Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Film industry and blackberry

Old 02-16-2013, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Film industry and blackberry

So I've been watching a lot of Bloomberg HD and doing some research and heard a story in there that interested me. 3 years ago, someone invested 20k into Lionsgate, the people who made the Hunger Games Movie, and two years later, after the movie came out, he wounded up with 2 million. Stocks went from 6 to 18 i believe. Now, the series has two more books left, so my question is, would it be a smart movie to jump on the bandwagon now seeing that there is potential for the stock to continue to climb?

Same situation with Blackberry. Their new phone is coming out, but has not reached the states yet. Had a drastic increase in stock in a few months, and they are saying it's potential for RIMM's stock to reach around $45 a share.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:05 AM

First off, $20k invested at $6/share three years ago would be worth $60k today at $18/sh.
Triple the value.

I have no idea where you got $2,000,000 from, maybe they were talking about the Hollywood Stock Exchange which is a fantasy stock trading game having to do with movie releases. Not real money.

Second, "The Hunger Games" sequels represent 2 projects in an amazingly diverse and busy independent film company. Your research should include going to http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/ and looking up Lionsgate to see what else they're buying (including intellectual properties, video catalogs, and even the other companies they're acquiring). Look at their whole future, not just 2 projects.

Lionsgate makes tons of cash. But they spend it, too. Do more research.
I happen to think it's a great investment, but don't set your sights at retiring off it...
Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 AM

I by far am no genius at stocks but back when blackberry was still competitive I purchased them at around 36 and saw it reach over 80 but sold somewhere in 70. I haven't seen them reach so high in a long time. The only reason I even bothered with them was because back then they were still strong in business.

That is no longer the case. I am currently testing a Windows Phone for my employer and we have been trying to get away from the RIM end for some time now. This next device can make or break them. I was a huge fan of the Blackberry devices because of their durability and ease of use but now again .. that is no longer the case. They will need to prove something big with this new device since you also need to buy a new BES setup to support. Something my employer is not even thinking of doing.

There is also growing competition from other makes and more so from Microsoft with their WP8 that seems to be a great business tool with Office Mobile. IMHO, I wouldn't jump on their bandwagon just yet.