Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

AMD WTF?

Old 12-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EJO,Dec 14 2006, 03:58 PM
I have owned AMD for 21 years and don't know why I keep holding on to it. They seem to have a better business plan and better products, IMO, than Intel but just don't get the same respect from the chip market that Intel gets.
Really.....? Over the past 5 years or so, AMD swallowed up a good deal of Intel's customer base, including the gamer market. Even now, laptops are taking a bite out of their share. Personally, after getting my hands on the first Athlon, Ive never gone back to Pentium chips. I would say even now, the marketshare is 60% vs /40% in Intel's favor.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it has to do with the perception of the market. If the market feels that the BoA rating is too conservative, investors will jump all over it.

I would have to look at their financials to see what AMD's fixed assets are. Sometimes stock price surges can be due to unbalanced equity / asset accounts. If a company has large amounts of physical capital (fixed asset such as plants etc) as well as a large amount of debt, the assets will be much larger than the company's equity. Some companies rate companies strictly based on equity performance, which is great in a bull market, but can be misleading during a bear market (tech stocks still are not where they were pre-2001.....NASDAQ is my measure for this).

Dave - I think now that Intel has their hands in Apple's pocket, I think AMD may have a harder time than anyone expected. I think Intel will eventually pretty much take over the PC market, while AMD will move more towards professional processing (visual / audio processors for niche users such as record companies and production studios), but I have heard that Intel has a Quad-Core chip that is still being refined for the hardcore applications. The real problem I have seen with this approach is the programs must be designed to run on multiple chips, and most are currently not.

Quad Core Overview

John