Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

GMAT or private university for Masters?

Old 03-27-2014, 12:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GMAT or private university for Masters?

Hello guys and girls,

I graduated last year with Honors in Management Science (basically economics) degree and I am having a hard time finding a financial / data analyst position in Northern California. So right now I am turning into getting a Master of Accountancy degree in hope to open up more doors in this competitive economy since accounting degree is on high demand, as always.

So I am debating if I should take the GMAT or just go to a private institution instead. I got into a top UC straight out of high school but I really hate standardized tests and to study for GMAT really discourages me. So I am looking into private university such as Golden Gate University to get my Master of Accountancy.

The only problem is obvious, money. The program at GGU consists of 36 units of graduate coursework beyond the 9 units of foundation courses. A 3 unit graduate class would cost $2,610 and a 3 unit foundation would cost $1,800. So in total we'd be looking at $40,000 for the degree.

Has anyone gone through similar situations before? It would be helpful to shed some lights because I am pretty frustrated about finding a proper career oriented job. I have been looking for almost four months now and had a few interviews. Should I just keep looking?

Thanks everyone!

Edited: I do reckon the lack of my success is probably due to my lack of interview experience...I do get interviews but they aren't working in my favour
Old 03-27-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

IMO more education and more debt won't solve anything for you. Do you even want to be an accountant?
Studying for the GMAT isn't hard. It's simple math. But i wouldn't take it until you aren't ready for an MBA. You won't be ready for an MBA until you have a couple years of experience at least.

Honestly the best way to land a job, is to consult. Especially coming right out of college with good grades, all you need to do is network. You'd be surprised how much networking opens doors. Its easier for a company to hire you when you are recommended by one of their employees than to wade through 1000s of applications