Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Natural gas jobs

Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Natural gas jobs

Is anyone in the natural gas industry? I am currently going to school and am looking into changing my major to petroleum and natural gas technology. I am wondering if anyone has any tips or advice.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the industry. Have you had any experience in the field? One thing I have learned in the 5 years I have been doing it is that it's boom or bust baby!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:06 PM

No experience. I'm in my last 2 years of school after this spring. In the summer of 2014 I will be doing an internship for the summer then finish my last year of school.

Did you go to school for this or did you just get a job? How do you like the work and what is your position?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't go to school and I am in the sales aspect of it. So I see many different aspects of the business. I love it and it has taken care of my family and our needs to the fullest. The only reason why I made my previous statement is you will learn it's great when it's here but when i'ts gone then you either follow it along or you don't make money. Being where I am at I have seen it up and down and back up again. It's very good money for someone without a family as they can travel and take advantage of the business. That being said I have seen a lot of guys that jump from company to company to make money and it's not uncommon for people to do that.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-04-2013, 09:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I see you are from PA, so I assume you are being lured by the Marcellus Shale natural gas deposit. What are you studying now? Hopefully it's science or engineering.

Geology and geotechnology are key for discovery and drilling.

Chemical and mechanical engineering for refining and distribution.

Environmental science and law will be critical with the Marcellus shale. There's tons of outraged citizens thinking they are being poisoned by the drilling and extraction. I suspect they are partially right, so these drillers will be held to high standards by the DEP and EPA to avoid groundwater contamination, so they will need to understand the law. When they eventually have an accident, somebody has to clean it up.

Sales and marketing will boom like Iceman was stating. Natural gas is now 1/3 the cost of oil per BTU, so people will want to switch. You could work for the local gas utility or even plumbing/hvac contractors selling natural gas conversions to home owners and businesses.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 AM

Petroleum and natural gas engineering at Penn State. There are plenty of jobs right up around me
Old 04-05-2013, 11:38 PM

I am up in PA, I am a Flowback Tester for Oil States Energy Services. I went to college and got my degree in Finance, but love doing this way more.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Shocker
I am up in PA, I am a Flowback Tester for Oil States Energy Services. I went to college and got my degree in Finance, but love doing this way more.
What do you do exactly? The pay seems to be pretty good starting off in this field. I love oil and gas stuff.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:41 PM

I mean it depends what you consider good. Like a pad will have 5 or so companies doing different parts of the operation. It all depends if they are drilling out or doing sales or what. It's kind of messed up but the people doing all the hard ass work and in the main danger area. They get like 10-14/hr but are only paid when they work. So they typically make around 55-60k from what I understand. My position is the best on the pad besides some of the supervisors. I handle the actual flow of gas off a well head to sending it down the pipeline kind of. Or bleeding of brine water during drillouts, basically anything that flows involves me. Like now I am just sitting on a pad and getting out once an hour and taking readings and watching equipment. I'm on overtime so I'm making $42/hr for 12 hour shifts and all my expenses are covered also
Old 04-06-2013, 07:48 PM

$42/hr is really good. So you do have any school experience in this at all? A place close to me offers a two year degree in petroleum and natural gas compression certificate. Do you know anything about that?

Quick Reply: Natural gas jobs