Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Should i buy a house at 26?

Old 07-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that it lost among the most in property values. But it is still the #1 future destination for the aging population. I feel, IMO, that we are going to be talking about the people that bought houses during the housing meltdown, who are now making out like a bandit. Sort of like people who bought homes on Long Island for $150-200k in 95-2000, who cashed out selling it for $300-400k in 1995-97 and used that profit to buy something down South.

I agree if u have a college education in a well paying field in NY, you are doing good, even with the high cost of living. It's the people who arent, that are paying $1600+ for a 2/3 bedroom, and not getting ahead. My mortgage is $790 down here. U can flip burgers and still pay that. My anger is with New York and families being forced to leave, due to the outrageous cost of living.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Banned

Tell me if you have that NY money, u would not jump on this as an investment in Florida. I would be willing to put up my S2000, u would be seeing a handsome profit in 2023. This goes for at least $500k in Nassau, possibly higher. Buy it, live in NY, rent it out down here. http://www.realestate.com/detail/149...PORT-FL-34289/
Old 07-22-2012, 12:42 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by newyawkballa
Tell me if you have that NY money, u would not jump on this as an investment in Florida. I would be willing to put up my S2000, u would be seeing a handsome profit in 2023. This goes for at least $500k in Nassau, possibly higher. Buy it, live in NY, rent it out down here. http://www.realestate.com/detail/149...PORT-FL-34289/
i do and i wouldn't lol. i invest into businesses & commercial real estate. Much more lucrative but harder to get into.

im doing decently well & i still didn't buy my own house yet. Im only 23. I rent an apartment in Manhattan and near West Palm Beach. Also i rent for MUCH less than i could buy for.

Buying for many younger guys is stupid. I couldn't tell you where ill be living in 5 years. I can't tell you what kind of house or how big of a house ill want in a couple years when i get married. I can't tell you how much money im going to be making in 5 years.

Even with savings if my business has troubles i would be screwed if i owned my own home. Selling a house these days is difficult unless you either A. take a HUGE hit and sell to a cash buyer or B. Wait for a mortgaged buyer (takes 6 months at least) and take a smaller hit.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 PM

I highly recommend looking at purchasing a house right now. Interest rates and home prices are low, which you can guarantee yourself for years to come.

I purchased my house about a year and a half ago when I was 22. I graduated college with no debts (my parents were kind enough to cover my tuition all 4 years) and about $10k in the bank from working while attending school. I lived with my parents while drawing a full-time salary for six months, banking all of that as well.

Here are a couple of things that can make your situation a little more flexible:
1) Look for a house that can rented out. If you decide to move, then you can find someone to occupy the property and maybe even provide some additional income. I never intended on staying in my current location, but chose a townhouse in a neighborhood where many of the homes are rentals (most of my neighbors rent).
2) Look for features that make your house roomate-friendly. I have two bedrooms, two bathrooms. They are on separate floors, so my roomate and I don't interfere in each others' spaces. Her contribution each month covers nearly half my monthly housing expenses.

I understand your concern, but through some smart shopping you can stay flexible and find a means to keeping your housing cost steady or maybe lower than it would be renting.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:48 PM

I just bought my house a few months ago right before i turned 23. Was able to put 20% down to get around the PMI and obtain a 3.5% rate. I'm doing pretty good so far
Old 04-07-2013, 07:28 PM

My wife and I just got one as well. no PMI and 3.5%. It's a really good time to buy. In the OC right now it's hard to find a house. You have to give the offer pretty much right after you see the house. Thy are getting snagged that fast!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can afford it, and smart about it, right now is a great time to purchase!

Low rates, Prices are still really low! If you have good credit and 20% down, you can really save!

I am a realtor, so I may be a bit bias. Currently am in the process of buying a shortsale town house that is 3br, 2.5 bath that will rent for way over our mortgage payment should we want to move up or move out of state.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You should totally buy a house. I bought a house about 3 years ago I'm 25 now. I didn't buy it for myself I bought it as an investment property.

I kept going back and forth from the idea of rehabbing and selling it to make a quick lump sum of money or should I rent it out?

I decided to go the renting option!

The house is fully paid for purchased it at auction paid cash all up front.

My father and I did the rehab brand new everything! Would have finished the project in 3-4 months if we didn't let other work get in the way

I am renting the residence out to nice respectable Section 8 family. That means guaranteed rent roll every month from the government with no BS story of work being slow and crap like that. Oh annnnd I still own the property!