Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

million bucks

Old 12-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, Im not the richest guy in the world, and I pay 49% on my income taxes...I lose half of all money I earn. If you win money, not only are you automatically in the upper tax bracket, you are also subject to lottery tax, which varies from state to state.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you are being too literal. I think the real question is could you live off the interest on $1 million, I think winning the lottery is just a metaphor for "acquiring it out of the blue".
Old 12-21-2006, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree,Dec 21 2006, 11:07 AM
I think the real question is could you live off the interest on $1 million, I think winning the lottery is just a metaphor for "acquiring it out of the blue".
I agree but I didnt know some people who arent even in the upper tax brackets are paying 50%. that sucks!
Old 12-22-2006, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Amit,Dec 20 2006, 07:56 PM
I doubt anyone on this forum could retire with a million dollars. I say that considering the fact that it's a sports car forum, and most of us own one or want one. to retire with a million dollars you'd have to have a a very basic lifestyle and live in the boonies, and even that's iffy.

the funny thing is the average joe that doesn't have a clue about the financial world probably thinks they would live like a king for a million bucks.
I could easily retire, completely with one mil... I do live in the boonies, as i define it.. but if you label all midwest usa cities as boonies, then I would be in the boonies.. (assuming I will get a full mil after taxes)

and basic lifestyle.. what would that be.. ? what is basic to some may not be to others..

give me 1 mil $, and I will live like a king, in a lake house high on a cliff, retired..
give me 1/2 mil $, and i will live very well retired.. and in both cases, my lifestyle would be anything but basic.. as I view it..

as long as I'm content, that's all that matters..

I'm just a tad over 50, and still enjoying doing most things that I did at 20.. guess I'm still just "a kid at heart" ..

I'm only working now because I can.. and still enjoy what I do..

cheers
Old 12-24-2006, 02:19 PM

even at 4% back you still couldnt live off it.
So you could not live off $40,000 a year net?

DY - I think you could live quite comfortably off $1 million. My G-parents are RETIRED on $700k. The market (average over the past decade or so) has grown at approx. 7.5%/yr. If you are with the AVERAGE (and you should be with a well diversified portfolio) you will make $75k each year. If this is invested in a Roth IRA, any distributions (up to the original million) are tax free.

Personally, I would invest in Real Estate. I know the market is slowing, but it will never completely die. Real Estate represents a fixed asset that you own. Stock only represents your share of a company's net assets, which can change from year to year. You can always be issued more stock, but they are not making land anymore (except in Dubai ). Real Estate has historically been a safe investment, and if you can buy a house and not pay mortgage / rent, you will not need much to live.

I've had my home on the market in San Diego since before Thanksgiving and not only can't get any offers I can't get anyone to even come look at it. Two people have viewed it in the last 30 days and none of them even left a card.

I listed it for $525K and it was appraised last year for $580K so go figure.
Wow. That sucks. California I think is the exception (we have a home near Tahoe that dropped almost $100k in value this year....but this is on a $700-800k house), but it could be due to the holiday season. Real Estate is a very cyclical business, with peaks from May-September and lows from Sept - April (holiday and tax season). I am putting mine on the market next month, and I already have several interested buyers (not even LISTED YET). I bought it for $120k (1200sq ft and pool) 3 years ago, and I am selling it for $180k (now 1500 sq ft and pool but w/o garage). Put roughly $7k into it. Also, when you are in the $500k area, your mortgage payment can probably only be afforded by wealthy individuals, so your demographic is limited. I invest in ~$100-150k rentals, and flip within a year.

John