Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > Off-Topic > Money and Investing
Reload this Page >

Starting freelance tutoring out of my own home

Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Starting freelance tutoring out of my own home

Old 07-09-2015, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting freelance tutoring out of my own home

I know this section doesn't get a lot of traffic but I was hoping to get some folks' opinions on doing some freelance math tutoring for the higher maths (anything from algebra to calc 3) out of my own home. Essentially I would be running an "in-home office" "business" which will obviously be in another category of taxes.

Since this would be a relatively straightforward "business" (no overhead really, except maybe an umbrella policy) I was hoping some people here are familiar with what I might be able to take home versus what I'm going to need to give to uncle sam. I'm not looking for specifics or anything, but just a ballpark feel of how it should work out.

The reason I ask, is because I want to do this because I always enjoyed tutoring math and it's something I felt was rewarding; while at the same time I'm thinking it could support a little extra income for toys. But if I'm going to be making next to nothing at the end of the day, it may not be worth it to me. I will still hold my full-time job which takes absolute priority. This would be a few nights a week in the evenings, "on the side" per-say.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:29 AM
Community Organizer

Received 222 Likes on 210 Posts

I dont think you have to report any income (or if you do there is no taxes) if its less then $5000? annually. I could be off on the exact number but thats what I recall. I dont know how much you plan on making.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky View Post
I dont think you have to report any income (or if you do there is no taxes) if its less then $5000? annually. I could be off on the exact number but thats what I recall. I dont know how much you plan on making.
I'm estimating between $8k-$12k in income from this, annually. I already have some people I believe would be easy clients, I've talked about it in conversation as something I've wanted to do and they were on board (with their high school children). I have excellent references from tutoring in the past and I think the fact that I'm a successful engineer will help gain confidence in my abilities (albeit being an engineer and being a teacher are two totally different things lol).
Old 07-09-2015, 05:57 PM

just call your tax guy or accountant would be able to tell you in a few mins. depends how much you already make but I would think 35% to be safe. if its cash I wouldn't report it
Old 07-10-2015, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by cleenyc99 View Post
just call your tax guy or accountant would be able to tell you in a few mins. depends how much you already make but I would think 35% to be safe. if its cash I wouldn't report it
Yea I need to just look up some tax law. Last time I went to accountant for my taxes I didn't learn anything more than I already knew, mostly because my father is an old CPA who just hasn't been in accounting for a while (other than running his own small businesses).

And taking cash for something like this and not reporting it is way too risky. That's how you end up in jail: "hiding" income from uncle sam, ESPECIALLY business income. I have too many positive things going on to risk going to jail for keeping a few grand a year from uncle sam......

Old 07-13-2015, 08:08 AM

yeah very true if its a legit business. so your dad could probably give you an idea.