Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

If your girlfriend of 5 years were $5,500 in credit card debt.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, if her credit is decent she might be able to consolidate it for a lower interest payment. If It were my girlfriend I might pay off a portion of it in order to allow her to start digging herself out of a hole instead of only paying interest every month.

Also, be careful with studen loan debt, that stuff is relentless. However as a nurse myself I will say its damn near impossible to pay yourself through nursing school, the academic and extra clinical requirements just wont allow you to hold a decent job. My employer in nursing school let me go due to wacky scheduling conflicts.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough situation/ decision.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by bluemetals2k
My girlfriend is $5500 in credit card debt and paying a very high interest payment. Long story short between her other bills, rent, horse, and car insurance she can put maybe $400-$500 dollars a month towards her debt. Shes been hovering around this amount for nearly 2 years now not getting ahead much. Here is the kicker tho, shes going to be losing her full time job soon ($450 a week) and will be going back to school in August for nursing. She does teach horse backiding lessons at night for extra money maybe $150 a week. So she will only be making that a week when she starts school. Shes gonna be gefting around $12k grant money but her schooling is gonna be around that. She will probably have to take school loans out to cover any overage, or to pay me back. I want to help her out and she needs it but I as well as her are worried how she will pay me back back in a timely manor 6-9 months id prefer max. She is moving into my house (I own mortgage free!) In about 2 months her school is nearby and I offered to let her stay free. I know it doesnt sound safe but Id like to help her out. I want your opinions guys!
If you guys aren't legally married, don't touch her debt. You are doing a very nice thing letting her stay at your place rent free.

Do you guys plan on getting married? Is this a serious relationship? My only concern is that once she's done with school, or even if she's not, she can leave anytime.

But I hope this story has a happy ending.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:47 PM

With age will come experience and more maturity in these situations.

You have to look at the fact that you are helping her by letting her stay with you and covering her rent/utilities/internet....etc.

Your ability to pay off her debt speaks a lot for how you handle money. It is important to see how she gets out of this situation on her own. I would not want to marry someone who does not see debt as a negative and continues to accumulate more. I speak from a former ex who I broke up with after college. I found out she purchased a brand new vehicle shortly after and had a lot of school debt already.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:27 PM

5 years yall aint married dont pay. Dump her ass.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Now let's put it all together.

1. Sell horse.
2. Refinance CC debt with a bank note or student loan money so long as she has enough to pay tuition.
3. Cut up CC while in college.
4. Study ass off and pass ever nursing course so she does not have to repeat and drag this crap out.
5. Graduate asap, pass the certification tests, get license, get a job and then resume life.

It's called sacrifice and it never killed anyone.

Of course, if she's smoking hot, do whatever you gotta do.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Now let's put it all together..........

Of course, if she's smoking hot, do whatever you gotta do.
Bill;

Like the way you think...!!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 05:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my girlfriend but even if I was dirt poor I would never borrow money from her. I'd borrow money from family or the bank. I wouldn't want to strain my relationships with money issues.

I also wouldn't lend money, for the exact same reason. Support in other ways, like when you go out pay for the food. Things like that help a lot.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by jst2878
Originally Posted by clio' timestamp='1370481875' post='22589604
If she's a keeper bail her out on condition she cuts up her credit card and reverts to a debit card. Otherwise the same situation will occur.

Establish repayments that are realistic, rather than over committing repayment levels and defaulting.

See whether she can sell anything to assist with funding.

Consider whether another|alternate job is required.

This boy is good....couldn't have said any better. Make sure she is monogamous
Since this is the financial investment section, I will say this is a bad investment. You don't have anything on paper (marriage license) that protects your investment. If you did, then that 5K you put in, will be worth way more when she gets a career and all your combined bills half. Right now you have no guarantee of any return. The rule between my friends was under $200 = friends, over $200 = business.

I am speaking only on the financial benefits that two married people have. I am not factoring any other choices like moving in together before getting a commitment. If you were to also take in account that 5/6 marriages don't make it past 5 years when couples lived together prior, then you're definitely losing money in the divorce.

Solution for you in the least:
Get a written contract for her to pay you back.

Or better yet, do pre-marital counseling to sort out your plans on paper so there are no surprises, and get married.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:45 PM

You each need to take care of your own finances. If you want to mix money, then marry her. If you don't want to marry her, fine - but don't mix money. Dang sure don't make her owe you money, and don't owe her money. That's a fast path to a broken relationship. If you want to give her a financial gift, fine, but don't require repayment. But even that's not a great idea. Like I said, if you want to mix money, marry the girl. If she isn't worth marrying, dump her. Or just date her for a while if that's your plan. But if you need to pay for sex, you can probably find a better prostitute. And that includes giving her a house for sex. For the love of God, marry the girl if you love her and want to pay her bills. Otherwise, friggin' stop it, lol

Quick Reply: If your girlfriend of 5 years were $5,500 in credit card debt.