Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Bank of America - Sell or Hold

Old 09-28-2007, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bank of America - Sell or Hold

What are your opinions for the future of BAC, with earnings coming out soon, I think it may show their exposure to the subprime market and may bring it down in the short term.

Should I sell now or hold? If I sell the though was just to wait and see if it does dip and buy back at a lower price. There is so much talk of banks not doing great in the near future, it is about 4 off its all time high so I am thinking sell and wait to see what happens with the earnings report and the economy as a whole.

Thoughts?
Old 09-28-2007, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bac will always be around. its a good stock if u are old, as it pays dividends regularly.

sell bac, buy some aapl.

anyone know if the charts factor in dividends? if not, are there charts that track it alongside the price?
Old 09-28-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have gains or losses on it?
Old 09-28-2007, 03:58 PM

Whether he has any gains are losses has no importance in this question.

All that matters is if the stock is going up or down in the future, and what time span he's concerned with.

BAC is a good bank, and good banks consistently mint money because of the structure of our financial system.

Back in August, it was trading around 47, that's as low as it has got throughout all of this sub prime mess. The 6th month channel is only from 47-51 during these extremely volatile times, and it currently sits around 50 bucks. I'd figure out what the expectations are for BAC, and then do enough research to see if those seem realistic. If you are just looking for a trade, I think BAC will beat expectations or meet them. Either way, it's important to realize there probably won't be some 4 dollar jump on BTE earnings, probably closer to a dollar or 2%. I'd expect the same on slightly worse than expected earnings unless people take it as a signal [if it's atrocious] that the entire economy is weak.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BAC has a strong dividend and that will protect it. You bought it for a reason I'm guessing?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look at the numbers... BAC is one of the most profitable financial institutions in the world. Since it holds such a high percentage of deposits in this country it is limited (by regulation) from some expansion but has found a way to grow in credit and commercial markets. Growth may be slow but earnings and dividends steady.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:18 AM

I have decided to cut my holding in half in favor of investing in the homebuilding sector, thus adding a new facet to my portfolio. It is so beat up right now, I know its not a short term position, but I truly believe that in 2 years when the housing markets kicks back into gear, the returns will be there.

Sorry forgot to add I am going to purchase some Berkshire Hathaway as well.

I honestly don't have the time to actively manage, so I prefer to be in mutual funds or the like.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2002S2K,Sep 28 2007, 12:23 PM
What are your opinions for the future of BAC, with earnings coming out soon, I think it may show their exposure to the subprime market and may bring it down in the short term.

Should I sell now or hold? If I sell the though was just to wait and see if it does dip and buy back at a lower price. There is so much talk of banks not doing great in the near future, it is about 4 off its all time high so I am thinking sell and wait to see what happens with the earnings report and the economy as a whole.

Thoughts?
I am Biased because I recently purchased some shares at the $48.00 price. So I recommend holding.

Also keep in mind, Berkshire Hathaway has recently been accumulating BAC. I think with the solid dividend and Low P.E. i think there is limited downside risk as.

Of course I am biased but thats my $.02