Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

In debt - looking to get out of it

Old 07-03-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

Side benefit of more work.... less time to spend money.

Good Luck!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

True lol !
Old 07-03-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part out your car to help pay off the bills if you haven't done so already.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Limit yourself to only spend $100 a week, anything else is considered something to save for
Old 07-04-2013, 03:28 AM

Dude you got to go into what I call hermit mode. My work is very unpredictable so I often go a few months with no work, and when I first started I was in about the same amount of debt as you. The thought of having the debt hanging over my head was a mental burden every damn day, to the point I would feel guilty for spending any money at all even on necessities. So I went full hermit, I literally sold every single possession I owned, aside from my clothes, toiletries, and a single set of dishes. No joke, I even sold my bed! I slept on the floor with no bed, not even a pillow, I used rolled up bath towel. I took it as an opportunity to improve myself, I really focused on improving everything I could that would be free, so that was pretty much prison style, just physical fitness and education. I made a budget of $25 a week to eat ALL meals, you'd be surprised how far that can get you from the grocery store even healthy items. And Aside from my phone bill which I needed for potential employers to be able to call me on and my rent, all, I repeat ALL of my money went to paying off my debt. I paid it off in six months, now while it wasn't super fun, it def calibrated my priorities and also my judgement on how much some things are worth. It's amazing what you can do without, even now when people come over to my place they always ask me "Did you just move in?" my response is "No been here 6 yrs, just don't have anything unnecessary."

Now I'm not suggesting you go to that extreme, it makes social life kind of difficult, but you can def cut some things out no matter how frugal you may think you're being. If it's not absolutely necessary then cut it! Oh and btw it's a great way to see if your girl will really stand by you through the tough times, mine took it in stride which honestly surprised me, I thought for sure she would leave me, but it didn't even phase her.

hope this helps
Old 07-04-2013, 05:12 AM

Received 1,107 Likes on 988 Posts

What is your actual credit card debt?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:36 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hkspowers
Dude you got to go into what I call hermit mode. My work is very unpredictable so I often go a few months with no work, and when I first started I was in about the same amount of debt as you. The thought of having the debt hanging over my head was a mental burden every damn day, to the point I would feel guilty for spending any money at all even on necessities. So I went full hermit, I literally sold every single possession I owned, aside from my clothes, toiletries, and a single set of dishes. No joke, I even sold my bed! I slept on the floor with no bed, not even a pillow, I used rolled up bath towel. I took it as an opportunity to improve myself, I really focused on improving everything I could that would be free, so that was pretty much prison style, just physical fitness and education. I made a budget of $25 a week to eat ALL meals, you'd be surprised how far that can get you from the grocery store even healthy items. And Aside from my phone bill which I needed for potential employers to be able to call me on and my rent, all, I repeat ALL of my money went to paying off my debt. I paid it off in six months, now while it wasn't super fun, it def calibrated my priorities and also my judgement on how much some things are worth. It's amazing what you can do without, even now when people come over to my place they always ask me "Did you just move in?" my response is "No been here 6 yrs, just don't have anything unnecessary."

Now I'm not suggesting you go to that extreme, it makes social life kind of difficult, but you can def cut some things out no matter how frugal you may think you're being. If it's not absolutely necessary then cut it! Oh and btw it's a great way to see if your girl will really stand by you through the tough times, mine took it in stride which honestly surprised me, I thought for sure she would leave me, but it didn't even phase her.

hope this helps
Damn. That's extreme, I respect you for doing what you knew you had to do. Op you have to do some sort of crackdown dude before its too late
Old 07-04-2013, 04:45 PM

roll all debt into 1 loan if you can to lower interest. get rid of your credit cards. dont bring your debit card out with you. only bring a limited amount of cash out with you. i find it easy to spend absurds amount of money on things i probably don't need if im throwin' it on the plastic.

or move out of the city lol
Old 07-05-2013, 05:28 AM

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

At zdave it is approximately $12.5K....
Old 07-05-2013, 09:14 AM

Controlling yourself on spending is the key. Not sure if that is the case, but seems like you are dining out a lot.

Start working on one habit at a time. For example eating out can be eliminated and this is where you will see the saving immediately after a short while. Start making breakfast at home, bring lunch to work, and eat at home for dinner. Your girlfriend should be understandable about your situation if you explain to her what you are working on.

Next thing you should work on would be your spending habits with unnecessary items, IE, clothing, shoes, watches, gifts to the gf, etc...

Just think before you spend even a dollar on anything.

GL

Quick Reply: In debt - looking to get out of it