Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Newb questions on buying/handing physical gold bullion

Old 09-21-2011, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^

Guns and ammo are certainly essential to a well-balanced portfolio in this current climate, along with gold. But I don't have some planet of the apes, mad max, zombie apocalypse fantasy of doom. Rather, I'm basing my financial decisions and opinions based upon the realities of history, in concert with the current actions of this Fed and Gov.

I don't want this. I didn't ask for this. It simply IS - factually, mathematically.

Civilizations have been down this road before, over and over and over again throughout the history of fiat currencies. Our brilliant "academics" in charge are surely thinking the same thing as their predecessors, "It's different this time." Unfortunately, it isn't. Math is math. Math is correct every single, relentless time and doesn't give a crap whether you have a Ph.D in economics or a bachelor's degree in making pottery. Math will do what it has to do, regardless of Pollyanna unicorns and rainbows.

Again, I don't have some end-of-the-world, mad max doomer fantasy. People will do what they have to do to get by. Sure, there will be those who take advantage of the situation, and that's where the guns and ammo come into the equation. But we're not facing "The Road" unless there's nuclear Armageddon. If that occurs, yes, PM's are worthless.

When a currency collapse occurs, gold historically has been the go-to store of wealth.

A very recent example to debunk the myth that "you can't eat gold":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HNe_...eature=related
Old 09-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sevenrd
OP, yes. Those coins have both (historically) intrinsic and (current) extrinsic value, but are not as pure as bullion. For example, a 1 oz. gold eagle is about .916 pure gold, whereas a 1 oz bar of bullion from credit suisse is .999 pure. And I see no need or reason to have some arbitrary fiat denomination stamped on a lesser piece of gold. It kind of goes against the whole reason for owning PMs. Just take that into consideration when comparing the premium asked over spot. You'll probably get the better deal buying the non-denominational bullion...in addition to getting purer PMs.

Just wanted to clear this up...a 1oz gold eagle is 1oz of pure gold. A 1oz gold eagle weighs MORE than 1oz. It CONTAINS 1oz of pure gold and a little bit of other metals to make it stronger and less prone to damage. 1oz eagle and 1oz gold bar have the SAME 1oz of pure gold.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the clarification, NFRs.

Regardless, premium over spot always favors bullion over eagles, at least in my part of town.