Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Does anybody trade stocks for a living?

Old 08-26-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anybody trade stocks for a living?

Does anybody trade stocks for a living here by yourself? Like at home?

Or does anybody have any good idea for working at home? or by yourself? Have around 50k for startup.

Any good products for eBay?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:30 AM

wow, I would lock your money up quick before you go make a crazy decision like deciding to "trade stocks for a living" with that money. Otherwise it could disappear overnight in this market.

http://www.score.org/

also has links to SBA - small business assoc

Do plenty of research before you blow your wad.

Figure out something you are good at, like to do, a hobby, sport, trade, etc and research ways to make money with it.

Ebay is way over saturated at this point, waste of time unless you can find a product only you have and no one else can get. Otherwise it becomes a rat race and who can sell it for the smallest profit.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:28 AM

^^^^Dude, you beat me to it.

OP: I agree with SD_s2k, find something you are good at and research a way to make money off of it. I was good at weight lifting and enjoyed going to the club. One day I decided to work at the gym, for the free membership, and ended up as a personal trainer. After two years working for the gym I decided to start my own Personal Training business. Anyways, just my .02
Old 08-29-2007, 10:53 AM

I traded as my summer job for 2 years during university, but your paycheck will be very very unpredictable. I will do it again in retirement, or if i'm ever a fund manager
bad market right now to start a career like day trading lol...

but it's definately do-able if you have the knowledge and skill. The thing most people don't realize is that daytrading comes down to emotion and every millisecond makes a difference. If you just quit your dayjob, and want to start making money daytrading, you will be full of emotion because you NEED to make $ to survive, and you will make many many mistakes from impulse buys and sells.

if you are really looking to do this, start reading and increasing knowledge on the career, and then being investing when the market finds bottom. just my .02
Old 09-10-2007, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in the late '90s, I seriously considered quitting my job to focus on trading, since I was making more money doing it than my salary. Reality hit around '00-'01, and in retrospect it would have been a really bad move.

There are plenty of opportunities to make money in all markets, but admittedly I do a lot better in bull markets.

If you're going to do a startup, instead of soliciting others' ideas, I'd lean towards something (a) you're passionate about; (b) you have or are willing to do what it takes to acquire the skills/knowledge in; and
Old 09-10-2007, 06:36 AM

[QUOTE=Chris S,Sep 10 2007, 06:22 AM] Back in the late '90s, I seriously considered quitting my job to focus on trading, since I was making more money doing it than my salary. Reality hit around '00-'01, and in retrospect it would have been a really bad move.

There are plenty of opportunities to make money in all markets, but admittedly I do a lot better in bull markets.

If you're going to do a startup, instead of soliciting others' ideas, I'd lean towards something (a) you're passionate about; (b) you have or are willing to do what it takes to acquire the skills/knowledge in; and
Old 09-13-2007, 03:10 AM

I have about 100-150 (haven't done a full inventory) traffic lights that I'm trying to sell ahaha I put one on ebay to 'test the waters' it sold for $167

Whatever decision you make make it an informed one! good luck
Old 09-13-2007, 06:04 AM

traffic lights! Interesting lol.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:48 AM

traffic lights??? more than 150 in cost?
Old 09-21-2007, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by erliuic,Sep 21 2007, 03:48 AM
traffic lights??? more than 150 in cost?
Free, as long as you don't get caught! (not that I would ever do or condone that)

Quick Reply: Does anybody trade stocks for a living?