap car. You could be back in something nice in a short amount of time.

Quick Reply: Active duty service member trying to get out of debt.