Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

If your girlfriend of 5 years were $5,500 in credit card debt.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All pretty good advice.

But only one thing is 100% sure... Time will tell if you made a good decision which ever you make.

Good luck
Old 06-07-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluemetals2k
We lived together 4 outa the 5 years. She moved 45 minutes out/away to be closer to her full time job, horse, and teaching lessons. We got along well enough although I do love my quiet time lol.
What kind of horse?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by magician
Originally Posted by bluemetals2k' timestamp='1370553283' post='22591654
We lived together 4 outa the 5 years. She moved 45 minutes out/away to be closer to her full time job, horse, and teaching lessons. We got along well enough although I do love my quiet time lol.
What kind of horse?
3/4 thoroughbred 1/4 paint but he is registered in the American paint horse breed association...copied directly from her text reply haha...i know its brown thats about it lol
Old 06-07-2013, 03:13 PM

In some countries horse meat goes for $20 per pound...

just sayin'....

Old 06-10-2013, 06:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Not Sure
In some countries horse meat goes for $20 per pound...

just sayin'....

problem solved!
Old 06-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Banned

put it in writing that if she doesnt pay you back that her own horse will go to a butcher shop lol horses weigh about 1000 lbs depending on breed so thats a lot of beef lol
Old 06-10-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I will go against the sound advice of others and say hell no. No $cha-ching$ without the wedding ring. I guess I am getting cynical. Are you guys truly committed long term? Nursing school could be stressful for her, in addition to being costly. The 5 grand could pale in comparison to what you inherit getting hitched down the road. You are taking her in to help out- good of you. Where did this debt come from? Supporting a child or medical bills or some unfortunate circumstance? Or was it shoes and designer labels?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rwheelz
I will go against the sound advice of others and say hell no. No $cha-ching$ without the wedding ring. I guess I am getting cynical. Are you guys truly committed long term? Nursing school could be stressful for her, in addition to being costly. The 5 grand could pale in comparison to what you inherit getting hitched down the road. You are taking her in to help out- good of you. Where did this debt come from? Supporting a child or medical bills or some unfortunate circumstance? Or was it shoes and designer labels?
+1 on that. My dental school buddy who seemed like the role model husband and daddy at the time is now going through divorce. Ex is sueing the crap out of him since she help put him through school while raising their kids. His reason for divorce is that he now finds "nothing in common" with her because she is not "educated."

I can't help to be cynical after seeing other buddies going to ugly divorce and some for the 2nd time around. Without being too selfish, have a back up plan for yourself so you don't get "check-mate". Don't ask me how I feel about wedding rings.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tsuyoshi
+1 on that. My dental school buddy who seemed like the role model husband and daddy at the time is now going through divorce. Ex is sueing the crap out of him since she help put him through school while raising their kids. His reason for divorce is that he now finds "nothing in common" with her because she is not "educated."

I can't help to be cynical after seeing other buddies going to ugly divorce and some for the 2nd time around. Without being too selfish, have a back up plan for yourself so you don't get "check-mate". Don't ask me how I feel about wedding rings.
^lol, if I were your buddies ex-wife, for the reason you gave, I would be suing the crap out of him as well. Maybe he should've thought about that before since she didn't become like that overnight.

If you plan on being with her long term, I'd go with clio's advice.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

She accumulated the debt while transitioning between jobs a few years ago using her credit cards for food, bills, horse ezpenses etc. She got word back from the nursing college shes attending and shell be getting 18k + a year between federal loans and grants etc. She has decided to not take my money right now and use the left over money from school to pay the debt off along with her teaching lessons.

Quick Reply: If your girlfriend of 5 years were $5,500 in credit card debt.