Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Financing through dealer

Old 09-25-2008, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Financing through dealer

I've never financed a car through the dealer. What should I be worried about if I decide to go this route? I figured that since this was the Money section it would be more appropriate here than other sections. Thanks in advance
Old 09-25-2008, 02:24 PM

Why not? Sometimes dealers have the best rates (e.g. if they have special financing like 1.9% or whatever). I say get quotes from a couple of places you trust and then go to the dealership and have them try and beat them. There are pretty strict regulations on car loans so they really can't screw you....the loan papers are alll standard.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:35 PM

True. Theres a couple credit unions I'm going to check out too. I guess it's good to shop around with loans too...
Old 09-25-2008, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with financing it through a dealer as long as you get a good rate.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by detonator2x,Sep 25 2008, 04:35 PM
True. Theres a couple credit unions I'm going to check out too. I guess it's good to shop around with loans too...
credit unions can often have the best rates, especially if you are looking at longer term financing. it doesn't hurt to see what the dealer offers, and then present them with the rate/term you found elsewhere to see if they'll match or do better.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:05 PM

I would shop around at a few credit unions and then see what the dealer can offer you. Honda was offering 1.9% when I bought my civic and no credit union can match that so getting financing through honda through the dealer was a great thing for me. When I got my S2000, I went through a local credit union and got a rate the dealer said they couldn't get close to matching so it really varies. It's probably worth spending a little time doing some research before you start looking.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:37 AM

Well, I'm not getting a brand new one so I doubt I'll be getting 1.9 anywhere. I wonder if there are any other places I'm not thinking of. Thanks for the replies
Old 09-26-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm in the car business. Credit unions have the best rates almost always (as long as the credits good). But a dealer would want to do what they can to secure a loan for you, so check the CU's first and then compare them at the dealership. Also if you can, check your credit, or have a CU check it and see if they can tell you your credit score. That will help you know around what "credit score tier" you'll be around.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCracker82,Sep 26 2008, 07:52 AM
I'm in the car business. Credit unions have the best rates almost always (as long as the credits good). But a dealer would want to do what they can to secure a loan for you, so check the CU's first and then compare them at the dealership. Also if you can, check your credit, or have a CU check it and see if they can tell you your credit score. That will help you know around what "credit score tier" you'll be around.
How would knowing my credit score help me get a better interest rate? This is all kinda new to me.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:20 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

credit score just helps you know what interest rates correspond to your score level.

If you don't run your credit and you just apply for an auto loan at a CU then at least you'll know a "round-about" area that a dealer would be at, and hey if a dealer can't match the rate then you have the CU to fall back on

Quick Reply: Financing through dealer