Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Bitcoin

Old 12-19-2017, 01:45 AM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
I'd avoid it. Technically, there are just better blockchains to hitch your wagon to in terms of long-term viability.

The other thing I have to keep telling myself is that if there's anything really worth doing that involves a blockchain, they'll roll their own.
Agree..

18309$ current value. Last days many ups and downs. Unstable.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
im up huge on ether. IMO there are some great alt coins that will give overall better returns than btc
It's not a question of getting overall better returns.

. . . there's a reason I don't invest in gold: there's not a lot of use for it aside from being a currency marker. Bitcoin, as it stands, is in the same boat. I won't say it's the WORST blockchain EVER, but it's so old, that there are better ones. So, as a resource, it's only function is to server as a currency marker. . . that's backed by other fiat currencies. I remember there used to be these debt notes that were backed by crappy mortgages. . . and some guy was telling me about tulip bulbs. . .

If you want to play the game, then by all means, play the game. However, if you want to invest with a 20+ year horizon. . . find something that has better encryption, easier use, easier network overhead, has a decent base user pool, and is backed by something tangible (or is at least priced to its collateral).
Old 12-24-2017, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd never buy bitcoin. despite the hype about it. it has no real (intrinsic) value. and its acting like a big bubble waiting to burst. since is not backed by anything, it has no limit to the downside as it also has no limit to the upside since people are buying it. However, the new buyers are not believers of bitcoin and are just buying it bcz its going up in value and want to have their share of the profit. once the momentum slows and turn downward all this late demand will reverse into supply and sales orders will emerge dramatically with no new buyers coming to fill the gap. Hence, the price will eventually fall like a rock from a high mountain. Block chain technology is the future, but this doesnt insure bitcoin's survival. once block chain goes mainstream and used in all forms of trade, bitcion will no longer be unique and will lose its artificial value.

On the other hand, Gold is a real asset that is proven to be desired for ages. it has special properties that cannot be replicated. and since the fiat currency world is crumbling through ever increasing debt and money creation.. gold price will eventually shoot back up to new highs. its the best safe heaven asset once you hold it in physical form. no counter party risk. by the gold price going up, this could be the pin that will burst the bitcoin bubble as peter schiff says.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:31 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by suzukablueS2000
I'd never buy bitcoin. despite the hype about it. it has no real (intrinsic) value. and its acting like a big bubble waiting to burst. since is not backed by anything, it has no limit to the downside as it also has no limit to the upside since people are buying it. However, the new buyers are not believers of bitcoin and are just buying it bcz its going up in value and want to have their share of the profit. once the momentum slows and turn downward all this late demand will reverse into supply and sales orders will emerge dramatically with no new buyers coming to fill the gap. Hence, the price will eventually fall like a rock from a high mountain. Block chain technology is the future, but this doesnt insure bitcoin's survival. once block chain goes mainstream and used in all forms of trade, bitcion will no longer be unique and will lose its artificial value.

On the other hand, Gold is a real asset that is proven to be desired for ages. it has special properties that cannot be replicated. and since the fiat currency world is crumbling through ever increasing debt and money creation.. gold price will eventually shoot back up to new highs. its the best safe heaven asset once you hold it in physical form. no counter party risk. by the gold price going up, this could be the pin that will burst the bitcoin bubble as peter schiff says.
Sounds good. And I'll be laughing all the way to the bank with TRON, Ripple, and Verge. BTW you can pay me in a new set of tires when you turn a 200% profit with those 3.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:14 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I joined the party late, but bought in to BTC and LTC on the big dip right before christmas. Im fully aware that its all a gamble, and putting in money that i dont necessarily need. If something happens, awesome. If not, at least i can say i tried...i think i would kick myself if i DIDNT try it.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cpt. Spock
I joined the party late, but bought in to BTC and LTC on the big dip right before christmas. Im fully aware that its all a gamble, and putting in money that i dont necessarily need. If something happens, awesome. If not, at least i can say i tried...i think i would kick myself if i DIDNT try it.
BTC is going to hit an all time high again....once it does that, get out of it and get into some other alt coins (TRON, Ripple, Verge, etc...do some homework). IMO there isn't a TON of future in BTC itself even with a newly revised system to exchange it. But there is absolutely no reason to take a loss on the stuff....never sell at a loss with a market this bullish.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and now Ripple is trading at all time highs.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:01 AM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpt. Spock
Etherium is getting nice values from what i've heard.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:49 PM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
BTC is going to hit an all time high again....once it does that, get out of it and get into some other alt coins (TRON, Ripple, Verge, etc...do some homework). IMO there isn't a TON of future in BTC itself even with a newly revised system to exchange it. But there is absolutely no reason to take a loss on the stuff....never sell at a loss with a market this bullish.
Geoff when you said this it had already been at 19K and was down to 15.5K. Down to 12 and up to 17 and never broke to a new high. Any of those prices would have been good times to get out as it's down to 7,600 ish. Did touch below 7K the other day. Oi!

I get it.......I understand the theory behind it but none of these have anything supporting the currency. It was gold for the dollar years ago now it's the US Economy backing it. These virtual currencies are vaporware! I see the fit for it but I do not see Bitcoin being IT.

Maybe Apple will come out with something that works ONLY on their ApplePay system. They could back the currency, they have so much value / money held around the world they could do it!
Old 02-07-2018, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Pinky
Geoff when you said this it had already been at 19K and was down to 15.5K. Down to 12 and up to 17 and never broke to a new high. Any of those prices would have been good times to get out as it's down to 7,600 ish. Did touch below 7K the other day. Oi!

I get it.......I understand the theory behind it but none of these have anything supporting the currency. It was gold for the dollar years ago now it's the US Economy backing it. These virtual currencies are vaporware! I see the fit for it but I do not see Bitcoin being IT.

Maybe Apple will come out with something that works ONLY on their ApplePay system. They could back the currency, they have so much value / money held around the world they could do it!
Watch.....this has all basically been regulation issues. Bitcoin might not be it because it's basically ancient technology at this point; Verge, Ripple, TRON, METAL, etc theres tons of other ones. The market is set to hit 2 trillion this year, nothing else I need to say. This is basically like black friday for crypto thanks to China/Korea, but what these regulations do in other countries is legitimize the whole thing. I think people should not only be excited about what kind of profits they could see (albeit at a big risk) but more so the technology that is going to drive TONS of products and services in the future. Decentralization is going to happen whether we like it or not, may as well get on the train.

Quick Reply: Bitcoin