Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Any suggestions for my portfolio?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any suggestions for my portfolio?

As a young investor, I have a small portfolio that I am working on expanding slowly but surely.

In addition to my 401k through work, I currently own the following (pretty much equal amount in each)

Apple
General Electric
Birkshire Hathwaway (B)
SPY

I just sold an under performing small stock that I took a risk on. Sold Ford and BP in the past.

Everything I own currently is up nicely. I am looking to put about $1000.00 into a new stock with a good dividend payout. Any suggestions from the more seasoned investors out there? I was looking into Johnson & Johnson, or AT&T so far?
Old 01-22-2012, 01:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great to hear you putting some money to work! Take a look at McDonalds and RPM as well. I hold Apple, GE. BRK B as well. MCD has been powering for a few years now and will remain hot in the near future. RPM has raised dividends for the past 20 years plus. They own a ton of esoteric companies like Rust-oleum.

Utah

P.S. If you are looking for a non dividend payer look at ISRG. They make the DaVinci robotic surgical system. They dropped about 10 percent as they missed growth for the fourth quarter. Only grew 25+ percent. If you are a Peter Lynch student this company is perfect. No debt, revenue growth, sales growth, and an entry moat few will be able to cross. Let alone HUGEcash reserves. Look for them to buy out MAKO surgical soon. Dividends are a year or two out.....but coming. PE was 38 which is double average....but worth it. I live this stock and have already banked 50k towards my daughters 529 plan
Old 01-22-2012, 07:16 PM

Thank you for the great response. I will look into RPM and ISRG.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 AM

Check out CSX as well. Dividend plus huge upside if/when our economy ever makes a push toward recovery.
I'm not in it (yet) but I'm leaning heavily toward moving some money in there.

FWIW -- I have bought into CSX
Old 02-03-2012, 11:20 AM

Hey man,

Good call on wanting a solid dividend stock. I've actually changed my whole approach to investing in the last year based on solid dividend stocks. I basically look for the 'dividend champions', companies with 25+ years of straight dividends, or companies that have been incresing for a long time with a high % increase each year. Some I may recommend would be PEP or KO, CVX, INTC, MDT, and even AGNC (crazy 19% yield lol). All of the aforementioned stocks are great, too. I've had a great experience with dividend stocks so far, I was actually looking for a topic on this forum with like-minded people. I'm interested in where this topic will go.

Also, for my financial statement analysis class my group is analysing railroads currently, and CSX is one of my assigned stocks. I'll let you know if I see anything interesting about it haha
Old 02-04-2012, 09:53 AM

Thanks!