Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Moving into 'cash' for a while

Old 09-24-2014, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fair enough.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:13 PM

We've had about a 7% correction since my original post in both the Dow and the S+P.

I was ready to move back to my original positions around 11am today but waited to see if the markets would end even further down (Dow was down ~400 pts at one point) or if they would correct. Turns out they started to correct so I'll keep my money where it is in case there's more trouble ahead.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Dave
We've had about a 7% correction since my original post in both the Dow and the S+P.

I was ready to move back to my original positions around 11am today but waited to see if the markets would end even further down (Dow was down ~400 pts at one point) or if they would correct. Turns out they started to correct so I'll keep my money where it is in case there's more trouble ahead.
In my country we call this Q2 of a Bull.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:32 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by chi.ted
Historically, 92% of market returns are captured by having the proper asset allocation. The other 8% is due to market timing and security selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What asset allocation model equates to this 92%?
Old 11-10-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

So, Mr. Dave...I am no expert, just a day trader amatuer with 15 years experience, and I have done ok with my hobby, and my self directed IRA.... about selling everything:

I have been tempted hundreds of times over the years, after all sitting on a loosing portfolio sucks big time no matter what you are invested in. Anxiety builds and you wonder if you missed out....

I put this to you....when you plan on going into something, it is a guess at best, and facts can change, best bet is to get out and get into something else that you are guessing is better....and buy on the way DOWN....its counter intuitive I know and it's ballsy...but it can work .....

Also getting out of everything to avoid a pullback....not a good thing, eventually where did you end up? maybe pulling out some profits, always good, you never can guess the highest place in the market to sell or the lowest to buy, just average someplace in between.

Indexed funds are mutual funds, but indexed to top performance stocks...and of course diversification is the only free lunch (I am a KRAMER fan). I do individual stocks in companies I have researched and continue to researh...not what others speculate, but what their financials are, public perception (think wholefoods vs. a tobacco company, or MCD vs. CMG), and what these companies do. I stick to what I know and have at least one very speculatative risk, like BABA or NFLX. Each month I look at what made money and what did not...EX I got in MDBX, thinking it would be a good buy, it was then it was not....

I also keep 10-20% in cash which earns me nil, but is available for that good new buy or optomistic IPO.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:31 AM