Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Student loan vs. mortgage interest rates.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by limbo
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1344572121' post='21926300
[quote name='limbo' timestamp='1344558439' post='21925946']
More debt is never the solution, have we learned nothing from our current crisis?
there is no change in the level of debt if he rolls his student loan into a home loan at a fixed lower rate.

What I've learned is that most people dont understand money.
I understand money quite well. The only real solution is to pay off the debt IMO.

How do u know he'll be able to get a fixed rate second mortgage at a lower rate? Or even get one at all? What about the financing fees on the 2nd mortgage? Refinancing it into a home loan may also extend the length of repayment increasing total interest paid.[/quote]
I don't. You've provided more 'inputs' than were provided, but lead with a false statement 'more debts'.

If he takes 2% off his student interest rate, plus assume a small fee $1500-2000 and is able to get it fixed. How much would he have to be currently borrowing on student loans to be ahead on a standard payoff rate equal to that off his current loan repayment schedule?

What gets more interesting about all of this. Assume he has the student debts prior to the home loan, reasonable, the underwriters of his home loan factored this in and in effect 'underwrote' the entire debt.

I suspect he can get a lower rate, but without a full, and complete review, the best suggestion anyone here is going to be able to offer him is a half answer. Not a silly falsehood.