Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

looking for short term safe investment

Old 12-15-2014, 12:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

perhaps 5% was a little overzealous. I'd be fairly content with > 1%
Old 12-15-2014, 12:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DaGou
Originally Posted by billios996' timestamp='1417803484' post='23428097
my 401k and IRA are all index funds for that purpose. I didn't really consider it for a short term application.

guess that depends, if you had it in for the last five years you probably made a boat load of cash, a great "short term" investment. The next five years we may not see record highs every other week. Everyone expects a market correction after this glorious bull run. Going forward will five years be enough for the market to take its dip and make new highs again? I wish I knew.

When you find that 5% return on investment, no matter what the world is doing, no risk investment, please let us know. Risk VS ROI, everyone wants to eat their cake.

If a little more risk is acceptable the Global Dominating Dividend stocks might fit the bill. Stuff like MacDonald, Coke, Proctor Gamble, Microsoft, Walmart, Johnson&Johnson, and the list goes on. Slow steady growers that pay dividends.

http://stansberryresearch.com/invest...idend-growers/

Bottom line there are no investments out there that pay 5% with 0 risk. Zero risk is a money market or a credit union paying 0.8% or something.
For a short term investment (< 2 yrs) do you think it makes more sense to buy individual stocks or index fund like this Vanguard?
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...FundIntExt=INT
Old 12-16-2014, 08:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

with stocks your eggs are in one basket. And the next two yours could be very very very bad or we could see new highs. If I knew I would be on the Lambo site not a Honda one!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

There is far more pending factors dictating severe swings in the market today, its just too volatile to tie any of my money into. We could literally drop into a depression next week, or have another boom for a few years. The world is chaotic and the markets are global now, so there is a lot more influencing what’s happening. And again, insider trading, manipulation on currency form the world banking cartels, oil price manipulation, corporate thugs, all of which surmounts to the little guy not being able to partake in any of it, not without throwing away their life savings over the long term. Its not the good ol days your parents enjoyed anymore.

The only investing I consider to still be worth the risk, is a 401k if you have one, in which your employer is giving you free money to a particular percentage, this allows you a cushion before losing your own money, wile having a better chance of gaining something.